Record Shops

Discussion in 'Drum & Bass' started by Subjekt Music, Sep 7, 2009.

1. Subjekt Music

Subjekt Music Well-Known Member

I know most people on here probably buy most of their tunes online these days but does anyone still head down to their local record store and hunt for tunes/promos? And do you have shops that have gems of tunes in them?

I ask cos my local music and video exchange shop has been a goldmine for tunes over the last god knows how many years, for new tunes and old classics. I've picked up tunes in there like Hard Noize (£4), Planet Dust (50p), Alien Girl (£8), Milky Way promo (£4). And i've even picked up brand new promos for cheap like Rock It and Shiners (£5 each), Near Miss (£4), Return To The Temple EP (£8).

I go in there at least 4 times a week just incase anything good has come in and i always find something worth buying

Whats your local record shops saying? And have you ever found something in a shop for dirt cheap even though its really hard to find? Its the best feeling....

2. Joey AdhD

Joey AdhD sweaty scouser

Mine (eastern Bloc) used to be firing, all the latest beats an top promo's, but like most record shops these days it has been shot down with the net, it doesnt have the content anymore, it keeps the same new realeases on the new releases shelf for fuckin ages, only go in once every few weeks now and usually walk out with nothing, i used to go in a couple of times a week and blow all me wages in there, i blame the net, its looking more and more sparse...bad times...i blame tinterweb and MP3's.

3. Prospekt

Prospekt Active Member

You on about the music exchange near BM Soho? If so then yeh when I used to live in London I used to cain that place hard!! Picked up quite a few of the classics you've mention in there for a similar price as well as Watermelon, Black, The Nine, Up All Night etc etc. Also remember going in there once and seeing Brookes Bros - Dawn Treader there on promo like 2 weeks before it had promod anywhere else, online or in shops. Was chuffed!

But yeh, places like that are great man, all about the untapped sources!

4. $marty

$marty Dexcell Staff Member

I miss my record shop :(

5. Subjekt Music

yeah i agree. i used to work in mr bongos in soho, which was a hip hop record shop. I worked there during its last year of business and it was slow compared to how it used to be when i used to go in there as a customer. I miss the vibe of going into a record shop and seeing familiar faces and listening for tunes. It felt like a community in a weird way but the internet has, as yo say, killed that experience pretty much

6. Blurr

Blurr Wasted Selection

My local shop, Banquet, get in all the promos and fresh releases ut fail hard on a back catalogue as it's just everything that hasn't sold in the last 5 years

wish Slammin' hadn't closed their store round the corner :(

7. Subjekt Music

There's that one but theres another one near my house in notting hill gate. its the best place in the world. Classics for cheap and new stuff not to badly priced either. today i got the break ep on promo for 8 quid, hypercaine promo for 5, down the line remix and set it off promos for 4 quid each and heavyweight full release for a fiver! online or in hmv itwould've cost me a fortune. I've been in there and found absolute gems for much cheaper than discogs etc. Like you said....all about the resource!

8. thedjnifty

thedjnifty Well-Known Member

I went down to Run in Bristiol the other week for its first big night at Motion, checked out a local record store the next day which had some pretty sick stuff, picked up Brown Paper Bag (£6) the original Power Of Ra pressing (£6) and the original Nightflight / Quest pressing (£6) was wicked!

Although I still would have loved to have found a few things a bit rarer :D

I'm still on the hunt for Hard Noize and Friday :D

Unfortunately I live just outside of London so I've never really been able to familarise myself with any good "local" record shops, apart from BM Soho, which is all well and good, but at the end of the day they only stock the exact same tunes which I could pick up off redeye, if that wasn't the case, and they managed to get hold of some classics from time to time, I'm sure I'd show my face in there a lot more

So Wayne / Prospect, where's these sick record stores you speak of?! If you don't mind sharing the secret lol

9. ali^

ali^ Bigtingsagwarn

yeah i still try and make it down there, but its a vicious circle, the less tunes it gets in the more people go to that net [myself included] and the more people buying from the net means they can't stock new wax =[

10. Prospekt

Prospekt Active Member

@ nifty, BMSoho is on D'arblay Street which is just off Berwick Street. On that street they have Music Exchange which used to be fucking sick, but last time I went they had reduced the DNB section immensley, which sucks. There's also another shop on that road which has got better and better, picked up so many classics in there. Forget the name, might be Revival Records? Don't quote me on that, either way you'll find it on Berwick Street. Sister Ray which is also on that street aint half bad either. Basically that whole area can be a vinyl gold mine if you dig deep or turn up on a lucky day.

11. djflicky

djflicky Well-Known Member

Kingston?? thats where i used to go if it is

12. thedjnifty

Yeah I have noticed a fair few record shops around that area but from the outside they all look a bit crap! Like as if they would stock everything but dnb! So I never really bothered going in there but I'll have to hunt down this Revival Recs or whatever it's called and see what I can find, luckily I'm quite easily pleased in record shops I'm like a kid in a sweetshop lol

Even if I find something I don't actually want to buy, if it's something old which I've never seen anywhere else before I can simply admire the fact that it's there, and then I feel like just going into the shop has been a good experience, even if I leave empty handed!

Cheers for the tip man!

Quick question though, say ALL the good old classic tunes are bought by people going into a record store over a couple of weeks, how would the store afford to get in any more old classics? Because surely the tunes must cost them as much as it would cost anyone else to buy them off discogs or where ever they would get them from? You don't just find copies of Alien Girl and The Nine lying around by the side of the road lol

13. Toshminosh

Toshminosh Member

Was that Rooted Records you went to?

14. DJNitrousUK

DJNitrousUK Active Member

I have a decent shop, geez saved me the only promo he had of Heavyweight for me!!

15. danfreeman1

danfreeman1 Active Member

my closest record shop is 2 hours away...nuff said :(

16. DJNitrousUK

DJNitrousUK Active Member

I have a decent shop, geez saved me the only promo he had of Heavyweight for me!!

17. thedjnifty

I think that was the name yeah!

Pretty good lil shop man would definately check back in there next time I'm hitting a rave in Brizzle!

18. motion audio

motion audio Active Member

Thats harsh, and I thought where I lived was remote!

19. muzzadj

muzzadj POW!

Love my local.. rounder records!

20. Labrat

Labrat Active Member

id love to buy records locally but the average new 12" here costs $20 or $22. stuff that.
    I just buy second hand records occasionally mainly the rare hard to find tunes that pop up here and there.

I find it rediculous how much more expensive they are here in Australia.