Reason

Exert

I like trains
Alright lads, just being a nosy shit and wondering if anyone is using Reason and how they're getting on with it?

I've used R4, 5, 6 (demo) and 6.5 now I've finally bothered my arse getting my wallet out for a change and well, I love it. The opportunity to work directly with audio without needing to go through another program is awesome, which may sound odd to other DAW users but it's been a revelation for me and has opened up a few paths which I was afraid/couldn't be arsed to explore before.

It might just be because I've spent money this time round but it's managed to get me out of this bitch-ass sorry mind-block/chronic brainfart I've been suffering from for the past year haha..

Also, I've just discovered the Reason 'online how-to' which is aimed at people (idiots) like me who have used the software but by no means have to it's full potential, there's loads of useful stuff ranging from general EQ/mixing/mastering tips to crazy shit like CV utilisation and in-depth device explanations. It's been a good learning curve so far and seems to be written for people who have dived straight in and can just about program a midi loop but without really knowing what compression is :rolleyes: = me all over..

I don't know if it was just me being thick and ignorant but the Propellerhead website has some seriously good shit on there.

Discovering Reason - ver. 5 and down <- good for the basics, which I still need to learn!
Record U - Record and/or R6+ <- audio and suchlike!

tl;dr = I use Reason, do you? Yes - what do you like/not like? No - Why not?

Cheers guys :grouphug:

wtf, i started using Rebirth on 1998 when a friend of my parents, musician, used to go in thailand for summer.
Me in that period I was off of the internet business.. so the only way to get pirate sw was from friend going in thailand and bringing me pirate CD's of Reason, Acid, SoundForge, Cubase, Cakewalk, Reaktor and Pro tools...
Now, Reason has finally opened his sources to pseudo dedicated "VST" and a mixer with(finally) external input... but still... the seq it's not working as a professional seq.
I love Reason, don't take me wrong, but in my personal taste, I preferre to use it just as a rack and controll it from a more professional seq.
If you want to speak with a masterclass of reason in this forum, look for Neomind!
Bless boy!

Yeah man I got you! What program do you like to rewire to? What don't you like about Reason's sequencer?

I think my plan for the future will be to get the ideas down, work on the sounds some more, then master the stems in Ableton. Or I might just do it all in Reason, or both!

Thanks dude I'll keep a look out for the name!

I'm still on Reason 5 for now, for me its great, it definitely helped the learning curve when I first started, the way it was laid out made more sense to me than starting in a proper DAW and getting confused as fuck, I'm still trying to figure out Cubase but admittedly I have not had the patience to essentially start from scratch when I know I can do what I want with Reason.

I want version 6 so bad... with all the new add-ons and the ability to work with audio, I couldn't think of anything more suited to my needs. Too bad I wasted money on other shit for years now, I need to start saving.

Yea, I still to this day love the flexibility and sound of Reason; and it DRAMATICALLY improved my understandings of audio technology and signal flow when I was just starting out. But, as Rajstah said, the sequencer is just beat, everything about takes forever and, in my opinion, is counter intuitive to a solid workflow to the degree that make me decide to use it as my primary DAW. I ReWire in Ableton currently

Yeah I think that's what I like the most about it, you get to see everything stacked up in the rack, then flip it round to wire stuff up and really virtually experiment with studio equipment.

I think that's what I like about it the most actually haha, I'm a mechanic in 'real life' so it's probably imprinted on my brain to work better with stuff you can see. I find it hard to work with other DAWs because they don't feel real, if that makes any sense!

Yeah from what I've heard/read that's a popular way to go about it, I have Ableton but just haven't really took the time to get into it as much :shake:

Yeah man I got you! What program do you like to rewire to? What don't you like about Reason's sequencer?

I think my plan for the future will be to get the ideas down, work on the sounds some more, then master the stems in Ableton. Or I might just do it all in Reason, or both!

Thanks dude I'll keep a look out for the name!

