Reason: Live vs. Resampling...?

Jolly Jumpa

Dj Synergex
Now I don't know if I'll explain this as well as I want to, but if you knwo what I'm tlaking about and can explain it better, please do!

Okay so I'm considering whether or not playing the instruments live (eq's, compressors, maximizers/limiters and effects devices included) or whether I should resample what I have as a one note (or drum beat) then sample it into NNXT and use that already sculpted sound as my live sound (for performance issues).

For example, a beat I'm working on has a lot of devices to form it, but it takes up a lot of my CPU power so listening to it is a trial and error process (because I can't even play it while muting the other instruments without it saying my computer is too slow). I tried removing the your computer is too slow message to listen to all the devices but it consumed so much of the CPU I couldn't stop it at all.

I know, and it's somewhat inevitable, I need a new computer but I figured that why not see if this is a good idea to help drain the power usage so I can get a better sound.

I've heard mastering is done like this, and takes a long time, but I'll be working on either a lengthened wav file that constitutes as the actual music or a single note to define the sound (but without the modulation of the synth.

If anyone has anything, that'd be awesome!!
Thanks,
Steve.

check that you are running the latest update to the version you are running
(assuming you are running a legit copy) and check your sample rate buffer,
but it sounds like you need a new machine.

Last edited:
Yep, or start bouncing things out to audio mate to save you some CPU.
I'm not doing anything else. i just start a new project to work on my basses, or else I'm gonna get problems with my CPU.
So I just load up the drum part of the tune I'm working on and make the bass in a separate project and bounce it out so I can load it up in the tunes project file.

Well I got a AMD Duel Core 5400, 2.6Ghz processor, so it's decent, but I don't suppose there would be any connection to the sound card, yeah?

Well I got a AMD Duel Core 5400, 2.6Ghz processor, so it's decent, but I don't suppose there would be any connection to the sound card, yeah?

Depends on what soundcard your working with. I've got an E-MU 1616 PCi, so got my external interface to connect stuff to my soundcard.

Yeah man,
Dont extract the whole thing as a .wav
Just bounce out parts that are layered
Such as your kicks, snares etc
You save a part of your cpu but still keep that 'real' sound your after ;)

you shouldn't really need to though huh?

gonna loose all your adjustable parameters.

i know your not going to need to adjust EQ/mastering on a live set, but i for one would want all my synths to be twistable.

?

computer really shouldn't be lagging like that.

you dont really need to manipulate the drums and FX once you build them according to the track. shouldnt be any problem with bouncing out. and at some point you wont need to twist your synths anymore ..

.. so yeah, its dependant on the workflow, but in the end your music comes out as an mp3 anyways, so why not make single parts of it into a .wav beforehand?!

edit: and you could always go back, twist whatever parameter you want and export again ..

@ groelle

ahhh, i thought Jolly was talking about performing live (hence my misled importance on maintaining adjustable parameters)

oh yeah, bounce it down.

Jolly's computer really shouldn't be struggling though - there is definitely a performance issue.

Hey thanks guys, preciate the support, and I agree it shouldn't be lagging, but maybe it is the sound card - realtek HD, I mean that's all I got.
Honestly I don't know why it has so much lagging, but one thought would be because of how much compressing and eqing I am doing on one synth/break.
We'll see how it works out once I send a file to Propellarhead and see if they get a lag as well.

No no, sound blasters and all those things are meant for consumer-grade stuff. You need something that is aimed for making music on the computer, and they're called 'audio interfaces'. Check out DV247 or Thomann if you're european, or just go to your nearest musicians shop. You can pick a decent one up for under 100 money. They connect via USB usually and they help greatly with the buffer underruns.

Back
Top Bottom