Reason (Ghost side chain)

IV4

DnBF Sheriff
VIP Junglist
Question
Is it possible in Reason to have your side chain duck and rise without using a bass drum, snare, sample, or any other noise?

I don't think that would be possible in any DAW, as it goes against the general idea of sidechaining to begin with. Sidechaining uses a designated sound to, with the help of compresser settings, determine how much it will duck the target. Seems kind of redundant to me, perhaps you should try an LFO instead?

EDIT: An Up-Ramp/Saw LFO assigned to the Volume would give you some control over your duck & rise, without using any other sound. However, it's application is limited to whatever rate/sync rate your LFO is capable of, so it's not a very trustworthy technique if you want it do following along with some crazy ass rhythm unless you can get clever with multiple settings or automations. Probably best for straight forward stuff.

Last edited:
i dont see why you cant have some noise going in the side chain that isnt heard on the mixer.
eg have a drum playing on the sequencer and route its sound into the side chain.
then you wouldnt hear that drum but it would be causing the compressor to rise/fall etc
is that what u mean?

i dont see why you cant have some noise going in the side chain that isnt heard on the mixer.
eg have a drum playing on the sequencer and route its sound into the side chain.
then you wouldnt hear that drum but it would be causing the compressor to rise/fall etc
is that what u mean?

I think this would work for what you want, though you haven't said what you application of the technique would be...

Kind of like a Trance/Progressive House/Deadmau5-style sidechaining, where the sound keeps pumping even though there isn't any drums audible in the mix.

Yes you can. Set up the sidechain as normal but don't wire the ReDrum to a mixer channel.

Create a ReDrum while holding Shift so that it doesn't auto route the cabling, open your kick sample in channel 1 of the ReDrum, connect channel 1 of the ReDrum to a Spider Audio Splitter. Now you can route your ghost kick to any sound you want to sidechain by connecting it to the Sidechain input of the MClass Compressor that is routed to your sound that you want to sidechain. Threshold down to minimum and ratio to maximum and listen to it pump without the kick playing in the mix.

Thank you, so much.

---------- Post added at 12:51 ---------- Previous post was at 12:39 ----------

I am not sure what I will do with this effect yet. I am very much a trial and error person. However, I have noticed that the side chain, makes a clear, crisp swoop that I have not been able to replicate using just LFO'S and frequency filter. I hope I will be able to make artificial LFO rhythm that also controls the reverb.

Back
Top Bottom