Reaper rewired into Reason, anybody else use this?

mat42291

SuperNoob
So I was just wondering if anyone else has Reason rewired into Reaper. When I first started out doing this it seemed awesome, but then I started noticing little things that just screwed with my workflow a bit. Let's say I have drum samples loaded up in NN-XT and want to eq one of my samples, I have to disconnect it from reasons main interface, run it through an eq, and then run it back to that interface port. Reason just doesn't integrate as nicely as I would want into Reaper.

So I was wondering what others did if they use both Reason and Reaper. I was thinking that maybe I could still use rewire, but do all the EQing using Reaper's vst support instead of Reason's. Or maybe just make everything in Reason and export it out into Reaper for mixing. Although I do really like Reaper's sequencer, Reason just never had a good sequencer, for me at least.

Yea i used this for a month or so when i was making the transition from reason to reaper then once i got a few plug ins for reaper i found no need for reason.

Do yo put your reason plugs ins in a combinator ? thats what i remember doing and i never had to worry about disconnecting anything everytime i added a plug because the combinator's output is always connected to the main interface once you set it up.

Yea i used this for a month or so when i was making the transition from reason to reaper then once i got a few plug ins for reaper i found no need for reason.

Do yo put your reason plugs ins in a combinator ? thats what i remember doing and i never had to worry about disconnecting anything everytime i added a plug because the combinator's output is always connected to the main interface once you set it up.

Yeah I use combinators for everything except my drums. I like to have those routed out separately so I can mix them individually in Reaper. I could use a combinator for drums, but then I'd only have one channel in reaper.

Honestly I've been thinking about switching just to Reaper. My workflow isn't the best right now and I think it's causing me more frustration than it's worth. What I really like about Reason though is the combinators and the ability to layer up and get really fat sounds, without it being too heavy on system resources. If I could find a vst plugin that lets me layer like that I'd switch in a heartbeat.

Just curious, what are you using now? I looked at Massive for a while and was pretty impressed with the amount of options it had on it compared to Thor. The only problem is I've heard that Massive is pretty heavy on system resources. I could probably use an upgrade on my computer though. I'm running an IBM thinkpad T43 with 1.5 gb of ram and a 1.6GHz processor, things a fucking dinosaur. That's probably my only reason for not switching to just Reaper right now haha.

Yeah I use combinators for everything except my drums. I like to have those routed out separately so I can mix them individually in Reaper. I could use a combinator for drums, but then I'd only have one channel in reaper.

Honestly I've been thinking about switching just to Reaper. My workflow isn't the best right now and I think it's causing me more frustration than it's worth. What I really like about Reason though is the combinators and the ability to layer up and get really fat sounds, without it being too heavy on system resources. If I could find a vst plugin that lets me layer like that I'd switch in a heartbeat.

Just curious, what are you using now? I looked at Massive for a while and was pretty impressed with the amount of options it had on it compared to Thor. The only problem is I've heard that Massive is pretty heavy on system resources. I could probably use an upgrade on my computer though. I'm running an IBM thinkpad T43 with 1.5 gb of ram and a 1.6GHz processor, things a fucking dinosaur. That's probably my only reason for not switching to just Reaper right now haha.

Oh yeah i remember that being the annoying apart of the rewire! i used to just have an instance of redrum in a combinator and do all my individual processing in Reason then on the 1 channel in Reaper i would use it as the drum buss master and add vintage warmer or izotope alloy to get it sounding fatter. Bit of chore but you could have one combinator per drum sample?

Yea i know what you mean, i love Reason but i felt my workflow was becoming limited and what not. When i made the switch to Reaper completely, it took me a good month and abit to get a proper workflow back though

I just use Reaper but For a synth? yea i use Massive most of the time and Albino or Reaktor. They are very good synths but the distortion and filter plug ins you can get are endless such as camel phat, guitar rig , fab filter bundle and the Wow filter, just to name a few. Its the variety you can have that made me end up ditching Reason. Massive is pretty heavy on the CPU especially when you are using a heap of other plugs aswell, i would say your computer wont be able to cope with to many channels in reaper unless you exported certain channels using heavy plugs and re imported them as an audio file. When i was makin the transition i was using a Macbook Air 1.6Ghz and 2gb ram that thing would have probably 10-15 channels then it would crap out on me, and thats when i started doing everything in audio haha. luckily it was a work computer and i've since upgraded

Thanks man. I'm definitely going to transition to Reaper now. Rewire is just no good for me, even with a template loaded. When I sit down to make music I just want to be focused on simplicity and getting those sounds out as easily as possible. Right now I sit down at my laptop and I'm just irritated haha.

My only situation now is getting some new synths. I was looking at Rob Papen's Blue and I really liked the sound, but the price is way too steep. A lot of the expensive synths look amazing, but I just can't afford those right now. I might stick to cheaper or free vsts for now.

Just found a website that looks like it has some promising free vsts. http://www.amvst.com/

Don't know if anyones heard of it, but I have to say the GUI looks very nice.

Last edited:
Ok so my initial reaction with Reaper was confusion because I'm so used to layering synths and I couldn't find a way to save them all together. The best thing about Reason was it's combinators, so when I found something out in Reaper I was pretty excited. Anyway I'd thought I'd post this in case anyone else uses Reaper and wants to take advantage of it.

So basically all I did was create a new folder, open up 2 or 3 synths under that folder and make up some sounds that I wanted to layer. Then right click the folder and save tracks as template. It's awesome because it saves all the tweaking you made to the synths under the folder even if you didn't save it as a preset. Just make sure you name the template otherwise it will get confusing, maybe even make folders for pads, basses, leads, etc.

Sorry for the double post, but I just have to say Reaper's folder system is kickass. This is a great DAW.

Thanks man. I'm definitely going to transition to Reaper now. Rewire is just no good for me, even with a template loaded. When I sit down to make music I just want to be focused on simplicity and getting those sounds out as easily as possible. Right now I sit down at my laptop and I'm just irritated haha.

My only situation now is getting some new synths. I was looking at Rob Papen's Blue and I really liked the sound, but the price is way too steep. A lot of the expensive synths look amazing, but I just can't afford those right now. I might stick to cheaper or free vsts for now.

Just found a website that looks like it has some promising free vsts. http://www.amvst.com/

Don't know if anyones heard of it, but I have to say the GUI looks very nice.

Yea thats what i felt when using Rewire, it just stuffed up my workflow and thats last thing you want.

Yea theres a few good free ones around try these aswell http://www.hgf-synthesizer.de/\\.

Sweet. Thanks for the link. These synths look promising. Now I just have to make sure not to fall into the trap of hording massive amounts of plugins and never learning them enough haha.

Back
Top Bottom