Rebuild studio, working position?

ARTFX

Artist, sound designer and tutor
VIP Junglist
wchichposition.jpg

Okay guys I'm going to rebuild my studio room, now I'm kinda thinking about the position of the desk and chair in my room since I want to get the best out of my room in terms of acoustics. I've attached a little drawing from my room with some dimensions and two possible locations highlighted with an A and an B. Is there anyone out here who can tell me which position will be better from the acoustics?

Thanks!

B, I think.... Partly to do with the angle of the ceiling above helping with reflections (seen this in lots of studios), and the length of the room behind it to help again with the dispersion of frequencies over time. Plus you'll be able to set yourself some distance off the back wall.

These threads might give a bit more insight perhaps -

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/bass-traps-acoustic-panels-foam-etc/576037-30-panels.html

http://www.ethanwiner.com/acoustics.html

Although they're about acoustic treatment, which I'm sure you'll be getting into? They give a bit more insight in the whole thing and stuff to be aware of really. Think the links were posted by someone on here recently, just bookmarked them for later reading :)

I'd post this on the gear slutz forum as well if i were you mate. i think there a whole section dedicated to this and mention that you make dance music.

---------- Post added at 09:56 ---------- Previous post was at 09:55 ----------

also the height of the room might be usefull measurement

The ceiling has an angle from about 45 degrees, the ceiling is about 2.30 in height. I found out that the ideal position would be 38% down the longest wall facing the short wall, this should mean my listening position would be at 2.28 meters down the long wall facing the short wall, and thus having the angled ceiling above my listening position and behind my monitors. This could be wrong, so I might post this on Gearslutz as well.

Yes I'm also going to threaten the room with panels and bass traps, now is it also possible to put the bass traps against the angled ceiling since that is where most of my corners are..

Any help would still be welcome guys!

I'd say desk near the wall maked B with the listening position one third of the way down the rooms length. Some foam on either side wall at the mirror points and ceiling then possibly the back wall.

putting a sofa/bed against the back wall will also help as well as any other soft funishings, bookshelves etc.

2p

Yeahh my bed is going to be on the opposite side like you stated, so that will be good. But why the ceiling? Does that need treatment in this setup? Since the angled ceiling will be above my head when producing.

I'm not too sure.... but having a 'cloud' foam pannel would be more predictable than the sloped ceiling.
As for the bass traps, i might be wrong but you should only get lumps in your frequency response with parallel walls(?) so treating the corners on the far ends that meet the floor, and the ceiling corners in the middle section where they meet the walls. - better to ask on gearslutz as they know better than i do

PS Sorry i repeated the info in one of your posts in my last post. I was in a hurry and didn't read any post except the first one :)

Back
Top Bottom