DnB Rate my loops, any advice appreciated.

smoothassilk

VIP Junglist
Hello,
I'm completely new to the field of electronica, dance, whateveryouwannacallit etc

I'm not exclusively into DnB, but most of my favorite artists are DnB, so I thought that this forum was a good place to start.

I used to (and still do) play a lot of classical/jazz/blues piano and drums (and bass guitar now), but synths and stuff have been an eye opener for me and something I'm keen to get into.

I want to get into producing, but before I make any tracks, I thought I'd post a couple of loops so that I can have all my newbie mistakes pointed out before I get into production properly.

Anyway, could some people please rate these out of 10 (1 being 'I could get better results by getting a monkey to eat a casio keyboard' and 10 being 'OMG this guy's the new Billain) and offer critisism.

https://soundcloud.com/smoothassilk/80bpm/s-WV9HD

https://soundcloud.com/smoothassilk/dirtybassrender2/s-DJoGt

I'm not going to rate your loops. They weren't horrible; they weren't anything. Well, they were clearly produced, I guess.

It's hard to critique tiny snippets of individual sounds. You should really work up at least a minute and a half of song before you seek input.

Also, I would recommend reading up or studying the mechanics of the DnB genre. For one thing, its bpm is usually 170 or higher (not 80).

Sorry guys, I guess I didn't make much effort. I meant really, really fundamental msitakes like leaving out the sub bass or not using stereo sound at all or not EQing properly

Well, they were clearly produced, I guess.
That was the kinda thing I meant, just general production. I just wanted to make sure I could make a dirty bass that wasn't muddy or badly EQed or lacking in stereo sound.

I think I'd like my first proper DnB track to be a big thing, something I could be proud of.

How about I build a 32 bar drop section, with a few fills? I'm unwilling to make a proper track and spend ages on it before releasing it and finding out that I've missed something really fundamental out.

You're chasing rainbows man, but that's what all newbies do! (not saying I'm a pro or something :D)
You won't be proud of your first tune. You might not even be proud of your tenth tune! It all depends on how much time and effort you will put in your work.
The most important thing is not to rush with things. My music tech teacher taught me to firstly put your all musical ideas together (sounds, chords etc.) and then focus on mixdown when it's all done. If you're stuck on something, move on instead of trying to fix it up. Also remember this - there shouldn't be much of working on mixdown if you have already inserted instruments that work together (drums, bass, mid-range synth and hihats + high freq synth etc etc).
w8mjw4.jpg

On the image above I have circled two main things:
-Tempo for drum and bass oscilates around 170 beats per minute (mostly 170, 172 or 174BPM)
-Using markers will help you putting the tune together.
Also colouring the patterns will make your project look funkier and it will help you choosing the right pattern from the grid.

Back
Top Bottom