RCA and XLR, help.

DanDnB

Bass and Drums
I don't know what the advantages are for either.

Someone please help me choose the right cables, I'm going from an Mbox mini to KRK monitors.

My local shop says RCA cables are sh1t and XLR gives a more accurate sound.

Can you confirm?

Thanks!

RCAs are still alright...
though not the greatest...

xlrs are balanced cables...
its 3 pin setup per channel...
one hot which carries the signal
on cold and a earthing pin which
isnt really used...

the cold pin is phased reversed
and added to the hot thus
canceling any noise on the cable
from the cabling itself...

My local shop says RCA cables are sh1t and XLR gives a more accurate sound.

Could also be that they get more profit from XLR's hehe.

But I'd go with balanced XLR cabling still, if your monitors and interface support it. Cabling doesn't really affect the 'sound' of things but like sook said, they're much less susceptible to noise.

Hey Kama,

If im going from an Mbox mini to monitors, and i use XLR cables. Do i need anything else balanced to create a full balanced system or is that it?

The mbox is plugged into the computer via USB.

You dont need anything else if your mbox has a balanced output. balanced cable is not much good if your outputs and inputs don't support it. Not all XLR cables are balanced however. You have your normal mic cables that are connected straight. Balanced cabling also comes in the 1/4" TRS variety.

Whatever you decide to go for, get good quality cables, it'll help get the best out of your equipment.

No point having a really nice china plate if you've got a pissed chimp carrying it for you!

lol true that,

hey motion, I'm just gonna bite the bullet and get XLR cables. I just hope im 'completing the balanced loop' and that i dont need anything else.

I suppose the Mbox only needs the xlr cables for the monitors as i have XLR for the mic.

Yea that'll be fine, if the inputs on your monitors are balanced there shouldnt be a problem. Have a look for some good quality cables that are a sensible length, having loads of extra cable all just coiled up isn't ideal either (and it'll cost you more!)

Back
Top Bottom