Recording a mix from vinyl decks, then saving/encoding as an mp3

Rusket

Mix an blend
VIP Junglist
When people put their mixes out there they are usually mp3 files. So when they use vinyl in their mix, it will still sound of mp3 quality right? Is there any benefit at all from using vinyl decks to record a mix if it's gonna be encoded as an mp3 file anyway? Other than to have the exclusivity of certain tracks that are vinyl only of course.

Been wondering about this for a while, hopefully someone can clear it up.

nah not really, may sound better if you got your recording levels right but no massive difference.

It will be MP3 quality yes but a vinyl mix will sound different compared to a mix that consists of mixed mp3's. Even if you use the same tracks and mix it exactly the same. Vinyl has subtle imperfections and a certain sound that some people find desirable.

I'm not going to start that debate though. It's all about the tunes and what you enjoy. Personally I prefer using vinyl to CD's or Traktor.

With vinyl you need decent needles, a mixer with a decent output and an audio interface i

Plus when you initially record the mix it is an uncompressed WAV file. You only degrade the quality when you encode it to MP3.

I always save my mixes as WAV files initially and then use that WAV file as a template to encode to whatever format I want.

Yeah it's always a WAV file I save the recording as, then I convert to mp3 and save again. Only matters if uploading if I burn as a CD to give to someone I would burn as the WAV mix

1) If the source material is mp3 you will have quality degradation when encoding your recorded mix to mp3 (again). If your source material is lossless digital audio (CDs/FLAC/WAV/AIFF etc.) this is not an issue.

2) I have compared the digital versions of releases to the same track on vinyl, and at least some labels tend to push their digital masters harder than the vinyl masters when it comes to dynamic range (compression/limiting). Whether that is a good or bad thing is up to you, but there is a difference.

Back
Top Bottom