Record Grooves Under an Electron Microscope

Riisu

Not the Preacher Man
VIP Junglist
General interest?
I think so......

http://www.synthgear.com/2010/audio-gear/record-grooves-electron-microscope/

Chris Supranowitz is a researcher at The Insitute of Optics at the University of Rochester. Along with a number of other spectacular studies (such as quantum optics, trapping of atoms, dark states and entanglement), Chris has decided to look at the relatively boring grooves of a vinyl record using the institute’s electron microscope. Well, not boring for me.

From what I read, it’s not just a simple matter of sticking a record under a fancy microscope, as there is a lot of preparation (such as gold-sputtering the surface) and post-processing to be done. Having said that, the results are very cool:

Here is a shot of a number of record grooves (the dark bits are the top of the grooves, i.e. the uncut vinyl):

grooves.jpg

Here’s the grooves closer up – the little bumps are dust on the record:

record_grooves.jpg

And here’s a single groove even closer still, magnified 1000 times:

record_groove.jpg

Chris also did the pits in a CD – here’s what they look like, just for contrast:

cd_pits.jpg

Chris decided to take the whole electron microscope image one step further, and created a blue/red 3-dimensional image of the record groove! So, if you have a pair of 3D glasses (sorry, the ones you got from watching Avatar won’t work – you need red on the left, blue on the right), throw them on and take a look at this amazing picture:

record_grooves_3d.jpg

Maybe these vinyl grooves are only beautiful to an audio geek like me, but I think that these images are truly spectacular. I wonder what we’d see if it was magnified further still? Thanks to noiseforairports for the tip.

Shoulda said shouts to Guy from Commix for posting a link on twitter the other day. Meant to make a thread then but forgot (y)

wow, it's like looking at records if my eyes were a thousand times more powerful, which makes me wonder why i would need to and if i needed to, why didn't nature provide me with more powerful eyes or why don't pressing factories just make records a thousand times bigger so that my eyes don't have to feel inadequate?

and by the way, scroll down and under "similar threads" view my thread... "beard hairs under a microscope". i can promise you it's as equally pointless and ultimatley dissapointing*

niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice
would love to see a close up of a scratch on a record too

Last edited:
The real close up one of a single groove is so sick. Looks like a valley or something. Can just picture the needle riding round them grooves:)

Back
Top Bottom