Ragga Jungle - Is it the "underground" of the dnb scene?

j_boncha

Junglist of Paine
Painesville (East Side of Cleveland) Ohio USA
I got into dnb at the heart of the techstep era ('98-'99) and really became interested in it because the beats sounded a lil bit like sum of the dancehall stuff I had got into in the early 90's.

I kinda got into the scene via Reprazents album New Forms and really liked the way they orchestrated their sound.
By the time I had got into dnb there wasnt much of that sound going around anymore but I did like what I heard.

I sum how found out about Dieselboy and bought his Soldiers Story and became a bit of a techstep head until we had the great "liquid" explosion.
I really liked what Hospital was putting out and saw that there was more of a "musicality" to this hardcore music that I was into and I am still trying to f9nd more and more of that kinda thing but I usually gravitate back to the techy stuff.

I have recently heard a few of these "ragga" sets that are making the rounds.
One in particular that I am listeing to right now is R.A.W.'s Warlord.
I have been a bit of a jungle historian ever since I heard my first dnb but I never really paid much attention to the ragga scene because in dnb its very much about the "dubplate culture" and I became engrossed in the latest mixes of the latest tracks.

The ragga scene may actually be what I have been looking for ever since I first got into dnb.
I was a really big fan of artist like Shabba Ranks, Mad Cobra and Snow(the informer) back in the day and I love what sum of the more ragga-style jungle MCs do with dnb. The only one I really hear that much of though is Navigator. Thats only because I own the AK1200 w Navigator CD and have the Ocean Rooms set from February of Friction w SP:MC b2b Navigator.

I see and hear so much about the "mainstream" sound of dnb and would like to hear more ragga jungle sets w and w/o MC.

Can anyone recommend sum ragga stuff.

that starscream guy was booed off of the valve sound system :needsquickgiantlaughsmiley:

I also don't think ragga jungle is underground, considering it was a big thing in the past you can't really come above ground then go back down. Lets just say Ragga Jungle is otherground. It has a decent amount of supporters who seem to think its the underground sound of DnB or whatever but i think its a stand alone sound outside of DnB - you either love it, like it, or can't stand it. I fall in the can handle to listen to it but it gets old after a few tunes. Not into vocal tunes in the least.

The Ragga "Era" was what I liked the most, always will I reckon.

Some decent new bits coming out atm so pretty happy about that!

mw-dnb said:
that starscream guy was booed off of the valve sound system :needsquickgiantlaughsmiley:

I also don't think ragga jungle is underground, considering it was a big thing in the past you can't really come above ground then go back down. Lets just say Ragga Jungle is otherground. It has a decent amount of supporters who seem to think its the underground sound of DnB or whatever but i think its a stand alone sound outside of DnB - you either love it, like it, or can't stand it. I fall in the can handle to listen to it but it gets old after a few tunes. Not into vocal tunes in the least.

i dont want to sound stupid but what is the valve sound system?

Lots of people believe Ragga jungle to be something different from d&b. Loads also believe jungle isn't d&b and d&b isn't jungle.

Me, I just finished a d&b set filled with old skool jungle. Lovely ragga lyrics - I really dig 'em.

I love new skool jungle with ragga elements, Duppy Man, 2 Tone, Tarantula, etc. Not enough of that dnb being produced.

Lovely tracks on the Shy Fx site http://www.digitalsoundboy.com/soundboy.html

Dustek said:
Lots of people believe Ragga jungle to be something different from d&b. Loads also believe jungle isn't d&b and d&b isn't jungle.

Me, I just finished a d&b set filled with old skool jungle. Lovely ragga lyrics - I really dig 'em.

I love new skool jungle with ragga elements, Duppy Man, 2 Tone, Tarantula, etc. Not enough of that dnb being produced.

Lovely tracks on the Shy Fx site http://www.digitalsoundboy.com/soundboy.html

thats not new skool jungle, this is new skool jungle http://mp3.juno.co.uk/MP3/SF166024-01-01-01.mp3

ragga DnB and ragga jungle are different, as are jungle and DnB.

Ragga jungle was at its peak between late 93 and 95/96, after this it kinda died, as did jungle. Ragga jungle was being linked to the negative aspects of the music and so was born DnB with its more 'intelligent' (simple) drum patterns.

Dj SmurFiE said:
thats not new skool jungle, this is new skool jungle http://mp3.juno.co.uk/MP3/SF166024-01-01-01.mp3

ragga DnB and ragga jungle are different, as are jungle and DnB.

Ragga jungle was at its peak between late 93 and 95/96, after this it kinda died, as did jungle. Ragga jungle was being linked to the negative aspects of the music and so was born DnB with its more 'intelligent' (simple) drum patterns.

Yeah man. Keep believing that.

And I only listen to nu old skool ragga tech jump neuro jungle.

So what phase was the dnb at when it sounded like someone was having a parkisons fit with a drum kit lol :lol_board

I'm glad dnb has become more intelligent the old skool stuff well some of it was awful just sounded like some dude smashing the contents of he's kitchen

You would get the local jungle head going tune and I would be like can't see it myself is shite lol

:carlton:

The_BigZ said:
So what phase was the dnb at when it sounded like someone was having a parkisons fit with a drum kit lol :lol_board

I'm glad dnb has become more intelligent the old skool stuff well some of it was awful just sounded like some dude smashing the contents of he's kitchen

You would get the local jungle head going tune and I would be like can't see it myself is shite lol

:carlton:

Yeah. Old Jungle/dnb is a load of shite.

Or not..

Im feeling the Ragga Jungle that isnt the 150 miles per hour calamity beats style that loads of the guys on Ragga-Jungle.com play. If you've heard it you'll know what I mean

When I hear a rolling jungle beat with some ragga chat over it and a dancehall/bashment type beat, I can't help but to dance about,or nod my head like someone with Tourettes when I'm having a mix up.

If you were around when Jungle first started being played at Raves, it was heavily influenced by Reggae/Ragga, and a lot of people used to cuss me and say I thought I was black cos Im a Junglist.

Im just glad that people wrote of Jungle when Garage blew up, but DNB stayed firm and went worldwide, while Garage turned to Grime and if you like it thats fine, but I know its tripe.

I hope no one tries to make any Jungle style "Underground" cos all styles can hold their own and get respect

Thats my waffle over now.

Shall I smoke another Northern Lights biff.......yeah fuck it.

One love peeps

Super

Back
Top Bottom