DnB Ready to give up GRRR

LEX86

Hi all basically I'm ready to pack in production all together I just cannot seem to get anything at all going seriously I make a loop and it ends there I am referring to my favourite tracks of now but still cannot make a track im happy with and yes I do step away from the studio.. For weeks at a time but still no avail. I know working with other producers also provides ideas,and insight but I am not in the position to do that either... I am really lost...... And YES I have a shit load of quality samples,komplete 8 and other synths, am I musicly doomed or what..PLEASE HELP ME

i'm pretty sure every musician in history feels the same at some point, but what's the point in giving up?

just finnish all the tunes you make....DONT TRY TO MAKE YOUR TUNE SOUND PERFECT.(forget perfect kicks and snares). spend a day or so learning music theory. then maybe just go over the producers masterclasses on youtube/vimeo. get a tune you think sounds "simple" drag it into your daw and deconstruct it. set markers and follow along eg bar 15 to 16 drum roll and reversed cymbal etc

i guarantee you that if you finnish a tune, while listening back you will get some ideas on how to improve.
to have bought Komplete means u love this shit...dont give up

just finnish all the tunes you make....DONT TRY TO MAKE YOUR TUNE SOUND PERFECT.(forget perfect kicks and snares). spend a day or so learning music theory. then maybe just go over the producers masterclasses on youtube/vimeo. get a tune you think sounds "simple" drag it into your daw and deconstruct it. set markers and follow along eg bar 15 to 16 drum roll and reversed cymbal etc

i guarantee you that if you finnish a tune, while listening back you will get some ideas on how to improve.
to have bought Komplete means u love this shit...dont give up

Well you have possibly saved me from selling all my gear and ultimately saying goodbye to production. I understand what your telling me,, but I want SO SO BAD to make a track that I can be proud of its killing me that I can't do it. Im not a nooby to production either I know enough to get up and running but I just can't seem to nail one down.....I do love dnb, I have so for 9 years,,, isn't that enough to be able to reproduce a sound I'm so in love with???

Give it up mate, there's no hope.

Also, I'll take care of your monitors for you, no probs, as long as you deal with shipping and that.

Seriously though. Try to do little tracks just as exercises, don't bother thinking that they're actual tunes, they're just experiments you're doing along the way like copying the structure and progression from your favourite tunes and making really low fidelity reproductions of them and shit.

...Or something. Just try not to put too much pressure on yourself or you'll end up like one of those erectile dysfunction guys going "Please, don't fail me now! Fuck fuck fuck I hope it doesn't happen again!!" stressing yourself out and making matters worse.

Give it up mate, there's no hope.

Also, I'll take care of your monitors for you, no probs, as long as you deal with shipping and that.

Seriously though. Try to do little tracks just as exercises, don't bother thinking that they're actual tunes, they're just experiments you're doing along the way like copying the structure and progression from your favourite tunes and making really low fidelity reproductions of them and shit.

...Or something. Just try not to put too much pressure on yourself or you'll end up like one of those erectile dysfunction guys going "Please, don't fail me now! Fuck fuck fuck I hope it doesn't happen again!!" stressing yourself out and making matters worse.

Lol thank you aswell mate I need to take the pressure off I agree... But I am thinking now that the passion for it all will see me through. Thank you

Try a different style, maybe you are naturally good at a type of music you havent even heard or began attempting to write yet, the key is just breaking that boundary (which is your mind) and finding yourself. Maybe you are just waiting for that catalyst to open pandoras box and unleash a style that is different than what everyone else does. You never know when creativity is going to smack you round the head and say be true to yourself!! Maybe you will find it in the most unusual of places, maybe you need a muse in life.

Yes, a load of poetic nonsense. But never ever give up, you will regret it as an old man

Last edited:
Seriously dude, you just have to push through, keep studying and practicing until you get it, it doesn't happen over night, everybody goes through bad spells where they can't get inspired. Just have to keep doing it for the love of music.

Hi all basically I'm ready to pack in production all together I just cannot seem to get anything at all going seriously I make a loop and it ends there I am referring to my favourite tracks of now but still cannot make a track im happy with and yes I do step away from the studio.. For weeks at a time but still no avail. I know working with other producers also provides ideas,and insight but I am not in the position to do that either... I am really lost...... And YES I have a shit load of quality samples,komplete 8 and other synths, am I musicly doomed or what..PLEASE HELP ME

Dude what do you think??? Chase & status or who ever didn't make their famous tunes the first day ever of their production career.

