reaper

rysk

Part-time waster
VIP Junglist
So i've been working solely in FL 10, but i noticed after adding like 10 mixer tracks with various VST's and effects, my PC starts to shit itself.

I looked into less CPU intensive DAW's and Reaper seems to be the general consensus.

Anyone have experience with this? Could you reccomend it to someone with minimal production knowledge?

My pc is dire and I have to bounce stuff to audio to keep working on it!

that's what i was thinking of doing, get a few basic layers sounding as tight as i can, render to wav, get some more layers sounding as tight as possible, repeat.

I use studio one (which is amazing) and one great feature is when you render to audio, you can also reverse the process, it stores the settings of whatever effects are on the track and reloads them back on with all the correct settings. It's great if you want to tweak stuff and then render back to audio.

Reapers OK. i experimented with making tunes in it for quite a while ages ago, don't buy it, just download the demo because it never expires. audio quality when time-stretching is good, but i found inputting MIDI to be a bit slow and cumbersome sometimes. my workflow in it was fast though...

Reaper is a very good DAW especially if you have good third party plug ins, but it will still make your computer shit itself if you have a few tracks with heaps of plug ins and what not . Like dirty breaks said download and try it because it wont cost ya.

If you want a DAW thats good on CPU then i would say Reason is the best

Reaper is cool, but I mainly just use it to record my mixes. I use Studio One exclusively. Coming from FL Studio I can say the learning curve is not as steep as it initially appears.

Sent from my LG-P930 using Tapatalk 2

reaper is fantastic for ultitrack recording, and editing audio tracks. Its support for midi is ok, but not it's strongest point. But for working with audio tracks its superb.

And I must disagree with the idiot saying "dont buy it cos the demo doesnt expire". Reaper is a VERY reasonably priced piece of software, from some down to earth small company developers who are out to do the right thing. They dont believe in bothering their customers with anti-piracy measures like dongles and annoying authentications or crippled demos. I really agree with all that, and think they deserve to get paid for their work. Obviously other people dont agree, but unfortunately the world is full of selfish pricks and we can't do anything about that. Except avoid becoming one, perhaps.

And I must disagree with the idiot saying "dont buy it cos the demo doesnt expire". Reaper is a VERY reasonably priced piece of software, from some down to earth small company developers who are out to do the right thing. They dont believe in bothering their customers with anti-piracy measures like dongles and annoying authentications or crippled demos. I really agree with all that, and think they deserve to get paid for their work. Obviously other people dont agree, but unfortunately the world is full of selfish pricks and we can't do anything about that. Except avoid becoming one, perhaps.

Agreed!

Reaper is also extremely customizable, a feature I've hardly scratched. You can pretty easily re-skin the layout to look like other DAWs (or whatever works for you) and create shortcuts to do common workflow actions.

And I must disagree with the idiot saying "dont buy it cos the demo doesnt expire".

shut up. if he buys it or not is his choice, but he shouldn't buy it straight away, i only said that because:

1.) he's poorer than africa

2.)so that he doesn't buy it and then finds out that it doesn't suit his needs/workflow

Studio One doesn't require too many clicks to do stuff. It generally stays out of your way LOL.

Reaper is cool, but I mainly just use it to record my mixes. I use Studio One exclusively. Coming from FL Studio I can say the learning curve is not as steep as it initially appears.

As an fl studio user looking into other DAWs I'd be interested in hearing the features you prefer in studio one. I'm mainly looking for a DAW that allows me to get my ideas down as easily as possible, is S1 better in this regard? I'm not so bothered about its superior mastering/publishing features etc.

I think it's slightly better in that regard. FL was great for bangin out patterns really quick. S1 shines there too. But S1 blows FL away in 2 categories that I feel are crucial for DNB production. It is so easy to bounce midi to audio. No re-recording your songs and worrying if the effects are recorded in the audio etc. The second is automation clips. FL is painfully weak in automation clips. S1 works just as good as any standard DAW.

The bonus... In FL I needed to bounce things down to audio for CPU control. I use more plugins in S1 and have not once had a "need" for this.

also looking into cubase now aswell, as a mate whos been producing for years said he wants to collaborate, and he uses it so it will make working with him a little easier, but i don't know how this will work out on my system.

also looking into cubase now aswell, as a mate whos been producing for years said he wants to collaborate, and he uses it so it will make working with him a little easier, but i don't know how this will work out on my system.

for collaborating it's worth checking out ohm studio

http://www.ohmstudio.com/

you can collaborate with people in realtime over teh internets, so you can stay at your battlestation in your wank dungeon whilst your mate is in his studio, it's in beta testing now so get pon the D/L, i tried it on release day but the servers were shit with all the traffic, they should be sorted now though :2thumbs:

for collaborating it's worth checking out ohm studio

http://www.ohmstudio.com/

you can collaborate with people in realtime over teh internets, so you can stay at your battlestation in your wank dungeon whilst your mate is in his studio, it's in beta testing now so get pon the D/L, i tried it on release day but the servers were shit with all the traffic, they should be sorted now though :2thumbs:

i think the intention is to do it at his as he's got a proper studio set-up, as well as various instruments and recording equipment. But i could still do with learning my way round cubase as when i was round there on friday, i was just set there watching him wizz away...though i did get to hold the mic while he made some percussion sounds on the bottom of a coffee tin.

As an fl studio user looking into other DAWs I'd be interested in hearing the features you prefer in studio one. I'm mainly looking for a DAW that allows me to get my ideas down as easily as possible, is S1 better in this regard? I'm not so bothered about its superior mastering/publishing features etc.

There are so many good features it would be better you looking at the videos on their website. If you want to put together ideas quickly and easily then s1 is definitely a good choice.

cant say enouhg good things about studio one, one serious feature which is lacking though imo is you can't pitch bend audio samples.... quite annoying!"

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom