Recording from deck to Mp3 file

Discussion in 'Waffle' started by DJ_DAFT, Feb 13, 2008.

1. DJ_DAFT

DJ_DAFT is back

Hello People,

Iv seen you lot sickin your own mixes up on this fourm - im having probs with buyin a bit of equipment that will allow me to record my mixes - can anyone suggest a good tool for this - i have a laptop but what software and equipment shall i purchase????

It would be much appreciated if you could get back to me.

Cheers!

2. facelessmonkey

facelessmonkey Dj Premise

I use goldwav with my laptop, its very easy to use but not sure where you can get it from.

3. danfreeman1

danfreeman1 Active Member

i use audacity. then just take a lead out the back of my mixer and into the mic on the soundcard

4. DJ_DAFT

DJ_DAFT is back

what sort of lead??? and were do i get a sound card from....This is all very confusing

5. DJ_DAFT

DJ_DAFT is back

I looked on htfr.com and that has confused me even more...

6. DJ_DAFT

DJ_DAFT is back

7. logikz

logikz I Am Not The King Staff Member

mate im pretty sure you already had that on your computer, the mic input? next to where the headphones go in?

8. $marty

$marty Dexcell Staff Member

Phono 2 small headphone jack then into the mic input on your PC as logikz said. I use soundforge to record. Always does the trick

9. Dustek

Dustek Finished the PhD

HTFR has probably raped you. Cancel your order or send it back. You probably don't need this card and if you do, then you can buy something like it for a third of the price on Ebay.co.uk.

Look on your laptop.

Do you have a hole to stick headphones in?

Next to that hole there should be one that says "line in" "mic" or has a picture suggesting inserting something. Or check your manual. Look for a "line in", "mic", "audio in" or "audio input" "port".

You connect your mixer to your laptop using this port (hole). You can buy cables to connect your mixers outputs (they're called RCA outputs, use record or booth or whatever you want) to your laptop directly (RCA -> jack).

That's the physical side of connecting your system.

To record, just look on Google for free recording software.

10. ScottyEightSix

ScottyEightSix HUGE EARS > COMEDY CHIN

You need a headphone jack to aux cable chould look somthing like this.
    [​IMG]

Do you get software with this?

11. DJ_DAFT

DJ_DAFT is back

Thank you very much lads - i understand what your sayin now - very well described Dustek...why waste £30 when i can buy a cable for next to nothing and get the software for free....cheers people!!!!!!

Im gonna be stickin a few mixes up on ear soon - myt leave it till march now tho cos im off on holiday on the 25th - off to venezuela for 2weeks with the missis....gonna be PHAT! fishing for Parana'z, swimming with the dolphine's and smokin dope with the monkeys...oh and dont forget sniffin the white stuff with the columbens.lol only jokin about that last bit....but cant wait!!!:D

Oh one more question - what will the quailty be like tho if i just use a cable with the software??? wont it be better Qual if i buy this device???? hit me up and let me know...

12. danfreeman1

yeah i was guna buy that until i realised i didnt need it.

if u get audacity then u can change the quality ect...

i would also suggest setting up all the levels so they are sweet before u start mixing, might take a fustrating half hour but it will be worth it.

that holiday sounds cool (especially the last bit ;))

13. Dustek

Dustek Finished the PhD

No.

If you spent a couple of hundred quid on an extra special super duper soundcard yes (if listened to on audiophile equipment) but there is no need for you to spend that money. You're not recording Nightlife 5... and you're going to be compressing into mp3 which will affect the quality anyway. Oh keep the cables as short as possible, they're important.

14. DJ_DAFT

DJ_DAFT is back

Will do mate - cheers for the advice...oh yes the last bit...Mohahahahaha....LOL

15. DJ_DAFT

DJ_DAFT is back

Thanks again & yes i will try and keep them as short as poss.

16. ScottyEightSix

ScottyEightSix HUGE EARS > COMEDY CHIN

While were on the subject of recording mixes, Ive got a laptop which is about 5 years old, its got a mic input, and ive got the headphone jack to aux cable, I think my coms got a Yamaha sound card but i dont know wether the mic input works for audio input aswell. I remember hearing some mention somthing about having to switch it from mic to audio input on the sound setting in the control panel but my com doesnt have that option. Does anyone know if i will still be able to record my mixes though the mic settings? Also does anyone know where i can get some free software to record my mixes as i dont want to go out and spend money i havent got if it isnt going to work.
    Cheers in advance

17. danfreeman1

yeah it should do...personally i use audacity and its the best program ive used so far. u can probably find it by typing it into google.

as for the mic thing. i just put it in the back and it worked. u might have to adjust the mix volume though