Recording audio from vinyl

DjCartel

VIP Junglist
This isn't entirely a production question but kind of is. At the moment, when i record a mix i use the record out of my mixer, which is rca and using an rca - 3.5 adapter, plug it into the line in of my computer. I dont think this provides the best sound recording quality and was wondering what i could use to better it. Id also like to get better samples from vinyl using the same method. I found this:

http://www.alesis.com/phonolink

Would something like that improve my recording quality at all? And if so, how? Cheers all!

Good question man.

You're right in that going RCA to 3.5 will not provide the best quality, as you're essentially downgrading the signal path.

That Alesis phonolink is alright, but I would personally shoot for something capable of recording at 24bit and with an input option of 1/4" and/or XLR rather than RCA (if your mixer has 1/4" and/or XLR outputs). To add, if your mixer has 1/4" or XLR outputs, I would opt to use those instead of the RCA outputs. To add, the quality of the unit's A/D converters/preamps will also factor into the end result. I'm not sure how much you're looking to spend, but TC Electronics and Roland make some nice budget friendly interfaces with great component. quality.

Finally, when you start recording those signals, give yourself a bit of headroom (around -6db) so you can have some space to experiment with processing, FX, etc. To add, (and someone please correct me if I'm wrong) I believe recording a very hot signal from vinyl will actually increase noise...again, I could be wrong here–but I'd still record at a level with a bit of headroom in tact.

Last edited:
Cheers for the response man, I decided to go ahead and buy one earlier as it goes. Its just a small one, unknown brand but it was half price for 15 quid so i thought fuck it. Set it up and recorded a mix with it earlier and the audio quality is better, much better low end on it. Its only 16 bit but still seems better. Unfortunately my mixer only has one pair of xlrs, which are used for my monitors so there out of the picture. Cheers for the response, ill bare in mind the headroom when recording for production, as i always like to play around with the samples a bit. Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom