Re-Thinking

Discussion in 'Production' started by D-Jhepz, Mar 21, 2013.

1. D-Jhepz

D-Jhepz ◕‿◕

Does anyone go back to their works a few weeks or so later and think to themselves "what the fuck was i thinking this is awful"?

Put me on a hectic downer last night when i revisited some of the things i, firstly enjoyed, and secondly even you guys did when i put it up but like wtf how can i mindset change like that... could be a mentality thing or is the song even shit or is it really shit - how can you ever know when you full of personal bais (either to self critical or overly egotistical) - oh the woe of life's mysteries...

2. EvezDroppin

EvezDroppin how to change name,......

if you've been sat on it for too long, quite regularly you will come back and it will sound like absolute shit, or if you were really stoned i find it possible too. As you go along you ears will become more "tuned" if you like and I think you start to know when you're onto something good sooner, and when to give up on something that really isn't working..

This is what I find these days anyway, recently hit a sort of milestone in alot of my mixdowns suddenly improving tenfold.... and maybe it's because I'm not being as lazy as I would with the mixing stage or tbh I think it's just my ears are getting better...

This my all be bullshit, i have just woken up :D just my 2 cents

3. djSing

djSing Ill-usions

+1 on being blazed, I scrapped an entire track the other day that I thought had some potential, but after giving it a listen while completely wrecked...

Last edited: Mar 21, 2013
  4. RUSSLA

RUSSLA DNBF Monarch

Send these 'shit' tunes to mates and get some feedback, its the best way!

5. Sammy Dexcell

Sammy Dexcell Stop editing my profile Smarty!

I do this all the time. You can build such strong long lasting relationships this way.

6. dj mw

dj mw New Member

Thankfully I don't ever hate the things I have made. I may hate the mixdowns the better I get but I have to trust the ideas because I made those decisions and who else can I trust to make them. I have had to train myself to regularly stop, assess and scrap individual elements if necessary so as to not end up miles from home with something irretrievable but I do trust those final decisions. I agree about the perception thing. I try, with everything, to step back, to be objective but worry that this is an impossibility really.

7. D-Jhepz

D-Jhepz ◕‿◕

yeah actually i think you may be onto something with the hole mixdown thing... cos alot of the time when i put the idea down get a nice structure and sounds then i come back the next day and try change it up its in the changing up and technical side where i start thinking wtf is this... but i suppose it a journey of ups and downs self love and loathe and bare cba and overly obsessive

8. RUSSLA

RUSSLA DNBF Monarch

^ yeh you'll be surprised how tiny tweaks in levels and EQ can make a massive difference to mixdowns. Getting the ear for it is all down to experience. I work with someone whos been on it 8 years and the stuff his ears hear boggles me, but then I work with someone else who has been producing less me and he missed shit loads of things i can hear! I find mixing the track with similar tracks shows up loads of mixdown errors instantly.

9. winepunk

winepunk New Member

Having to mostly use headphones results in major tweaks, the stereo image and bass is always screwed up. The nights work ends up being a epic fail.