Reason help.. i guess Pretty Newb questions..

dy5c0

elit3.com
Ok so i just got reason and im an avid drum and bass connoisseur and so im really wanting and starting to learn how to semi produce the music..
im so in love with the music.. i figured what a great way to express my love for something.. than to create it.. or at least try...

anyhow, I got Reason 3.0, the only thing im lacking is the manual.. and unfortunatly for me, most of the people i know dont know what Reason is.. more or less how to operate it.
so ive got most of the semi basic concepts down.. just from messing with it.. and ive got a lot of the other things down.. like each of the particular components etc..
now ive got the loop i like.. and my bass line and snare line etc.. but.. and ive got a good sampler.. that i use in conjunction.. and ive got some good samples.. but im so confused on how to record each individual component to the main track.. like i click record.. and it doesnt record.. i mute certain things and try different variations.. to record it.. and i get nothing...

this is in arranged mode not edit mode.. not sure if i understand the total difference.. besides being able to edit each note and other things..
but i just want to get say.. my dr rex to track on the timeline. or perhaps just my redrum to track on there.. that way i can start editing when things come in.. and so fourth.. when things drop..
Now when i hit the to track on the dr:Rex it tracks everything and every component i have.. wether or not its muted etc.. its very odd..

anyways i guess my main question here is.. how do i get each component to record for a set amount of time onto my timeline..
sorry for the newb questions but i guess we all gotta start somewhere.. any help would be greatly appreciated..

ok so lets take all the other components aside..
just redrum.. cause i have most of my stuff comprised on redrum atm.. so how do i just record REDRUM onto the timeline..
i just wanna start editing when certain sounds and beats come into play.. and im really at a stagnant point

You have to "paint" into the sequencer line. Its at the bottom, looks like an empty table with the names of the instruments to the left. You have the start and end slider. Move them apart. In Rex right click copy to track and the fragment will appear there.

"Record" is used if you have a controller connected. The record writes what you play into the sequencer. Its not something you'll use.

Personally I find the composing element of Reason incredibly frustrating.

Try Fruity Loops or Acid Pro for now. Lot easier to handle.

you need to program the pattern tracks (A1, A2, A3 etc) on redrum, and then use the pattern sequencer at the bottom in the sequencer section (the yellow tabs) to trigger the patterns when you want. as i said, very hard to explain, but in all honesty once you get the hang of it its pretty straightforward.

the bonus with reason is that its easy to sequence any parameter on any instrument or effect. download a sequencer tutorial for it, study it, and all will be revealed.

just copy across to the trk, quite easy (on the rex click the too trk button, for anything else like re-druma nd matrix, righht click, copy to trk

the record function is mostly for recording auotmation in real time and not drawing it in yourself

it took me 6 months to get the basics of reasona nd i've been using it for about 18 months i think

take it step by step and learn th simple things first

also there is a built in help manual in reason, use it as it's very helpful, i still use it

reason is far more complex than people give it credit, so be patient

Yes, very true dj revere. Just select either the Dr.Rex or Redrum module, then select your track in the squencer, right-click with your mouse and select "Copy Pattern to track" This will paste the notes of your pattern into any selected track in your sequencer. About the recording problem, you have to select your track in the sequencer, and make sure to click on the red circle icon right next to the track your trying to record. This triggers record mode to that track. The midikeyboard icon right next to the circle is the live midi keyboard mode, if you have a keyboard, this triggers your keyboard to play that selected track. I myself spent months learning the basics of reason. A really good resource for reason formatted dnb beats/loops/instruments/shit = http://www.reasonstation.net this site is reason heaven :typing: There is actually some video tutorials on propellers site here. http://www.propellerheads.se/news/articles/index.cfm?fuseaction=video
I recommand reading the manual for the real specific stuff. Once you start working more in the sequencer edit mode, you'll find yourself using the pen tool to make custom automations, pitch/mod wheel transitions, etc. Hope this helps!

Back
Top Bottom