Recommendations wanted!!!

TinnitusD&B

Alright guys,

I currently use massive which i think is awesome but i've got into a few bad habits with my set up and what processes i use to create sounds so i think its time i splashed out and bought a new one. I'm sure collectively you all use a wide variety of synths so which ones would you suggest and why?

Looking forward to hearing back from you all.

If you already have massive, you might want something to complement it... I'd suggest an FM or granular synth- these are both things massive doesn't really do.

Have a look at sytrus, harmor, FM8, Iris (I would say alchemy but camel audio have gone)

Other generally good synths are Serum, Z3ta, synthmaster

for a synth: serum. Those z-plane filters are properly excellent.
for a sampler: the mangle, £20 is a steal for a granular sampler of this quality.

Have you invested in any other sound mangling plugins yet? distortions/filters?

No i haven't really bought any plug ins like that yet. It's getting to the stage now though where i think i need to go out and buy some though. Ive got my eye on the fab filter but no others at the moment. What are your favourites bud? I'm gonna go and check out that synth/sampler now, not too keen on logics own so different one might spark my interest a bit more.

Last edited:
Only about 14 months. It's an awesome synth and i can't imagine that i'll ever stop using it.

Do you have ohmicide? I see your on logic, do you use the overdrive plugin? If you use massive, add the overdrive, then ohmicide then EQ, in the bus have another overdrive but dont put much drive on the bus and the channel, have about 1-4 max. Then a reverb bus and youve pretty much got a very effective and simple chain that creates the sickest bass. Gonna have to experiment on ohm because theres a lot of different settings. If you do have it or get it, ill give you a preset that is a great starting block, just fine tune the band eqs and stuff because every bass needs treating differently.

Do you have ohmicide? I see your on logic, do you use the overdrive plugin? If you use massive, add the overdrive, then ohmicide then EQ, in the bus have another overdrive but dont put much drive on the bus and the channel, have about 1-4 max. Then a reverb bus and youve pretty much got a very effective and simple chain that creates the sickest bass. Gonna have to experiment on ohm because theres a lot of different settings. If you do have it or get it, ill give you a preset that is a great starting block, just fine tune the band eqs and stuff because every bass needs treating differently.

I never normally add plug-ins to my massive sounds. I don't know why really but i normally just try and do it all within the synth. I normally apply envelopes and LFO's to the verb and distortion in massive itself. I'll try it out in my next track and post it up.

I never normally add plug-ins to my massive sounds. I don't know why really but i normally just try and do it all within the synth. I normally apply envelopes and LFO's to the verb and distortion in massive itself. I'll try it out in my next track and post it up.

The reverbs in massive are shit. If your on logic use space designer, have a bus verb and see what ones are good. A while ago i did lots in the synth but then I realised that you can get a million times better sounds with a few plugins. Some verbs in space designer can give a sort of freq boost that creates great harmonics and better colours. Also, dont put the eq on the channel first, put overdrive and ohmicide then put eq, because the distortion creates over tones from the sub freq, so when you do low cut it, it will have more harmonics.

The reverbs in massive are shit.

I tend to use the verb more when doing risers, i'll use a performer LFO on it to help build up the atmosphere before the drop. The space designer is awesome, and it's what i use on my verb bus. I never used to have one until i watched the Chords tutorial. It takes forever to find a preset I'm happy with though!

Cheers for the tip on the EQ as well, i normally EQ first unless I'm using compression so i'll bear that in mind next time I'm using overdrive etc. cheers man!

Back
Top Bottom