Raw.full Interview

sdm

This is Dog Fort
VIP Junglist
RAW.FULL INTERVIEW

rawfull.jpg

dnbforum had a chat with one of Austria's finest Drum & Bass exports, Raw.full. With releases and forthcoming releases on labels such as Freak and Trickdisc, things are certainly looking good for the 22 year old from Vienna, Austria.

PERSONAL

1. How old are you?

2. Where are you from?
Vienna, Austria

3. Do you think your location has affected your success in Drum & Bass?
I think so, but I cant tell in some how. I guess because of Vienna's position D.kay and me had to go a different way, but one thing is for sure: the Internet made it much easier for us to communicate with labels, other artists and just to find out what dnb is all about worldwide.

4. What is your first name?
Philipp

5. Where did the name Raw.full come from?
Hehe, my first DJ name was a combination of my first name and surname (I am not gonna tell you that one now!), which a few close friends of mine didn't like and they changed it to Raw.full, because they almost sound the same.

6. How long have you been producing Drum & Bass?
Since early 2001.

7. Do you DJ, and how long have you been mixing for?
I started DJing with House long before producing DNB, it's 6 years ago and after 1 year I changed to DNB.

8. What are your Drum & Bass influences?
I can't name them all, but the last time mainly trance, techno alongside some deep break things. (But that doesn't mean that I only listened to that kind of music!)

9. Do you have any other musical interests?
I am interested in every kind of music and I listen to all styles.

10. How did you become involved in the Drum & Bass scene?
I was 16, when my best friend took me to the "Sub", Viennas first weekly dnb club. I started to go there on a regular basis and 2 years later I came in contact with Austrias biggest dnb crew "trife.life!", of which I knew a member from my school days. At this time D.kay was as well a member of "trife.life!", that's the way I've met him.

11. What did you do before Drum & Bass?
I went to school and while these days I was really into hip hop, house and also techno.

12. What is the Drum & Bass scene like in your area?
We have a really cool scene in Vienna and Austria. There are on average 2 or 3 parties with uk acts per month in Vienna and also lots of "smaller" parties, organised by one of many Austrian dnb crews.

13. 2003 looks to be a good year for Drum & Bass, where do you see it heading?
Dnb is becoming bigger and bigger, thats a fact. I think that's mostly because of today's variety of dnb (mellow dnb, hard dnb, influences from all over the world, ...), the technical possiblities for producers and once again the internet: it makes communication possible in ways, noone ever expected 3 years before.

14. Do you have a web site?
www.illskillz.at (relaunch end of june)

15. What are your favourite Drum & Bass web sites?
There are lots, but I am checking doa, drum & bass arena, the dsci4 message board and the freak recordings message board on a regular basis.

16. What are your favourite non-Drum & Bass web sites?
http://www.angrynakedpat.com/network/icf/quicktime/whinin2.html ;)

-CONTINUES BELOW-

DJ/PRODUCER

1. Hardware or software?
Logic on Mac with some external hardware.

2. CD/MP3 or vinyl?
I prefer cds, because I am getting lots of fresh stuff as high quality mp3s through the internet and there is no possiblity to cut dubplates in Austria, I would have to get them from Germany and that would take around 2 weeks. Moreover cds are much more cheaper.

3. Can you describe your sound?
That's hard, I like to do every kind of dnb, but the last half of year was mostly dominated by trancy vibes (some harder stuff, deep stuff, bit jump up)

4. What projects are you currently working on?
The last couple of months I was really busy with djing, went to the studio with D.kay quite often (many remixes and a handfull of new ones), set up my own studio three months ago and tried to go ahead with my studies, the last one didn't really work.

5. What future projects are in the pipe line?
There is a big one for ill.skillz, but I can't tell you until the end of june, then it will be offical, so watch out :)

6. Do you plan to tour soon? If so, where?
There are some vague ideas for america and europe for D.kay and me, but when, that depends on a few circumstances, we will see.

7. Are you working on any other genres other than Drum & Bass?
No, although I would be interested (just for fun), but no idea where to get the time at the moment.

8. Are there any Drum & Bass artists you would like to work with?
There are a few, but Klute is far on the top of the list.

9. Is there a certain choon you would like to remix?
Not really, a few weeks ago D.kay, Concord Dawn and me did a remix of "Morning Light" and "Be There 4 U" (both vocals in one tune), I really enjoyed that work, because "Morning Light" was a long time fav of mine and concord dawn are great producers.

10. Are there any non-Drum & Bass artists you would like to work with?
Yes definitely, there are many great artists in Vienna, like for example the Waxolusionists (finest hip hop and more).

11. What Drum & Bass choons are currently at the front of your record box?
For example: "Get Loose" by Digital, "Get Ill" and "Good Foot" by Ed Rush & Optical, "Anthem remix" by Kemal, "Slayer" by Concord Dawn, a new Raiden tune (sorry, I don't know the name), "Mercury Skies" by John B and all 3 parts of the new Klute album. Also the whole dsci4 stuff for the next album is killing me.

12. How did it feel when you first heard someone drop one of your choons at a club?
That was an overwhelming feeling, some mix of being suprised, proud and happy, really special.

13. Do you have an favourite "all time" choon?
Pfu, no, but old tunes I am listening on a regular basis the last time are "Doorway" by Usual Suspects, "This Time" by Daniel Savine (Dom & Roland remix) and "Strontium Jazz" by Future Forces (Dillinja remix).

14. Turntables.. Technics or Vestax?
I never used Vestax, so Technics for me.

15. MCs.. yes, no, or depends?
I like and want mcs, as long as they fit the style of the dj.

16. Dubplates.. 10 or 12 inch?
I always only used 10", that worked for me.

17. Computer format.. PC, MAC, or both?
For office stuff I am using a PC, for music only MAC.

18. Bootlegs.. yes, no, or depends?
It depends, because sometimes there is no other possiblilty to get great music released, it depends on the idea behind for me, earning money shouldn't be decisive for doing a bootleg.

-CONTINUES BELOW-

OFF TOPIC

1. What is your favourite colour?
brown

2. If you could move from Austria, where would you move to?
I don't like to move from Austria forever, I love Austria, but maybe the states for some time, as a child I always wanted to move around the states.

3. Do you drive, and what do you drive?
I drive since I am 18, normally a black Ford Fiesta and during summer I get my father's bit older jeep convertible, that's much fun, believe me :)

4. What is your favourite film?
The Godfather 1-3, almost every Al Pacino film.

CLOSE

1. Any shouts or final words?
Of course really really thanks to everyone who has supported me so far (you know who you are) and a big up to all of you, everyone has his own approach to dnb, I only hope, that it brings you the same pleasure. EEZ

-END OF INTERVIEW-

I would just like to thank Raw.full for taking the time out for the interview - Bigups from the dnbforum.com massive :slayer:

Originally posted by sdm
[10. Are there any non-Drum & Bass artists you would like to work with?
Yes definitely, there are many great artists in Vienna, like for example the Waxolusionists (finest hip hop and more).

go and check them out !
top quality !

:thumbsup:

Back
Top Bottom