RECORD SHOP OWNERS

majikman

IS THERE ANY BODY OUT THERE THAT OWNS THERE OWN INDEPENDENT RECORD SHOP WHO COULD GIVE ME SOME ADVICE AS I AM LOOKING INTO OPENING MY OWN SHOP MUCH THANKS.

i looked into opening my own shop a while ago, but i got screwed over on the money i was gonna use to start it up, so its on hold for a while.
good luck, we need more record shops!

hi thanks for getting back to me would like to know how much was your overall set up costs,and gathering suppliers any info you could give i would be very greatfull

Good luck bro, wish you the best for your business!
Big ups for opening a record shop too, as people have said it's a hard thing in this day & age.

hi thanks for getting back to me would like to know how much was your overall set up costs,and gathering suppliers any info you could give i would be very greatfull
Its a dying breed. Think internet. Fuck teh shop front off. WIth a shop your looking at council rates, and rent that will be high, cos its all about location witha shop. If you are not in teh very centr of town, forget it.

Most record shops deal with the record distributors direct. Knowing how much to order of any one tune is an art form . Also just selling vinyl will not keep your shop going. to survive you need eth tape packs /cd packs, the merchendise, sell tieckets all that shit and again buying teh right amount is an artform. It is very far from easy...maybe set up a trendy cafe/ bar which has a record outlet and you will run a better chance..but well ...times iz hard

Me and a mate are setting up an online record shop.

We have came across lots of vinyl, we have a little collection.

To start with its just going to be small and basic to try and see if we can shift any of these records (second hand) for cheap. They will be selling very cheap to start with. Keep running costs low and just see what happens. Not got a lot to lose really. Then if all goes well we can start getting new stuff in, get advertising on the site etc etc.

Anyone got a online shop?

Its a dying breed. Think internet. Fuck teh shop front off. WIth a shop your looking at council rates, and rent that will be high, cos its all about location witha shop. If you are not in teh very centr of town, forget it.

Most record shops deal with the record distributors direct. Knowing how much to order of any one tune is an art form . Also just selling vinyl will not keep your shop going. to survive you need eth tape packs /cd packs, the merchendise, sell tieckets all that shit and again buying teh right amount is an artform. It is very far from easy...maybe set up a trendy cafe/ bar which has a record outlet and you will run a better chance..but well ...times iz hard

I used to work in a record shop... dunno if it's any different now days, but back then we got all our tape / cd packs on sale or return. They just give you loads and whatever you don't sell they take back.
There was fuck all margin on them tho, same with things like gig tickets.

You could even sometimes negotiate a sale or return with some vinyl on some of the smaller labels who have trouble pushing there music.

You'll need a good few grand to start for furninshings, stock, equipment, cash till etc.

The distribution companies will make you pay cash up front for stock. Some companies are more flexible than others (SRD, St Holdings). Atfter 6 Months, SRD & St Holdings will give you a credit limit. You'll need to stock more than just dnb as well. I sell dnb, dubstep, breaks and reggae on the vinyl front. do hiphop, grime, old school garage, bashment, ragga, reggae, old school hardcore, dubstep, house cd's etc. Clothing helps alot too. I'm stocking brands like King Apparel and Nu Era..Plus i've got Nu Breed, Mc Bassman, Break Thru, Grime Watch tee's in too. Selling tickets for events is another major boost. Eqipment is always a winner. Carts, needles, Record bags, Label merchandise etc.
Cd packs are a winner too. Alot of promoters will try make you pay up front if they don't know you while others give you 2-4 weeks credit. Selling online will help alot.. Not everyone wants to buy from Redeye and Chemical...you'll be surprised how many local djs will start buying if the stock is there.

If your near any local labels, try buy direct from them too. Facebook & forums come in very handy for promoting your business plus hit the students uni. Get a little write up on the flyers for the local raves if you can. Helps loads!!! Build up a data base and email customers with whats coming in that week. Every little bit helps......

Try talking to the princes trust. They throw money at you IF you can come up with a good business plan.

Most important....have an understanding girlfriend too :D

---------- Post added at 19:46 ---------- Previous post was at 19:44 ----------

OOoohhhh. Stock up on Back Cat if you can... DnB & Dubstep. V, Formation, Ganja, Tempa, Dub Police, Kapsize.....always a winner. Old school cd packs sell quite alot too. You'd be surprised how many people want to BUY a cd pack rather than beg for it on a forum lol :D

you definatley dont make it sound easy there escape, and i doubt it is really, fair play i would love to do it, it jus gives that area's scene a focal point for locals. the record shop here went under and now its a subway.........i dont know which 12"s i prefer tho hhhmmmm

Back
Top Bottom