DnB Ready to give up GRRR

stop trying to make dnb or jump up or neurostep or liquid or doobstep/pretendulum or use NI massive (da key is the last one),
find a awesome sample and do whatever it takes to make that sample work in the context of a new song, dont try and make a sample something its not, love the sample, find a good home for it. (sampling is the roots of this shit)
let your instincts flow and do what feels right. Look if you really wanna make it big time hot shot style, make a tune then you (like a lot of the big shots) give it to a engineer who can mix it through some sick analog gear you cant afford and then master it and itll sound fat as something on RAM or whatever (cause chances are you wont be able to achieve that sound in your bedroom, i know producers who do and theyve been in the game for years and years, i guess its something to work towards eventually). if thats what you want.
me personally id rather get in a zone where nothing is forced and tempo is irrelevant because the sample is the key to a vibe, vibes = good tune

eventually you get to a point when concepts become a cool idea to play with but you really gotta be comfortable with your tools in that you can create any sound you want to and pull it off. if you forget about getting signed or copying someones ideas or impressing anyone all your subconscious ideas will flow through and slowly slowy you start to create your own sound. For example there probably isnt another producer around with the same set up as me and even if there is I route everything totally different all the time. Plus field recordings and the stuff i record live no one else has. It all contributes to how we all do things differently. Its a great thing.

Another important thing is, and this shits me no end about modern electronic music and producers, your background knowledge and understanding of MUSIC.
class photek quote from that video with him the guys from source direct and squarepusher he says something like 'everyones sound in jungle reflects as to what theyre into outside of jungle' eg jazz, soul, funk, reggae. Thats why in the 90's jungle was unstoppable, our current generation has too many cunts who grew up listening to music dnb or jungle or house or techno and they wanna make house and techno, theyres a huge gap in understanding and knowledge of the history of music, many producers started playing another instrument, they were not playing piano to make jump up, they liked classical music or jazz or rock, great information you can use to apply to modern electronic music.
Photek was trying to re-create the vibes he heard on miles davis records, you hear through all the old metalheadz releases how dark and deep they were, they took you to another place, they used samples tastefully and recorded themselves for this new idea of music at about 160-170 bpm (jungle) to make a new style of music. There were no templates or rules, you create a vibe/atmosphere/MUSIC and people will dig it.

However if your still learning i cant speak highly enough of trying to re-create your favourite producers sounds to LEARN how they do it, then adapt it into your own.
Ive got a mate who pretty much makes music through sampling, he just finds the best samples and to be honest if he gets his shit straight hes got the potential to be big. We started making music together and he learnt a bit of the technical side of production from me but i learnt how to approach making music from him. Its more important to not force anything and that way you will have fun with it, it will also sound good..
hopefully that gives you something to think about you and hopefully you give up making dnb and start making music end of rant

I believe in what I do, personally.

I believe in hard work.

Cheers.

tumblr_lk8osrcvbk1qzszvro1_1280.jpg

I believe in hard work.

Cheers.

One of the fucking greatest things I've ever read. Powerful!
I've been into Drum and Bass production since I was probably like 15 years old, I downloaded FL for the first time and since then I struggled for 5 years (on and off) to create something but I ALWAYS GAVE UP after short period of time, deleted whole project, because I was not happy with the results. I didn't told to myself that "Don't give up, don't give up!" because it was just easier for me to give up and forget everything, I didn't had patience (Patience is the key of success), since I wanted to achieve something very fast.
But this feeling, this passion inside me to finally produce MY OWN TUNES, has been growing inside me for the last 2 years to start trying again and now, while I've grown stronger, mentally - I frequently tell to my self "I WILL NOT GIVE UP ANYMORE! I JUST CAN'T FAIL ANYMORE AND I WILL NOT FAIL! I WILL FINALLY ACHIEVE SOMETHING, I DON'T CARE HOW LONG IT TAKES BUT I WILL ACHIEVE WHAT I WANT, SO I CAN BE PROUD OF MYSELF!" and I'm repeating this thing inside my head every day when I wake up, when I go to sleep, when I do my daily things. Dream BIG and follow your dreams, then they will become reality. I often dream getting signed by labels like Hospital Records or Ninja Tune, even though I haven't re-started producing music yet since I travel at the moment but when I'm going back to Europe, I will dedicate every hour, minute and second, that I have, to produce something and I will not give up and I know that one day I'll achieve something, I'll achieve what I've been trying to achieve in my dreams.

Writing your own manifest, for example, what are you trying to achieve and what is(are) your goal(s) and how are you planning to achieve it and then reading it every day, helps you to keep your mind focused.

Last edited:
I remember making this same thread about a year ago :lol:

Anyway, you just gotta keep trying. Dont get into the habit of not finishing tunes, finish them even if you think they are shit. Keep watching tutorials, keep reading forums, keep asking questions and keep trying things! It took me about a year before i made a tune i was reasonably happy with, some people it will take less time, some longer.

Dont give up, you'll get there sooner or later!

Last edited:

I believe in hard work.

Cheers.

Finally someone posted that up.. Ive been waiting for it.. Surprised it wasn't sooner!!

Here is the video form:

I haven't been producing for long at all(months) and following this along with other guides have really made a difference. Listening to one of my tunes now compared to when I started is such a huge difference!

Last edited by a moderator:
My friend.....I am the king of writers block! Seriously!

I usually get it after every track I finish! It usually lasts a week or 2.....but right now I'm in my 3rd month of it! It's not for the want of trying either.......I still crave production, and try at least every couple of days, but nothing is working right now......nothing at all! I've tried the usual, taking a break for a week or so, trying different genre's, playing with a new piece of kit......all amounting to sweet feck all! But I'm not beating myself up over it, it'll come back eventually (I Hope!) It's like I took a dump one day, and all creative talent fell out with it!!!

My friend.....I am the king of writers block! Seriously!

I usually get it after every track I finish! It usually lasts a week or 2.....but right now I'm in my 3rd month of it! It's not for the want of trying either.......I still crave production, and try at least every couple of days, but nothing is working right now......nothing at all! I've tried the usual, taking a break for a week or so, trying different genre's, playing with a new piece of kit......all amounting to sweet feck all! But I'm not beating myself up over it, it'll come back eventually (I Hope!) It's like I took a dump one day, and all creative talent fell out with it!!!

I would like to have this tattooed across my back! :)

Everyone has writers block. Everyone gets frustrated. The thing is, just finish the tune. Don't dwell on it. Not every song you create is going to smash the charts. The key is to finish and move on. Then later on down the road you can always go back to the "finished" tunes with a fresh set of ears (and more acquired knowledge) and have another go at it.

Cheers.

But I'm not beating myself up over it, it'll come back eventually (I Hope!) It's like I took a dump one day, and all creative talent fell out with it!!!

Isn't it funny how the day after you made the best thing you ever made you make the worst thing you ever made.....or is that just me?

Isn't it funny how the day after you made the best thing you ever made you make the worst thing you ever made.....or is that just me?

Used to happen to me all the time. One day I would make something that actually has a good vibe to it, the next it sounds like chicken scratch.

I had to develop a mindset that you can never make a tune "perfectly" and eventually started I started to see improvement in my tracks/production skills altogether.

Back
Top Bottom