Real energetic Drums

Rarrr

Just picked two songs
Im wandering how many different bits typically go into frantic jump up drums

I cant quite tell whats going on in faster tracks... ears not trained yet;)
So was wondering if someone could help me out?

Heres my guess for dont be silly anyhow
Hats (1/16?)
Ride (unsure of timing)
Snare (Usual)
Kick (Normal)
High passed break (amen)

Last edited by a moderator:
i think you may get a variety of responses. one thing I've learned is to basically keep things simple. even if that means a lot of layers, the dynamics should all flow together you know?

looking for more responses in this thread. cheers.

hmm, the Dont Be Silly drums sound a lil simpler to me than what you had in mind... but who knows

id say dont be afraid to play with small reverbs ESP on your hats (you dont want an echo, but long tails)

you can move your snare hits earlier by a short amount to give your beat a more tense and hurried feel. subtle points like this all add up, its not just how many hits you can cram in there. those examples were horrible by the way, just put compressors and distortions on your master bus so it sound like shit and you're well on the way

Last edited:
The key to this style of drums is compression and gate. Every hit is tight with a high threshold and compression ratio. The tails are also made tight by setting the gate with a fast release. This leaves a lot of room for the splash cymbal and allows for all the hits to cut through the drum mix.

With distortion create a master bus where you will send all your fills to. Then run a distortion insert on the bus. By routing this way you will not add distortion to your kick or snare or anything other than the fills.

Hope this helps

Any tricks or suggestions to help make that cymbal or ride extra splashy? (apart from cutting the initial hit)

compression, dampened reverb with built in eq to cut the low/mid, then eq boosting the high freq. to boost the reverb where you want it. reverb helps it sit into the mix better. i don't know tho. just a beginner.

Back
Top Bottom