Recording...How come....

headknockah

ok i got a recording question...

i use sound forge to record my tracks...i do my best to make sure that i am recording as close to 0.0 without clipping as possible...i send my better tunes to doa to be put up in their unsigned section...when i listen and compare vol of my tunes and other tunes on the net mine are quieter..why is this...am i doing somethign wrong...do i need to ignore the clipping light and make sure i get things recorded so that they are at the same vol as all the other stuff up on the net?

More important than the peak volume of the track is the average volume.... The human ear is much more sensetive to average volume instead of a single peak which lasts 1 thousandth of a second...

Look into getting hold of a limiter plugin - i'd reccomend either Waves L1 or Waves L2 Ultramaximizer.... they will increase the average volume of the track without driving any of the peaks into clipping range....

the key thing to note is that there's a big difference between *actual* volume and *perceived* volume....

P.S as you sound like you're a hardware man - the waves L2 is also available as a rack mount unit - although it will probably cost the yearly income of a columbian drug lord to purchase....

Behringer probably do a cheaper knock-off :D

well, since you have soundforge, try using the wavehammer effect to master your tracks. i usually like to do percussion, bass, & hi's all seperately, and then mix them and apply wavehammer again. but do be cautious with the compression settings (but ya probably know that :teeth: ).

tv_g said:
well, since you have soundforge, try using the wavehammer effect to master your tracks. i usually like to do percussion, bass, & hi's all seperately, and then mix them and apply wavehammer again. but do be cautious with the compression settings (but ya probably know that :teeth: ).

that did the trick...

thanks for the feedback guys

ez

Back
Top Bottom