reason 3

Sammy Dexcell

Stop editing my profile Smarty!
VIP Junglist
ok so ive been using reason now for about a year an a half and ive just been pressing buttons and second guessing my way to a tune playing with melodies and just goin with it, so i have a few songs that are just ideas and one of them i worked on a bit more than the others and it sounds like it has the potential be something good accept....i cant get it sounding like its a. dropped and b. gettin it to sound like a well produced track i.e compression and e'qing has any1 got some advice for me? any help would be much appreciated and i will post the tune when its done for now i dont even think it has a good enough b line, and the drums are pretty weak. safe

There's no exact answer to that imo. You'll just have to practise and find information to some specific poroblem you have.
When I experimented with reason, I found it very inspirating and fast on doing scetchs, but for me it was really hard to make tunes sound good (I'm not saying they sound good atm.) since there's no vst support and you can't use stuff like spectrum analyzers if you use Reason only. I think reason is tha ultimate tool for creating some serious effects and sounds since you can wire the pieces almost anyway you like.
As for the drums and b-line, try layer 'em good and for the bass; for example try making a combinator patch where one synth is for the sub and other for middle/tremble and put some effects on them differently. And maybe melt them together with a compressor or something. Just experiment :).
I hope you can read that shitty english, I'm on a beer line right now.

Last edited:
never been a reason fan...
but that said you can get great results from the program...
evol intent for example produce in reason...
(mixdown in logic though)
generally i find the best results are achieved in reason
using the samplers... which are quite good
even if you make a sound in the subtractor... or maelstrom bounce the sound down and import it into the
sampler...
compression will def help to fatten up the bassline...
try doing thing like HP the bass sounds in the intro
will def place more emphasis on the drop..
or maybe removing a few layers from your drums...

as for part b...
might need some more info to try help..
what do you feel i laking your sound...?
(what are the differences you can pick out
between yourt track and a dnb track you love)
what sound are you trying to achieve...?
(name some artists)

About bouncing... Could you explain to me why you should bounce? Honestly I don't know why. Can you tell me what are the benefits when bouncing?
Beer line still going oooon.... !!1 B-line=Beer line=Bass line=B-line... Wonderful thoughts... :lol: :EE But seriously what's the bouncing thing?
(I don't mean to be rude, that might sound like that thou)
Malstrom rules! Never seen a synth that good and easy to use. I should buy the Reason, really. Oh.. and Pringles are yammy

Last edited:
honestly i hate the malestrom synth...
friend of mine make some nice bass by
layering up like 7 very similar modulating subtractor patches.... but i really dont like maelstrom...
nothing beats NI synths....
you want to resample so you can edit the sound
over and over and over and over again
with wasting processing power
it also allows you to layer sounds with ease makes modulation easier... editing envelopes easier...
just gives you so many more options..

use your sampler it is your best friend

safe sounds complicated, i think im gona have to post up the tune and let u guys in on some madness, then you can tell whats wrong with it and give some tips. im at work now till late so check 2moz and it should be up on this thread. thanx for the help guys its really frustrating trying everything u can think of and it still not working, ive been using reason and every1 keeps telling me to use fruity loops or cubase i wouldnt mind but it means learning a whole different program! which im up for but.....its long....

errr here it is soz for the delay werent sure weather or not to post the full thing, ignore the dj slick bits there not meant to be in there obviously everything else is i cut it up to show 2 other drops i had for the tune, but once its dropped its pretty much the same thing for a few bars.

p.s artist i like in no particular order, sub focus, pendulum, g dub, clipz, moving fusion, ed rush n optical, fresh (sometimes) , logistics, chase n status, i cant really think but the list goes on anything from liquid to jump up to techy shit i like it all pretty much im well varied!

this tune on the other hand im trying to make it drop like true romance, one drop, then a sub drop if u get me but i just cant do it?

Last edited:
I'm gonna listen that in a second, don't take my advices too seriously, I'm a pretty new in this kind of producing myself (just tried that thing what sook said up there and found it really usefull :P, I got my producing habbits from trance producing a few years ago...), damn sampler is nice tool :mr_cool: + I'm gonna get my last beer --->... downloading...
...Add some depht to that chord sound, sounds a bit dry, drums could be fatter and brighter imo. Add some effects to about everything but drums, but with care... And that insane bleeping blopping sound, it could sound good if it was just a bit... less insane?...

Oh, and those dry handclaps... :mr_cool: do something to them. And bass? Where is it? If you tried to do it with some weird waveforms you found from the synths library, forget it as for now. Just use the basic shite like saw square sine, etc.. in case you were using synths? You might want to use sine for the low end depending on the mood, and some other waveform for middle/high of the bass... My fauvorite couple of years ago was to put two 16*saws to maelstrom and tweak a little that motion knob, just add sub and wicked filter and you've got pretty nasty sound to start from.
Hmm... Try layering the drums, don't use preset drumkits, they're lame, NN-XT is pretty nice sampler imo, doing your own drumkit might take some time bt it's worth it.

Well... Sook can tell you how to fix these things :) I'm too lazy to even try, but I can try to give some advice if that Sook tech guru ain't answering you too soon.

Sorry if this sounded too negative, it's just the way tend to comment songs :love: I bet you're doing better than me when I had as much experience as you have now. Nites.

Sook... about that bouncing to sampler thing... Do you mean like bouncing for example bouncing a 2 bar bass line or like just the sound (C1 C2 C3 etc.). Is it even possible to make for example those dick rising legato glide reeces with sampler? :nadia:

see everything u said is exactly wat i felt was wrong with the tune its just theres no one over my shoulder sayin yea press that and then that, etc i really wanna get it done but i just dont know how? its frustrating as fuck! im learning everyday man and i will eventually get it i just need some tips and tricks. sook were are ya!? lol safe guys for the feedback much appreciated :gpeace:

Sook... about that bouncing to sampler thing... Do you mean like bouncing for example bouncing a 2 bar bass line or like just the sound (C1 C2 C3 etc.)

do one then the other..
i make a make bass sounds in absynth
(such a powerful tool)..
then important the notes into kontakt
write a bassline export the bassline
resample.... edit again...

i've been told re-samplin is the way forward

write your bass note/line with effects and then bounce part of it out as your loop then import into something like soundforge and fuck it up even more then re-import and fuck it up more/re-sample, re-modulate, re-eq etc erc

i like to throw my sub bass on each kick... and i dont use loops in samplers i find that redrum and copying the patterns to track saves time... and aggrovation... key is... u gotta have good samples... dont distort your drums it sounds like crap... my opinion anyways.... i would check out ur tune but i dont have a subscription to this megaload or whatever ...but i always throw my sub bass to each kick drum ...and for even more variety u could throw a second drumkit and layer... but then u can copy the kick from that layer and make a new bass in which to paste the hits in... after than u just move the notes around and find a good harmony with the pads...all in the ears is wat i say... i dont waste time on nitpicking eq either... if u cant level it out without eq...then u using the wrong sounds...good samples are everything...but hey watever works for you ...everyone always told me when i was full of unanswered questions to just find ur own groove and stick with it if u get good results...and main thing is..no matter how far u got to go to achieve that "professional" sound, just make sure u learn something new on each track u do whether u finish it or not... im still workin on doin that myself...lol all i can offer right now tho....good luck and keep ya heart into it...

emission

Back
Top Bottom