recording a mix - elements fight for space?

co0ke

windowlicker
VIP Junglist
hi hi,

i have been trying to record a mix on my laptop for a while with little success. i recorded one on my pc and the sound quality was fine.

i am recording from the record out of my amplifier into the microphone in on my laptop (phono >> 3.5mm). i have the various input levels turned down low on my laptop, i have the bass/treble on my amp at the default settings, and i have the gains and master on my mixer at a low level.

when i try to record on my laptop, all the highs seem to be forced out whenever the bass comes in (im not turning the bass up high on the mixer either). when listening back to the mix the result is like a 'sucking' effect. its not aparrent all the way through but there are times where it is really noticeable, so i posted two mixes where it is going on.

has anyone had this trouble before, or have any suggestions on how to fix it?

fine/working mix on pc

shitty laptop mix 1

shitty laptop mix 2

any help/advice is much appreciated (y)

You say the record out on your Amplifier? What amp is it? If its a pre-amplified line level out on the amp then fair enough, quite strange but fair enough, if its an amplified signal and your sending it to a line level input then thats your problem.

Although you say you've recorded a mix on a different machine and it was fine, if it was wired up exactly the same then the problem may be with your laptops soundcard.

its a cambridge audio amp and theres no control for the record level out, its just hooked up directly to the laptop, think ur probably right about it jus been shitty onboard laptop sound - thought it post anyway jus incase

its a cambridge audio amp and theres no control for the record level out, its just hooked up directly to the laptop, think ur probably right about it jus been shitty onboard laptop sound - thought it post anyway jus incase

I had a similar problem some years ago. Have you been into the Sound section of control panel? (assuming you're on windows) you can open up the recording section and monitor/change the input levels.

I had a similar problem some years ago. Have you been into the Sound section of control panel? (assuming you're on windows) you can open up the recording section and monitor/change the input levels.

ye ye i have them all really low, the wave form isnt maxed out when recording

Maybe its recording thru the actual onboard computer mic and not thru the line in if you get me...Who knows....

ye i know what ur sayin but i dont think its that cos the quality is too good for an onboard mic... guess ill have to wait 6 months to record a decent mix :(

try it without the amp, has your mixer got another connection to connect straight to your laptop/pc? thats all i do mate and the quality is fine.

try it without the amp, has your mixer got another connection to connect straight to your laptop/pc? thats all i do mate and the quality is fine.

nah it hasnt unfortunately.

maybe i could put a phono splitter on the output of the mixer so that one set goes to the amp, and then one goes to the laptop? think there would be any problems with that?

Back
Top Bottom