Recommend me decent free vocal vst's

dj-dusty

VIP Junglist
Alright guys, i need some help with finding some good vsts for vocal processing, the vocals are on a commercial hip hop track just in case your wondering.

Thanks in advance

I would recommend the "vocalist" sing properly to begin with.

Otherwise, I suppose you could google "free autotune clone vst"....

:confused:

well i use melodyne for tuning up the vocals, my vocalist is very good anyway, just every vocalist needs touching up abit

maybe some nice delays, reverbs, compression, eq etc....

You may disagree, but prettymuch every single singer you hear would of had some sort of auto tune added to there vocals. its just to make sure that they are bang on in key, it is fucking hard to hit every single note bang on, especially if its a complicated melody.

Auto tune is your friend lol

maybe some nice delays, reverbs, compression, eq etc....

You may disagree, but prettymuch every single singer you hear would of had some sort of auto tune added to there vocals. its just to make sure that they are bang on in key, it is fucking hard to hit every single note bang on, especially if its a complicated melody.

Auto tune is your friend lol

That logic is used for people who can't hit the notes... real singers can hit all of their notes, that's why they sing.

Nowadays, w/autotune, "anyone can sing"... it always sounds metallic and tinny, nasaly, and 'vocody', but whatever, that's the sound a lot of people around the world have come to enjoy. Imo, they simply don't have a clue what real singing sounds like anymore.

If you want a 'real' example of singing, check out some Enrico Caruso Classical Singing or Pinza. Lol, there's no substituting the real thing for autolame.... sorry.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_M6DcqRjfCI

that ^ = :not_worth

autotuned "singers" = :confused:

That logic is used for people who can't hit the notes... real singers can hit all of their notes, that's why they sing.

Nowadays, w/autotune, "anyone can sing"... it always sounds metallic and tinny, nasaly, and 'vocody', but whatever, that's the sound a lot of people around the world have come to enjoy. Imo, they simply don't have a clue what real singing sounds like anymore.

If you want a 'real' example of singing, check out some Enrico Caruso Classical Singing or Pinza. Lol, there's no substituting the real thing for autolame.... sorry.

lol

Lol, you're the one who needs to process your "vocalist"...

yes i know that, this is why i am asking about some vst's to do the job.

She aint that out of key, but it is just good to make sure, i bet if you got that guys vocals and wacked em in melodyne or another program i bet it would show he wasnt hitting the notes exactly, but yeh i cant be assed to get into an arguement about this tbh.

Back to the original post... can you recommend anything for my shit singer please lol

i bet if you got that guys vocals and wacked em in melodyne or another program i bet it would show he wasnt hitting the notes exactly,

but why on earth would you want a performance that falls 100% within the correct pitch ? all those variations in pitch that melodyne would show as "wrong" is what gives character to great vocal lines.
as you say your singer isnt out too much. which sequencer you using ? just use it's pitch shift function.

Dusty is right about alot of singers being autotuned, and if its done correctly it dusnt sound tinny, u are right mate as well tho, but i dont think dusty is talking about opera is he... he is just asking for advice on VST's

Dusty is right about alot of singers being autotuned, and if its done correctly it dusnt sound tinny, u are right mate as well tho, but i dont think dusty is talking about opera is he... he is just asking for advice on VST's

Exactly, i just wanted some tips on good vsts to use on vocals, that is all.

but why on earth would you want a performance that falls 100% within the correct pitch ? all those variations in pitch that melodyne would show as "wrong" is what gives character to great vocal lines.
as you say your singer isnt out too much. which sequencer you using ? just use it's pitch shift function.

You wouldnt, Im a strong beliver that if it sounds good, then leave it alone, but if you listen back to a recording session that youve done the day before you may notice certain bits that are slightly out of key that you will want to correct.

If i was a better engineer then i would of noticed this while we were recording, but im not lol.

At the end of the day i really dont wanna get into an arguement about it, got better things to do, all i want is some advice on some decent vocal processing vst's, not just auto tune, but whatever.

Like i said, im not that good an engineer im still learning so would love to be pointed in the right direction to a vst that is gonna help me out alot of somthing that comes highly recommened.

Sorry if i offended anyone

no, not at all mate, no offence, and i hope i didnt come across the wrong way either. just discussing the subject thats all.
sure autotune can be useful as an effect, to make fake choirs, doubles etc.
something that i would advice against though, is to just drop the vocal in melodyne, and start pushing each phrase to the "correct" note, simply by looking at what the program suggests. Listen rather than look, and adjust only what sounds to you as wrong. and as i said, for simple corrections of less than a semitone, id stick with the build in pitch shift of your daw.
as far as free plug ins, i havent used it my self, but have heard good words on pitchworks and Gsnap.
http://www.kvraudio.com/get/696.html
http://www.kvraudio.com/get/2192.html
(y)

Last edited:
no, not at all mate, no offence, and i hope i didnt come across the wrong way either. just discussing the subject thats all.
sure autotune can be useful as an effect, to make fake choirs, doubles etc.
something that i would advice against though, is to just drop the vocal in melodyne, and start pushing each phrase to the "correct" note, simply by looking at what the program suggests. Listen rather than look, and adjust only what sounds to you as wrong. and as i said, for simple corrections of less than a semitone, id stick with the build in pitch shift of your daw.
as far as free plug ins, i havent used it my self, but have heard good words on pitchworks and Gsnap.
http://www.kvraudio.com/get/696.html
http://www.kvraudio.com/get/2192.html
(y)

Cheers mate

nail meet head

Exactly, i just wanted some tips on good vsts to use on vocals, that is all.

True enough... sorry guys... I despise the Auto Tune 'vocal sound' and was being a turd when I replied.

You didn't offend me, Dusty... I'm sorry... I was being a prick about it when all you were doing was asking for advice on processing some vocals.

:Iapologize:

Back
Top Bottom