Really annoying FL studio time stretch problem

teenious

Hey guys,

I know it's technically not a dnb-related question, but i figured this board is full of FL studio experts, so maybe you can help me out with an annoying problem I have with it.
I have a nice stem of a pad sound from a remix competition. It was cut to be loopable and it contains a few notes, so what the guy did was cut it somewhere at the middle/end of the last note. So far so good, and played at the original speed (145 bpm) it loops perfectly if I automate a fade in and fade out at the first and last sample respectively. Now when I change the BPM of my track and use the "pro transient" time stretching option to readjust the sample, it doesn't stretch correctly, but a bit too short - check out the image:

cFYUNcv.png

...and that way I can't use the sample, obviously. The problem occurs at different tempos, regardless of whether I set it higher or lower than the original one...

I would be really glad if anyone can tell me how to fix this...I could work around it with Audacity or something, but I really feel there is something I'm doing wrong in FL, or some other option I haven't tried yet...

greetings

teenious

Last edited:
In the pattern view window (don't not the 'official' name) click that magnet. The one also visable in both your pictures.
Set it to '(none)'
Stretch the sample to desired length.
???
Profit

Hey Crizis,

thanks for the quick answer yesterday night. tbh I'm pretty embarrassed I didn't think of doing it manually myself. There is one thing you have to do though - I had to look it up on some FL studio forum - when you want to stretch clips in the playlist, you'll have to enable "stretch" in the upper left corner of the playlist under the tab "Focus: audio clips". Otherwise you can't stretch the sample but only add empty space at the end of the clip.

Thanks mate, problem solved.

ps: Still wondering why this problem happens in the first place, FL is strange sometimes...

In the pattern view window (don't not the 'official' name) click that magnet. The one also visable in both your pictures.
Set it to '(none)'
Stretch the sample to desired length.
???
Profit

You can do this in the playlist as well. At the top left corner of it, you'll notice a little circle named "Stretch". Click it, and then go to the waveform, click the right border of it (while holding down the alt key), and then you can stretch it to the desired lenght. It'll obey the timestretching table on the sample window, so it'll fololow the "pro transient" you've chosen before. You can do this as well with samples that are out of the project tempo (for example 128bpm house percussion loops), and make it match the tempo of the project.

You can do this in the playlist as well. At the top left corner of it, you'll notice a little circle named "Stretch". Click it, and then go to the waveform, click the right border of it (while holding down the alt key), and then you can stretch it to the desired lenght.

This is like the shortcut of my method... This. Is. Awesome. It bothered me alot to always set the grid to 'none' to be able to put the waveform perfectly where i wanted it. Amazing tip!

This is like the shortcut of my method... This. Is. Awesome. It bothered me alot to always set the grid to 'none' to be able to put the waveform perfectly where i wanted it. Amazing tip!
I learned this tip while watching a tutorial for a trance song (yeah, you read that right!). The guy didn't talk the whole video, so I had to view the part where he stretched a percussion audio to the tempo of the song a few times to get what he was doing. I tried this on a few songs I'm working right now, and it works for any kind of genre/sound you want.

I learned this tip while watching a tutorial for a trance song (yeah, you read that right!). The guy didn't talk the whole video, so I had to view the part where he stretched a percussion audio to the tempo of the song a few times to get what he was doing. I tried this on a few songs I'm working right now, and it works for any kind of genre/sound you want.

And the pitch also automatically corrects? Because I've had a few problems with that in the past. Now I now how to fix it, but it's a hassle to do it

And the pitch also automatically corrects? Because I've had a few problems with that in the past. Now I now how to fix it, but it's a hassle to do it
The pitch will follow what is set up on the sample "timestretching" tab (resample, pro transient, pro default, speech, etc.)

Is there a shortcut that switches between stretch mode and.. the other mode? I change between them a lot and a shortcut would make my life and workflow so much better.

Back
Top Bottom