Recording at live venues for CD packs...

boobjunkie

VIP Junglist
How exactly do they do it? its got all the crowd noise in the background, so do they literally just set up a mic somewhere and plug it into a recorder?

I think its just the sound the mic the mc is holding catches, as you will see them point it at the crowd when they cheer

They have a mic above the crowd, usually on both sides of the stage.
Then I'm guessing they record straight from the mc's mic as well.

They use laptops to record, so when you look at some videos (look on youtube), you see the laptops and them fiddling around with the levels etc, and the crowd noise is from the MC's mic (and any others there may be).

i always thought it was the output of the main mixer (where all the equipment including the mic goes into), if they have one..

A mate of mine records DnB Arena events for their website - says it's a fairly complicated job as you've got to think about the MC's Mic, the Mixer and sometimes ambient mics in the room - the really complicated part is getting the balance of all these sounding right, which is why so often tapepacks sound whack...

Also what's a bit of a pain is that what sounds good at the venue won't necessarily sound good on the recording, so you're constantly battling trying to get a good balance... He says some of the MC's are more helpful than others and will check in with him to make sure the recording levels are good, wheras others are more focused on the night and completely ignore him!

Back
Top Bottom