Record Collecting

Stevie Dee

Apologies for being 'another vinyl thread'.

Just wanted to discuss buying vinyl for the collectibility factor as it usually seems to be overlooked as a reason to keep buying it.

I'm not a DJ but there's something special about having a physical collection and trying to complete labels / back catalogues etc. It just seems comparing the convenience and cost factors of vinyl and mp3 is a bit apples and pears, one is for having efficiency and selection whereas the other is more collectible and premium.

Would be nice to have a thread discussing collecting records and listening to them as pieces of music rather than mixing fodder. Got the Kiyoko EP on right now and it's beautiful :love:

I like the increasing trend of collectible records where the sleeves might be a limited edition screen print or high quality 180g record. Some what changes the experience of taking it out of the sleeve and placing it on the deck.

Would like to see the return of liners notes; with jazz for example it's enjoyable to put the record on the deck and read a bit about the artist/band/session etc.

yeah love listening music from vinyl not just mixing. if a girl comes to my place and i put on a marvin gaye record, it's totally different rather than browsing a file from a laptop. of course cd-s are better of after, but vinyl is best for listenign experience.

also, with vinyl you actually listen to music, mp3-s playing in the background while browsing the net isn't really listening - it's cool to have music in the background, but putting a needle on the record, then preparing a white russian and sitting back after a day is just fucking awesome. love this format, will keep buying these things to the end of my days - best thing to collect ;)

I mix and collect. Dnb is done from redeye, doscogs, and some places in london. But I go digging a few times a month and get lp's I love from out of the genre and usually buy vinyl from what genre, year, and cover it has, without really knowing the artist. Your point about apples and pears is spot on. Its comparable to analogue and digital cameras. Ones for the obsessed, ones for the more casual.

Apologies for being 'another vinyl thread'.

Just wanted to discuss buying vinyl for the collectibility factor as it usually seems to be overlooked as a reason to keep buying it.

all my vinyl is collected. i sold my decks ages ago.. didn't have time. but i randomly buy vinyl because its an awesome tune or becos artwork is sick.

i also collect twisted individual and and amon tobin stuff lol

I'm finding myself less inclined to buy modern drum on vinyl and go down back catalogue lane and try and buy the stuff that isn't available digitally. Plus I've started to buy other genres like dad rock and jazz for general listening. When you listen to music that was recorded purposefully for vinyl, producing that raw sound it really makes the difference. The thing is to mix drum these days you dont really need to buy vinyl. Most stuff is mastered the same for vinyl as it is for digital and unless there's some impressive artwork or its a rare track the vinyl isn't collectable and you don't really gain enough to justify the extra few nuggets.

it's cool to have music in the background, but putting a needle on the record, then preparing a white russian and sitting back after a day is just fucking awesome. love this format, will keep buying these things to the end of my days - best thing to collect ;)

Well said sir, couldn't agree more...

I'm a huge fan of record collecting! If I love a track enough I have to own it on wax. I must admid I've stopped buying most current dnb these days due to the shelf life of certain dnb. Of course if it's a stong enough 12" i'll be buying it on wax. Mostly these days I'll be buying early 90's jungle/dnb though.

Of course I dont just collect dnb, I collect anything! Over the years I've built up a selection of 80's, hip hop, garage, 140, house, funk, jazz. Long live vinyl!!!

I mix dnb records, but have acquired the odd random record from another genre or something that is older on vinyl sometimes.

I still buy new releases on vinyl & probably will until the labels I buy from stop pressing them. I much prefer the feel of mixing on vinyl to digital which is obviously personal preference and I pay for it in the pocket. So be it.

I used to have a huge Green Day collection that I started in my early teens, and even when I fell in love with DNB I still picked up bits here and there, over 1000 items, over 100 of them vinyl. Realised it was more for investment than love of the music. I hated their new bits, sold the lot, made a hell of a lot of money, went on 3 holidays. Wish I had kept some of the vinyl, bits I picked up for less than £5 went on to sell for over £100.

I just used to love the colours and variations. Rainbow vinyls were my favourites. I had their debut single in 8 different colours.

All my punk/metal/indie/garage vinyls have all been moved on.

Now I only own a handful of DNB vinyls, which are all on ebay at the moment.

If I had the cash, I would collect again.

I collected records before i even owned decks.

Same, did that for a year or two. And I don't consider myself any good at mixing. I barely mix tbh, no decks to mix on where I am right now but I still buy. I just think it's a nice object to own/collect. It is really expensive, but I don't smoke or stuff like that so I'm ok with it. I used to buy quite a lot of white label promos but I try to avoid that now, full artwork (y). And I started buying more non dnb vinyl aswell recently, stuff like Lemaitre - Relativity or Breakbot - By Your Side. Not used to having more than 2 tracks on a 12" ^^

nothing gives me a perk on like getting a vinyl in the mail.
especially if its a rare gem ive been after for years

or that smell when you take a brand new one out the sleeve... BRB

I buy vinyl usually if its a vinyl only tune or something collectible like Rockwell reverse engineering... Label printed backwards and cut from the inside out.... Couldn't resist.

Love vinyl! You can't beat that feeling of going through the collection & picking out tunes to listen & have a mix with.
Was going through my darkestral collection the other day, just feels so luxurious!

Back
Top Bottom