Record shops that still function in Pompey

ThomW

Southsea In Full Effect
Are there any still goin? There's Hands On but their drum and bass selection is well random. Boomhound and Groovefinder both shut now, although I head Groovefinder relocated to a warehouse somewhere.

Are there any still goin? There's Hands On but their drum and bass selection is well random. Boomhound and Groovefinder both shut now, although I head Groovefinder relocated to a warehouse somewhere.
I think that's it (Hands On). Yeah I heard Groovefinder were going to become a 'net' store, don't know if that's still happening though.

its shit.

Bristol is about the only place i know where there are still lots of little record stores about selling dnb. (outside of London).

Even poor old Massive Recs in Oxford (probably the best record shop in the world!!) has shut down.(n)

its crap...but hey, thats the digital age for ya!

And in Brum too, Massive had a store there. Last time I went in though it was MASSIVELY overpriced, and totally empty. They tried to diversify too much imo, as opposed to staying true to one or two genres, they just churned a load of average music out.

Tempest Records in Brum is the only shop I'll shop from in person, even though they're a bit more expensive sometimes you just find those quality tunes more easily than you could ever find them online, so it's worth it. Last time I went in there I spent fucking £80 ¬_¬ Wanted to spend 3x that much, spent an hour just listening to tunes!

Whenever I have the cash, I check out

Kaizen
Intense (sign up and you get 10% off! Which almost covers VAT, so that's nice)
Juno sometimes
Redeye (another very good dubstep retailer)

I refuse to shop at Chemical or HTFR (especially HTFR), they're just way too expensive. Blackmarket (BMSoho now after their license to use the Blackmarket name ran out) is just plain boring, nothing particularly interesting about that shop at all - and they don't even seem to get in the latest stuff that fast either, at least from the web site.

Intense isn't too far away from where I live when I'm not at Uni either, so it's the closest and best thing to shopping locally for me :)

i'm suprised you dnb guys haven't moved onto the cd decks by now, i would say 9/10 psy trance parties that i've been to in london over the last year have used cd decks exclusively.

might explain why all the record shops have closed - that and the fact that the 2nd hand stores have wised up and a lot use use ebay now.

its a dance music hot potato - catch!

i'm suprised you dnb guys haven't moved onto the cd decks by now, i would say 9/10 psy trance parties that i've been to in london over the last year have used cd decks exclusively.

might explain why all the record shops have closed - that and the fact that the 2nd hand stores have wised up and a lot use use ebay now.

Psy Trance......euururuurrg! haha!

who gives a fuck what fucking psy trance is up to....

Dnb...dub plates 4eva!

the day dnb starts emulating psy trance will be a very sad day indeed

cds are all good...but lets not forget our vinyl roots

the day dnb starts emulating psy trance will be a very sad day indeed

cds are all good...but lets not forget our vinyl roots

dnb comes froma very strong dub plate / vinyl history.... i dont think there will come a day in the future when the scene completely gets rid of dubs!

...or at least not whilst i have a breath left in my body!

...flippin' Psy trance... haha!:slick:

i think this thread is starting to go off on a tangent a little!

dnb comes froma very strong dub plate / vinyl history.... i dont think there will come a day in the future when the scene completely gets rid of dubs!

Dubs now take the form of cds burnt with mp3s sent by AIM. Last six big name djs I saw all played some tracks off cd if not all...

Dubs now take the form of cds burnt with mp3s sent by AIM. Last six big name djs I saw all played some tracks off cd if not all...

dubs dubs dubs...lol...

i know Zinc for sure still uses dubs....to name but one.

DUBS FOR EVA...

CDS ARE GAY

before we knoe it everything will be digital. we will have to download our memories from computers, and our lives will be a strange digital veriosn of reality...like the Matrix or something... haha!

Last edited:
CDs are definately making a massive impact on record sales. CDs have more possibilities but drawbacks also.

That said a huge record collection will always look so much better than a CD rack :gpeace:

The majority of top name dj's that are record label owners tend to still use dubs - they can't expect people to go out and buy vinyl if they're not going to bother playing it themselves!

@ Xen - BM Soho's website isn't updated that well because they sell out so quickly of the latest releases/ promos in the shop. Not to mention that a large majority of their stock is put aside for some dj's and regulars who have been using the shop weekly for years - that means that their stock available to the public is reduced, and even more so for the net users

Psy Trance......euururuurrg! haha!

who gives a fuck what fucking psy trance is up to....

Dnb...dub plates 4eva!

wow, seen as its all dance music i thought i'd offer a serious comment on why the record shops have shut, and an example from a similar genre - which i have 1st hand experience of. i don't do dnb parties much anymore - not like i used to.

i don't really like dnb anymore anyway so just for your info i don't really give a fuck what fucking dnb is up to either.. not that it matters.

however i'd rather carry a bag of cd's than a bag of vinyl any day of the week. you would have thought they'd invent a superlightweight alternative to vinyl by now - or maybe its just not worth it.

i still use vinyl though - i didn't spend all that money on my oldskool collection to watch it gather dust.

Last edited:
for further point confirmation maybe have a read of fozzybears's thread on negativity within the dnb scene...

i actually used to freaquent edy c's shop in chichester (vip vinyl) which was the only decent record shop within a fairly local proximity of portsmouth in the late 90's. (big ups edy c)

i always enjoyed a trip to groovefinder though, its a real shame if they have closed down, as i acquired many a gem there bitd.

tis all about the online record stores now imo.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom