Ransom @ Brunel Rooms (20/12/02)

Mulla

Digital Future
VIP Junglist
Ransom @ The Brunel Rooms (20/12/2002)

Their second night at Swindon's Brunel Rooms sees the Ransom boys hitting with an even heavier line-up than last time! An uncompromising dnb room showcasing the cream of todays talent, complimented by the finest hip hop flavas in Room 2, meant that this was sure to be a capacity crowd!
On arrival, resident and Crash/Access Recordings head honcho Dj Poison was laying down the foundations to a solid warm-up set, boasting some of the finest beats to have passed through the Chemical shelves! Id have to say Ive probably seen Poison play out more than any other Dj, and I can honestly say Ive never heard him play a duff set, and tonight was no exception. Making the most of his 2 1/2 hour set (due to Andy C's unfortunate but anticipated no-show), he dropped bomb after bomb - 'Squash (BC rmx)', 'Like A Bird rmx' and 'Darkside' got everyone lively, while all the time making way for the rather incredible 'Smelly Fingers' (a re-lick of Crash Recording's 'Sticky FIngers', you can guess by the title whose remix it is!). Eventually, Mc Drop arrived and immediately joined Poison in an attempt to obliterate the early-evening ravers! By the time it came to the last tune, Poison did look a little relieved and worn-out but deservedly so, as his was one of the sets of the night!
Next up, Movement/V's legendary Brian G came to give us a taste of what tunes are gonna be battering the circuit next year! As always with Mr G, it was dub after dub, but what else would you expect from one of the scenes figureheads? Starting out with an unknown roller, the place instantly erupted! Unfortunately, the plate was obviously well used as the sound quality on the tune was pretty poor, but the energy of the tune more than made up for it! Straight away, Roni's 'Out of Breath' was dropped, which set the pace for the rest of the set! Id love to have been able to tell you more of the tunes he played but surprise surprise, most of them were unknown to me! What I can tell you is that smashers like Kamanchi's 'Appreciation', a surprise 'Trust Me' relick and Dillinja's huge 'Warning' certainly did the damage, and by now resident Mc Dread had joined in the assault!
At this time I decided to have a few minutes cool down in the far more mellow Room 2, where Scratch Pervert's Tony Vegas was showing his stuff! I can honestly say I was blown away! I dont even like hip hop but you cant not appreciate a talent like that. Anyway, local breakdancers also got the opportunity to show their skill with a lively battle circle taking place in the dancefloor!
After a quick breather, I returned to the main room just as Brian was placing his last tune on the deck, and what a tune it was too! Again, no idea what it was, but a definate future-anthem!
Next up, Brian's old mate Donovan Smith took to the decks, and as usual surprised the crowd with a tasty, varied tune selection. All the favourites were there such as '3am' and 'Hornet', while being interspersed with other rollers like 'Freestyle Mambo' and the new Ray Keith thing, with some bird singing about how Rome wasnt built in a day (name escapes me!). Anyway, Donovan, alongside Dread and Drop, continued to smash up the rave for the next hour, finally making way for Shy FX.
Although probably one of the most well-known producers at the moment, I have to say I find Shy one of the most boring Dj's to watch/hear. Like Brian G, Shy's sets are not about technical mixing or double drops or anything like that, they're all about the tunes! Which is fine when your playing fresh new tunes, but a lot of Shy's set, hes been playing all year! 'Rebirth', 'Dont Wanna Know' and 'Aint Too Loud' all featured, and ok, there were new tunes too, but not enough to keep me interested. However, by this point, Mc Dett had made an arrival, and proceeded to draw people from their seats onto the bustling dancefloor!
Unfortunately I had to leave at this point as my ride was being a lightweight, but an enjoyable night was still had! Leaving the club, I managed to say a quick hello to Riddla, who was replacing Shabba (another rather obvious no-show), who no doubt also made quite an impact on the ravers upstairs! Big ups to all the Ransom crew, and all who attended the event!

"darkside" and "Smellted finters".... where can one such as myself hear ra samples of this (not those new ra samples that stu is pedeling though).

'Darkside' is on the Crusaders ep on Reformed. You should be able to listen to it on Chemical, Redeye etc

As for 'Smelly Fingers', you'll have to wait and see if the nights archived anywhere and listen to the set. Ask Access.

Back
Top Bottom