reason + fl?

jimjimjim

oldskool
VIP Junglist
Hi,
been using reason for a while but struggling to get my sounds right.
i think i need to "see" more of the sounds in a graphical way. reason doesnt have an analyser built in.

what i want to be able to do is shape my sounds (drum hits etc) using graphical analyser (so i can see if my kick has a tail for example).

I can see Fl Studio is only £79 - can i do that in there and can i link it into reason?

i like the workflow of reason and dont want to change that - i just want to be able to see the wave forms easily.

I have tried external sound analysers (free ones) - they are good for reference but cant actually change anything.

Would appreciate your thought and opinions on this
cheers
Jim

fruity loops is fully rewire-able so it should be good? ive used cubase so far but it should be ok. other than that id recommend using cool edit or soundforge along with whatever daw youre using. half of our tunes are made in cooledit. or audition as its called these days.

I have tried external sound analysers (free ones) - they are good for reference but cant actually change anything.

Isn't that just what a spectrum analyzer does, giving you a diagram of how your frequencies are filled.
I never had an analyzer which could change stuff.

yeah - but i can see on videos people using other software - they can see the bass drum wave form and how its shaped - and change it on the fly.
I thought you could do that in FL - but i dont know as i havent seen it.
Can you do that in FL - play a sound - check out the waveform? edit the waveform?
In reason i would have to just listen to the sound - EQ it and hope.
If you see what i mean...?

you can do that in fls edison sampler and of course in the native sampler too, it has a section called the... hieritage effects or wossname i dont remember. but they are quite crude compared to ADSR envelopes and vst effects. id get cool edit for those purposes. besides i cant imagine the reason sampler being unable to do this?

you cant see any waveforms in reason - its midi only.
you can edit the samples start and stop time and all the adsr etc but you dont have any way of actually looking at the waveform.
which is now pissing me off...
Especially as i watch interviews and videos of people just bringing up thier snare waveform and playing around with it - looks cool.
i think it would help me get a better understanding of how all the sounds fit together and stop muddyness.
cheers

yeah ive got audacity - but i have to bounce each track or sample to wav - import into audacity -fiddle with it - save - import into reason.
then go through that every time - it just hampers my workflow and i'm not having any fun doing it - more of a chore :(
So i was hoping there was something i could plug into reason that i can edit the waveforms as i go... if u see what i mean?
maybe there isnt anything and i just need to take the time and import into audacity - i dont know

Reason is crap for mixing down.Everyone rewires it as there's no spectrum annalyzer and the proccessing doesn't compare to say,the sonnox oxford plugins.....

I've been using Reason rewired to FL. It's working well, you can link every rack in reason into a separate channel in FL. You can even use FL's piano roll to sequence Reason stuff. You can actually do everything with Reason. Including automation, effect, rendering in FL and so on.

Hi,
been using reason for a while but struggling to get my sounds right.
i think i need to "see" more of the sounds in a graphical way. reason doesnt have an analyser built in.

Funny, i actually came on here today hoping i could answer this question. i think i must have opened up the third eye inside the ride with my afternoon high grade intake.

you can run an EQ analyser in Reason which really helps that you can see the output, it's not a spectrum analyser, but it may help you.

I use Reason 3 (never liked 4 although i miss out on Thor), i'm sure the same principles apply if you have 4 or 5.

use the Spider audio merger and splitter to split your final output from your mixer/mastering suite combo and re-route it into the midi in device that is always at the top of the rack.

now create a BV512 vocoder holding down 'Shift' so it doesn't auto-route it.

then take the second split signal from your Spider and connect it into the modulator input.
Change the 'band' on the vocoder to FFT 512.

hit play and you will see that you now have a visual equaliser.

adjust the hold and decay of the vocoder to suit.

as the vocoder only take one channel input you are only seeing the left (or right) channel on the EQ, so for stereo, connect another vocoder with the other channel you have split. then you have a left and right.

i hope this helps.

DM.

---------- Post added at 17:39 ---------- Previous post was at 17:03 ----------

yeah everything but write good music that get signed to hospital records. so its not so good is it.

LOL. So many top producers use reason - i can hear it in the pattern syncopation instantly.

Last edited:
cheers dude. i have seen that trick with the vocoder - thanks man.
i have already made myself a kind of graphic eq in reason.
using loads of stereo imagers - you can get all different bands of freqencies in a mixer. each stereo imager only looks at a small band of frequencies.
its quite good but you cant see the wave still.
i can send you that combinator if you like.

Yes there is no reason love here :(

Oh and i think i have bought the wrong FL - every time i try and do anything interesting it tells me i should have bought the producer edition.
sucks to be me.

Back
Top Bottom