Recording a mix - (software question)

Tundra

Raggo
VIP Junglist
Ez people, I have recently been trying to record my first mix to post online, been trying to record through audacity and the sound quality when I play it back is really bad and distorted, is there any way to adjust the settings in audacity to get around this or can people suggest another software to record a mix? (I'm currently using 2 x stanton T.62's and behringer NOX303mixer, connecting to laptop via USB connection)

You might want to have the inbound levels relatively low, around 2 or 3.. but the problem could lie in the connection. Certainly in my case in the past, connecting to my laptop via the mic in produced terrible distorted to hell results, but connecting via a external soundcard which had a line in jack (my laptop didn't have one) magically made it come out beautiful sounding.

Is the USB connection from a external soundcard or direct from the mixer?

Last edited:
TrackExampleClipping.png

make sure your waveform fits in the window. you see that image? thats not bad, it fits in the window nicely. the vertical red lines shows where it has clipped (been too loud)
if your recording clips, it will distort and sound gash.

if it looks like this...
EjiwO.png

delete it... you need to adjust your recording in levels accordingly

Last edited:
^^^ what Ted said.
Also there might be another bar / couple of bars that bounce to the beat of the tunes. Same, that if the bars are peaking at the top of the scale too much, they may cause a distorted recording.

I stopped using Audacity time ago as it let me down more than a few times, getting to the end of recording an hour long mix, then not being able to save, or the program freezing + my friend had the same problem a couple of times. Someone on here recommended Goldwave, and I now use that. Works roughly in the same way to record mixes

Thanks for the advice everyone will give it another go tonight

You might want to have the inbound levels relatively low, around 2 or 3.. but the problem could lie in the connection. Certainly in my case in the past, connecting to my laptop via the mic in produced terrible distorted to hell results, but connecting via a external soundcard which had a line in jack (my laptop didn't have one) magically made it come out beautiful sounding.

Is the USB connection from a external soundcard or direct from the mixer?

USB connection straight from mixer

Thanks for the advice everyone will give it another go tonight

USB connection straight from mixer

If i were you i'd get rca's to 3.5mm from mixer and go in your computers line in.

Also are your decks grounded properly? Mate had traktor and recordings were completely unlistenable while only minor feedback could be heard live.

Are there drivers for the mixers usb connection? Hunt down any updates.

Got it plugged into a USB 2.0 port?

If i were you i'd get rca's to 3.5mm from mixer and go in your computers line in.

Also are your decks grounded properly? Mate had traktor and recordings were completely unlistenable while only minor feedback could be heard live.

Are there drivers for the mixers usb connection? Hunt down any updates.

Got it plugged into a USB 2.0 port?

I do have my decks grounded to traktor scratch box even though I don't really use it, could this be a problem? also it's plugged into a USB 3.0 port and will check for drivers but don't think there is any

Try a USB 2 port, and ground to your mixer if possible.

cheers mate will give these a try tonight, will probably just ground it to the mixer because I barely use traktor anyway (only time I use traktor is when I'm drawing for a bit of jamp ap haha)

just figured out how to record with audacity and not get it distorted to f00k.

Audacity recording level only goes down to 0.1 - which is 10%
BUT if you go into the properties of your USB Mic (the mixer device) you can actually set it down to 0.01 - 1%

then open audacity and dont touch the recording level slider - now it records at 1% and it didnt clip for me.

worked for me hope its usefull
peace

Haha, I got a pal who's gonna be lookin for Traktor soon if your thinking of selling :P

Was thinking of selling it about a month ago but came to the decision that I need a bit of jamp ap now and again haha

- - - Updated - - -

just figured out how to record with audacity and not get it distorted to f00k.

Audacity recording level only goes down to 0.1 - which is 10%
BUT if you go into the properties of your USB Mic (the mixer device) you can actually set it down to 0.01 - 1%

then open audacity and dont touch the recording level slider - now it records at 1% and it didnt clip for me.

worked for me hope its usefull
peace

That might be the problem, when I turn the recording level down it is too quite when I play it back, big up man

Ez people, I have recently been trying to record my first mix to post online, been trying to record through audacity and the sound quality when I play it back is really bad and distorted, is there any way to adjust the settings in audacity to get around this or can people suggest another software to record a mix? (I'm currently using 2 x stanton T.62's and behringer NOX303mixer, connecting to laptop via USB connection)

Strange thing is, I've recently over the past few months noticed Audacity doing strange things with the low end of things I record directly into it off the net. Originally it ended up being turned very low the input and I assumed it was partly down to that, so I shifted the record level back up, but I seem to notice some sort of boost going on in the bass area or something that is affecting music I record directly into it. I'm also saving it directly to WAV as well. I don't know if it's something I've just never noticed before, as I only use it to record samples or full music if it's some sort of instrumental for teaching purposes in the studio I run. All of this is internal recording. Either way I no longer trust it anymore as it just seems bizarre.

There was a track I recorded , some hiphop instrumental thing in it and remember getting frustrated by how the bass sounded way too powerful while turning up the track levels, so I decided to cut some of it, and now thinking back, it must have been down to the recording in this program.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom