Reason tips and tricks

Nutek

movement junglist
VIP Junglist
theres a thread for fruity loops so i thought maybe one for reason? there doesnt seem to be much on here for reason, i'l make a contribution when i know enough about reason :lol:

how many layers of malstroms and that do you usually use for basses? and how to you variate the wobble timing? i can make a shabby wobble bass but it literally just wobbles, how do i create the whomp?
cheers :lol:

I have seldomly used reason. sometimes i use it for basslines and import to fruity. When you open up a bassline instrument so that you can adjust all of its parameters. Experiment with the CUT KNOBS and ADSR values. Right click on the knobs and you can create automation clips that run alongside your notation. Use these clips to create dips and peaks in you basslines. Right click the LFO settings and make an automation clip for that. Then you can vary the level of LFO when, and where you want it. When you play it back you can see the knobs turning automatically.
This can also be done to duck out the bassline when a kick sounds, a simple form of side-chaining.
I am still learning about this so hope i got it right in my explaination........in other words......just ask Vickvega.:rowley:

hahaha reason is cool!

fruity loop sounds like a something a kid would buy in sweetshop.

no disrespect but sorry FL its just too fruity for me all that fruit sugar messin my teeth up... im to poor too go to the denist!

heres a tip! - combinators are cool building blocks and guess what u can save presets. WOW!

lots of online vid tutorials avaliable why crawl when you can run ? just an opinion spent about 2 years wid reason learned more in a week watchin a tutorial. same with cubase as well.

Theres plenty of tuts, however hardly any are really focused on drum and bass, i want to find out how people actually build their tracks up and stuff like that, get a better insight on the production of d&b.

hi,
@toxy - could u please describe it a bit more accurate how to work with the combinators? Iam interrested in mixing and creating nu pad sounds if its possible using the combinator.

hi,
@toxy - could u please describe it a bit more accurate how to work with the combinators? Iam interrested in mixing and creating nu pad sounds if its possible using the combinator.

yeah of coarse. Combinators are cool for creating pads because you can group instruments and fxs together under one roof.

This means that instead of having tons of sequence tracks for all the instruments with there individual automation lanes ect. you have 1 track which represents the group, the combinator which you can play as single instrument makes things more easier to manage.

But the coolest thing about combinators are that you can assign rotary knobs and buttons to affect varous parameters of the instruments inside the combinator.for example you can make a different syths or a pads that can transform and you can save them as presets for use with other projects.

You can program the span of the rotary knobs and you can even use LFOs or several LFOs to control the rotary knobs. man if your good with photo shop you can even design the skins for your combinator so it even looks super cool aswell, haha but doesnt improve the sound quality just its visual quality ...

I dont know which version of reason u use but ver 4 is by far worth having. because there alot of new changes that make editing easier. Plus theres a good collection of combinator patches in the sound bank refill, so start by looking at them.

if you still need help pm me. bigupz hope this helps :))))

Last edited:
for all the fruity loop people in here hope you know im only joking. FL is a super cool i just think the name is well hmm you know.

Id use cubase but my pc laptop would die of sudden death and so would my wallet and unfortunately ive only got oranges not apples...

whats wid all these references to fruit ??? its a consperacy!!!!

Last edited:
Personally i use reason for its instruments and export them to fruity for the track layout. Why not make use of the strengths on other daws?

Back
Top Bottom