Reason users.

IV4

DnBF Sheriff
VIP Junglist
Hello
In an effort to help myself learn more and help other Reason users learn more about the software I am proposing the making of a tutorial. I keep asking other people make a tutorial. However, I never offer a tutorial myself.
The problem is I don't know where to start. So if anybody at all wants or cares to know how I made any sound or did any drum work on any of my songs I would be happy to tell you. I also hope you would be willing to do the same.

Hit me up.
http://soundcloud.com/iv4

Looking at your tunes theres some good stuff there.. I especially like the moombah tune 'henry vera mix'.. love the bass.

So some ideas for some tutorials, would be interesting for me personally to see you do a bass tutorial, the one in the track mentioned above was really tight, and in some other tracks you have this cool phasey kinda bass thing going on. I tend to struggle creating basslines so would be good to see how someone else does it in Reason.

Only other thing I could suggest is perhaps a tutorial on drum processing or layering beats.. I have a combinator patch i've set up which works well to split/combine everything but it can be a bit anti-workflow, if you know what I mean. Id like to see another perspective on that.

I know these ideas are a bit general but its nice to see someone intending to make the effort to help out others. Hopefully you can come up with something.

Got it. For now it will have to be text but when I get home from school and work today you will be able to make that bass.

Does any body know where I can get the soft ware that records what you do?

Open a combinator

Insert Mixer 6:2
(Every thing will be in thor until I say connect out)
Hold shift and bring a thor( do not connect the thor yet and initialize the patch)
Osc 1
Wavetable osc basic analog
kbd 123
oct 2
semi 0
tune +6
Position needs to be set at 48
Route the osc 1 into filter 1 only

osc 2
Wavetable osc Basic analog
kdb 127
oct 2
semi 0
tune -7
Position needs to be at 127
Route osc 2 to filter 1 only

osc 3
Analog set it to sine wave
kdb 127
oct 1
semi 0
tune 0
route osc 3 to filter two only

Filter one
State Varible Filter
Drive 64
Filter freq 2.09 khz
Rez 0
Click on the notch then shift the know all the way down towards lp

Lfo 1
key sync-on
tempo sync-on
rate 1/4
delay off
kdb off
Use sine wave

Lfo 2
Key sync on temo sync on
rate is 2/4
and it is set to sine wave
Filter 2
Low Pass ladder filter
Drive 75
Freq 39.4 hz
Rez 95
use 24 type II(Roman numeral for 2)
Make sure filter two is connected to the gain turn the amp all the way up

Turn the shaper on and use warp but turn the drive all the way down

The bottom of the thor should read like this

Source Amount Dest
Lfo 1 28 cv out1
Lfo 2 100 cv out2
Lfo 2 100 osc1pos
lfo 2 -100 osc2pos
(We are done with the thor and this is your original sound. Connecting Lfo 2 to the position knobs in the osc is what is going to give this bass is destictive sound.

Connect the thor to a MClass EQ
only turn on the low cut button(we do this because you dont want any noise below -30db)

Connect the MClass EQ to a Stero Imager
Turn the low band all the way down to mono and set the x-over freq to 100hz leave the high band alone

Connect the Stereo Imager to another Stero Imager and repeat the process

Connect the 2nd stero Imager to a scream 4
Initialize patch set to over drive
Damage 62
P1 1:71
P2 2:48
Low Cut
:41
Mid Cut 0
High Cut 0
master level 85
Do not turn on the body

Connect the Scream 4 to a Mclass eq
hit the low freq cut off(we will only use Pram ! and two in this eq)
Pram1 Pram2
Freq 304.2 hz 3.444 khz
Gain 9.4 db 1.7 db
Q 9:6 3.9

Connect the MClass EQ to a Chorus Flanger CF-101
Delay 26
Feedback 0
Rate 0
Mod Amount 0
Sync off
Press tab and connect the cv line delay filter to cv1 modulation output in thor

Connect the CF-101 to a Spider Merger and splitter
Connect the first line in the spider to a vocoder connect the 2nd line to the modulation
Now that you are connected to the vocoder turn the vocoder to bypass in the upper left hand corner and set the bands to 16. Make sure you leave it on vocoder and not equalizer.

Connect the vocoder to another vocoder
Switch the vocoder to eq and leave it on
Switch to four band and turn Band level 1 all the way up the rest of the bands keep the same
Attack 59
Decay 81
Shift -22
HF EMPH 24
Dry/Wet 0

Connect the Vocoder to an EFC-42(envelope control filter)
EFC-42
Freq 127
Rez 18
Env Amt 127
Vel 0
Mode lp12
Press tab and connect the freq cv to the cv2 modulation outout in thor. Turn the freq knob all the way up on the back of the EFC-42.
Connect the filter to a spider Audio merger and splitter
In the splitter connect the first line to the mixer. (At this point you should be able to hear your main sound) Connect the 2nd line to a CF-101(Chours Flanger) Lable the CF-101 (Highs)

CF-101 Chour flanger
Delay 101
Feedback39
Rate 16/4
Sync on
Mod Amount 127

Connect the CF-101 to a Stereo Imager
Stereo Imager
Lo Band Original
x-over 535hz
High Band turn it wide to 56
solo in high band

Connect the stereo Imager to a MClass Eq
MClass EQ
LOw Cut Lo Self Pram1 Pram2 High self
on

Frq 87.9hz 663.4hz 2.143khz 8.676khz
Gain -18.3db -18.3 8.0db 2.3db
Q .62(turn left) 18.0(Turn right) 5:1(Middle) :62(turn left)

Connect the MClass eq to an EFC-42(envelope controller)
EfC-42
Freq 80
Rez 20
EveAmt 32
Vel 0
Mode Band Pass BP 12
Now Press Shift and brind in an unconnected thor. Initialize the patch and set lfo two to waveform 3(A sawtooth) sync to tempo and key. Press tab and connect lfo 2 modulation out put to the EfC-42 Filter Freq Cv. The thor does nothing but lfo two filter controls the wobble on the EFC-42 filter.

Connect the EFC-42 to a spider merger and splitter
With the first channel route to the mixer and pan left
With the 2nd channel route to the mixer and pan right
And you are done

Playing with the lfo settings and the filter frequency knobs is how you get the bass to match your rythem.

Woah, big post! ill give this a look soon, thanks for putting it up. CamStudio is a good option for recording, I think its free.

Back
Top Bottom