I never really got my head around the whole ReWire thing. Like I remember playing around with Reason and FL Studio to try and do it but never got that far. On that note, good to hear Reason finally implementing the use of audio. Just having a read about their 'Rack Extensions'. Nice idea, but how many plugin developers out there are going to port their vst's over to the Reason format?

It looks complicated I guess but once you've ReWired one track the rest is pretty much copy/repeat, it was especially useful for capturing raw audio back when Reason couldn't do it it's self, you could work with audio as long as it was a .wav, which you needed to trigger every time you wanted to hear that piece of audio.. Painful. I think people liked to use Reason like a VST within their DAW too.

Yeah man Rack Extensions is a cool idea, but yeah either there's enough interest/money in developers making REs for Reason alone or it's just simple enough to adapt their current software to fit Reason. In which case I may start downloading some Skrillex Massive presets ;)

I use Reason 4. I tried 5 and liked the ability to create drums using kong. But, even though I like that they expanded the rex player into octorex, I wish they had kept the ability to use the regular rex player as well. So, I stuck with 4.

I like Live for remixing because it treats audio like clay. It's very good for remixes if you're using chunks of audio as opposed to cutting shit up in recycle. I also use it to fuck shit up, like sounds from plug'ins or created in Reason, which will end up back in Reason in a nn-xt, usually. I will use Reason re-wired thru Live from time to time, but not that often yet.

If Reason 6.5 can do what Live can do with audio, I'd probably use that more than anything. And shit, if I could use the plug'ins in Reason that I use in Live, then i wouldn't use Live for anything. BUT, only if they bring back the original Rex player like it is in Reason 4.

^^ i just use the new rex player like the old one - one sample in it.
but its much better than the old - has individual slice out puts - you can edit the slices etc

Mate like JimJimJimJimJimJim said you can use the OctoRex player EXACTLY the same as the original, it's just 8x better (no pun intended).

But seriously it is.

And the audio capability in Reason 6+ is awesome, I can't comment on it's functionality just yet though because I haven't used much audio in it just yet.

Sick, I do remember doing that a bit for the Olivia Broadfield (?) remix competition a year or so ago, was so easy to manipulate the audio, thanks for reminding me dude :cheerlead

all my tracks are made in reason...no rewiring .....just reason........i get them mastered proffessionally if i release them........its a good programe to learn the ropes on before moving on to other daws

Mate like JimJimJimJimJimJim said you can use the OctoRex player EXACTLY the same as the original

Actually, you CAN'T. Because you can't assign the preview button on the octorex, like you can with the old rex player, to a remote hardware trigger with buttons and shit. Unless, they fixed it in 6 and above. That feature is very important to me, and made me wonder how they could overlook it. So, I use 4.

If I had another good computer I would use 5 on that and then export whatever I needed, in order to use it in 4. But, until then.

never tried to assign preview (ive got 6.5) - i mean i dont know why i would want to preview something.
unless you were playing out live or something - i think there are other ways of triggering the samples without using preview.
i would have to look into it. you can assign keys to play loops i know that much - not heard of using the preivew m8 sorry

Actually, you CAN'T. Because you can't assign the preview button on the octorex, like you can with the old rex player, to a remote hardware trigger with buttons and shit. Unless, they fixed it in 6 and above. That feature is very important to me, and made me wonder how they could overlook it. So, I use 4.

Fair one dude! I must have over looked that feature myself :P in which case I apologise if I came across as an arse!

However, personally I wouldn't let the Rex player determine whether or not to have 6.5 though :oops_sign ;)

reason has been the most fun ive had with a "DAW" for a real long time. on the outside it looks fucking fisher price but damn theres a lot you can do inside! havnt had one problem with it so far and all i can say is its really expanded my musical knowledge just from playing around! the sequencer really is the only thing i dont really like about reason its all a bit long winded if you cant remember all the hotkeys!

i only use a few hotkeys.
ctrl + left click sets left marker alt + right click sets right marker
then ctrl plus q or w or e for select/ razor edit - or whatever order the little icons are in
simples

Back
Top Bottom