reason users please help me!

modish

hi,
my question is - how to manage the bass sounds in reason. either its too loud or tiny bass u cant hear. i got the most problems managing drums and bass sounds. what is good to use for "mastering" bass sounds in reason4? i mean how to use the compressor or the maximizer? can i use this for managing the bass sounds? any other things i should know?

mate if ur looking for phat sub bass then use the subtractor and get a sine wave and a triangle wave and phase them a little, filter out the un needed noise, then wack an EQ on it and boost it around 200 htz (ish) its a basic sub bass then if you want it punchy reduce the attack on the amp envelope.

mate if ur looking for phat sub bass then use the subtractor and get a sine wave and a triangle wave and phase them a little, filter out the un needed noise, then wack an EQ on it and boost it around 200 htz (ish) its a basic sub bass then if you want it punchy reduce the attack on the amp envelope.

sorry if it's a basic question dusty, but can you recommend any VSTs i can use to get a similar effect using FL studio?

sorry if it's a basic question dusty, but can you recommend any VSTs i can use to get a similar effect using FL studio?

mate i dont use vsts, reason dont support them, but i am gonna get fl 8 soon so i can start audio recording and using vsts

boost a sub at 200Hz??? nah thats muddy territory

subs should peak around 60Hz

like wobalz said 3xOsc is a good synth for subs

use only osc 1 (turn the vol on the other two to zero) set it to sine or triangle wave and lower the root note a few octaves

boost a sub at 200Hz??? nah thats muddy territory

subs should peak around 60Hz

like wobalz said 3xOsc is a good synth for subs

use only osc 1 (turn the vol on the other two to zero) set it to sine or triangle wave and lower the root note a few octaves

depends on how much you boost it.

true, like said depends on how much you boot it.

I normally spit mine with the spider, have one for total sub control, and use one for the mids and tops and another for distortion

get a good amount of layers that way, nice thick sound.

Make sure when u use the splitter tho, go to that straight from the Malstrom / Subtracor / sampler whatever ur using so u get the clean sound from the beginning

Hey guys,
on a semi similar topic, iv heard that once you have your bass sound how you want it in maelstrom or wotever, that it is best to then play that sound through one of the samplers in reason, is that right?
Secondly, if it is, why? and how? do you do that
Cheers

Last edited:
ez mate, well depends on what kinda bass sound ur talkin about, normally if i make a sub bass i'll use a single sine wav in a malstrom (and compress / distort / filter to get more depth to the sound) and thats enough no real need to chuck it in a sampler.

but an example of where i WOULD use a sampler - make a reece type sound in a combinator (easy example 3 Malstroms all detuned sawtooth 16 waves all same patch all routed to a separate channel on the 14:2 mixer and all eq'd separately with the m-class - LOW 1st mid & hi cut, MID 2nd low and hi cut, HIGH 3rd low and mid cut = low / mid and hi layers for your sound) and each sound processed separately on the send effects with scream distortion (to taste on each), phase / chorus /flanger / reverb even unison play around on the mid and hi to ur taste. so basically if u got a textured mid bass that u want to modulate then once u made this sound in the combi then export like a 4 - 8 bar loop of it as a wav and then bounce it back (ie import back) into an NN-19 from here the advantage u have is u can automate the sound further on so many different levels - eg lfo filters always work a treat for creating those morphng sounds, u can't do that on the combi (or ur much more restricted as u only have 4 knobs on there so less flexibility)

anyways, hope my waffle made some sense, i've only recently been creating my own sounds from scratch used to rely heavily on samples in the past, if u need any clarification just ask hopefully i can explain better!

peace

oh one more thing soz - another example where u may want to use samplers is when layering and building ur sounds step by step - eg u start off with a sound u made using a few malstroms - u export an 8 bar loop of that (so just draw one key eg C note on each synth in the sequencer and drag that so its 8 bars long) and then import that wav into the NN-19, now u load up more malstrom . thors / subtractors etc and make more sounds playing over ur sample one the same note, again export the whole thing and import the new wav into the NN-19 - and so on and so forth until u've mad a really fat sound (its much easier than loading up like 20 synths - saves cpu space as u got it all in 1 sampler!), apologies if im not makin sense, not the best at explaining things! lol

not sure if u've seen the logistics tutorial but he explains this quite clearly using reason (he uses wav lab which is nice but not essential, u can still acheive similar results without it): http://www.digital-blonde.com/view_video...b059bfccbd02be6

Last edited:
oh one more thing soz - another example where u may want to use samplers is when layering and building ur sounds step by step - eg u start off with a sound u made using a few malstroms - u export an 8 bar loop of that (so just draw one key eg C note on each synth in the sequencer and drag that so its 8 bars long) and then import that wav into the NN-19, now u load up more malstrom . thors / subtractors etc and make more sounds playing over ur sample one the same note, again export the whole thing and import the new wav into the NN-19 - and so on and so forth until u've mad a really fat sound (its much easier than loading up like 20 synths - saves cpu space as u got it all in 1 sampler!), apologies if im not makin sense, not the best at explaining things! lol

not sure if u've seen the logistics tutorial but he explains this quite clearly using reason (he uses wav lab which is nice but not essential, u can still acheive similar results without it): http://www.digital-blonde.com/view_video...b059bfccbd02be6
mate whay dont you just layer the whole sound first in one go to save time doing one then bouncing it then another and bouncing it you could just open a new song page up and create a few samples in there then export when youre done layering. so much easier.

lol true its a lot faster but i get confused with too many synth screens on so sometimes i just keep it simple, albeit a bit looong :D

Back
Top Bottom