When i opened FL studio for the first time, or NI massive, when i was already a little familiar with fl studio, i was like;;; WTFFFFFFF is this SHIT????!!!!!

After months of trying, i made my first beats... NOthign special....Just kept trying... I didn't know anything about producing or note scales or whatever.....

Now , after 2-3 years, and spending aloooooooooot of time on my DAW, i've made some tunes, which i wanted to sound like that. It's not about imitating someone, however tutorials can help you to learn the basics/ secrets of some programms, but you have to create ur own style. When it sounds good, it sounds good......

NEver give up man..... If i look what i can do nowadays with my daw compared to 2-3 years ago, i'm happy i never gave up producing.

Negative feedback and seeing other people being better than me kept me motivated to go on with producing. NO ONE MADE A SUPERHIT HIS FIRST DAY OF PRODUCING...... JUST NEVER GIVE UP....

And you don't have to be the best producer in the world. If you make tracks for ur hobby, and you can get them sound good, you can let them hear to ur friends or play at parties, that's what makes u feel good when they appreciate it... There's no point in giving up producing... It's the sickest most variating most experimental hobby/ career you can get.......

A little tip.

Always take with you a notebook. And when ur listening to music, or listening to people, or just thinking about something you find interesting, just write it down.
Then sit infront of your DAW, just read all your notes. And try to express them in music. Also, try to listen to old popular songs, songs that your friends like and you don't, and try to think why you don't like this song, and how would you change what you don't like in the song to make it sounds good for you. Then just mess around with your DAW for hours, have fun, try new things, just enjoy yourself, and at some point you will naturally get to a sound that you enjoy.
Atleast those tips works for me when I listen to tracks I made and think they're pretty lame, and lose motivation because of that.

At the end of the day its not about having a super hit that you can be proud. I mean, its really cool if you get to a track you love and you're proud of. But I know a lot of ppl that just make tunes, clips, loops, just enjoying the music possibilities, having fun with DAW. There's no pressure. It's music : it's love, emotions, joy, sadness, all you want to express.

I feel exactly the same man,
Iv been trying to make beats for a couple of years and iv still not finished my first "finished track"

You have just got to keep positive and keep learning every day

NEVER! GIVE! UP! NEVER! EVER!
A little inspirational quote for you.

If Howard Schultz gave up after being turned down by banks 242 times, there would be no Starbucks.
If J.K. Rowling stopped after being turned down by multiple publishers for years, there would be no Harry Potter.
If Walts Disney quit too soon after his theme park concept was trashed 302 times, there would be no Disneyland.
One thing is for sure: If you give up too soon, you'll never know what you'll be missing. Keep going and NEVER quit.

Hope it helps.

yeah think everyone on this forum has times when they just cant get anything finished. or writers block.
and it really does suck when that happens. try not to beat yerself up tho - it'll only make u feel worse. makin music should be enjoyable - dont forget that.
relax and try and enjoy it - things will come.
here is a picture of a cat to cheer u up m8
cat-motivational-poster_59.jpg

i find that having specific wishes and desires makes me frustrated. for example, i want to make a dnb track with a kryptic minds type bass but photek style drumming.. unfortunately i cant do anything like that so i get pissed off after a few hours and delete everythfing. but if i just sit down with an empty mind and start twiddling around with no real plan, then some sounds start to come out and i get some ideas to follow it up. let the music talk aand tell you what to do, not the other way around. rearranging some gear or experimentingwith a new plugin or starting a track from an unusual point is a great way to get some inspiration going. try not to worry about where it ends up when starting out. hope this helps

I was working on a different project for about a week and after that I was fully replenished. I have had pretty bad writer's block in many occasions but all I can say is that the passion you have for the music you make and the feeling what kind of music sounds the best for your ears and the fact you are making it should be just enough to never give up. Maybe do something completely different for a while and learn new stuff, take a new perspective for everything and question the things that you think are right or you have always done certain way. Take a look at your profile and how you represent yourself and take inspiration from yourself and others, study. You shouldn't give up.

Why can't you be be proud about what you have already accomplished? I really hope you stay out there and keep the dnb alive.

Back
Top Bottom