Recording a mix- Far too much bass? :s

ZackMRG

Circles are Pointless
VIP Junglist
Recorded a mix last night and listening back to it its more or less impossible to listen to due to so much overkill on bass, little bit stumped as to what might be causing it, Im using an Allen and Heath Xone 92, Ortofon Pro-S needles, Macbook 13" and a Citronic Ac-USB1, running it all through Audacity.

Admittedly I'd be surprised if it were the Xone 92 and the Macbook as both are less than a month old, would the counterweights being set wrong on my decks have something to do with it? If not maybe the Phono cable thats attached from the mixer to the Citronic usb be causing a problem if its old and worn?

Any help would be brilliant, was pretty set on getting this mix recorded this weekend but it really defeats the point of recorded when the sound quality is so ruined by extreme bass.

Nope, Never ever put it higher than that, the only things I'll ever tweak above 12 are the mids and trebs.

Pretty sure something along the lines isn't at its best, the bass really is far too over powering in comparison to everything else.

if you are using the filters and have the resonance up, that's your problem. resonance should always be at zero when recording imo... or maybe like 9oclock

- - - Updated - - -

Nope, Never ever put it higher than that, the only things I'll ever tweak above 12 are the mids and trebs.

Pretty sure something along the lines isn't at its best, the bass really is far too over powering in comparison to everything else.

Why can I ask? For like old classics or like with all tunes?

Why can I ask? For like old classics or like with all tunes?

Yeah and for the occasional tune that seems to be mega bass heavy but lacking more mid range- though admittedly I'm still getting used to serious Eq'ing now that i've got a Xone 92 at my fingertips.

Also, I've made a quick recording of the sound quality I'm dealing with here, actions speak louder than words and all that:

Too_much_bass.mp3 - 978.8 Kb

It's not actually distorted is it...it's just there's virtually no middle or treble. Connections maybe?

Driving me insane this is, I've readjusted the counterweights, bought a new phono cable for my phono to usb connector, re-connected my entire set up, the Macbook and Xone are barely a month old, really really havent got a clue whats going on here, pretty pissed tbh lol.

The only things it could be are needing new needles or the usb connector is knackered- do either of those two things sound like it could be a possible cause? Was aiming to enter the Outlook Vinyl Loves comp, but if I dont get this sorted in the next three weeks, it isn't going to happen.

Dem Feels.

did you check the resonance knobs? and do you use the filters?

Yeah theres like maybe two or three parts in the mix where I wanna use the filters- but even then they're never that crazy on the resonance and for the majority of the mix they're turned off :/

I've ordered a new USB recorder off Amazon (http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/behringer-u-control-uca202-usb-audio-interface), the one I'm using right now I've had since I started out three years ago, so I'm hoping thats the reason its fucked up, If not that though I really really haven't got a clue, I've tried literally everything else I can think of, really has stumped me as I recorded a mix not even a month ago and never had any problems whatsoever (Though that was on two decks, maybe the one deck is causing the issue? Fuck knows, I'm really at a loss lol).

Any idea if it'd be possible to reduce bass through Audacity itself? I do also have a trial copy of Ableton that I got free with the Xone if that might have any similar features?

Appreciate all the input here guys, just a shame this mystery still eludes me lol.

Back
Top Bottom