quitting the cigs?

Discussion in 'Waffle' started by technic1210, Oct 7, 2009.

1. technic1210

technic1210 ''VINYL VINYL VINYL''

Basically i started when i hit secondary school as most do,at 11 smoking the odd week nights but mainly weekends friday sat ect,when i got to about 14 i was buying them myself and by 16 a heavy smoker,now at 25 i get all things that go with smoking short of breath tight chest when just watching tv a constant cough of flem,all the gak things,so im in the process of patches and gum,just bunged on my first patch of the highest one you can get.I wanted to know who else has used patches,did they work for you?how did you quit?when i went to the smoking woman at the docs she asks what you miss the most about stopping,she said loads of people say the action of smoking or holding the cig ect,i miss the actual inhalation of it going down my lug hole.if you got the time would be good to here some things from other people who have smoked 10 years or more as you will understand how biger thing it is for me to quit.

thaughts suggestions

2. ScottyEightSix

ScottyEightSix HUGE EARS > COMEDY CHIN

I've smoked for 5 years on an off, only really smoke at the weekends now tho, I just need a cig as soon as beer touches my lips.

3. technic1210

technic1210 ''VINYL VINYL VINYL''

so you are able to stop and start with no problems,thats lucky init.

4. ScottyEightSix

ScottyEightSix HUGE EARS > COMEDY CHIN

I've got good will power when I'm sober but as soon as I've had a few beers I cant help myself

5. rob_del_terror

rob_del_terror - ̿ ̿'̵͇̿̿з=(•̪●)=ε

fuck patches. will power required. if ya got the will power to do it with, you can do it without. i'm not speaking from experience, i quit trying to quit.

when your health's at risk i think its easier to find the will power tho.

6. Teddy

Teddy 60% Staff Member

good luck man! giving up smoking is probably one of the hardest things u can do!
    was 4 me anyway and i ended up starting again!

7. JamesZero

JamesZero aka Zero Beats

I tried patches.. they were shit, itchy as fuck when you first put them on then 10 mins later they would just fall off anyway.

I then tried gum, which is even worse... your not allowed to chew it like normal chewing gum. You have to chew for 30 seconds or so then just hold it against your gums or some crap like that.

In the end I just set myself a date (which was about a month away) and said I have to give up on that day... and thats what I did. The first couple of weeks are hard, especially when your down the pub and your mates are smoking but its worth it if you stick with it! 2 and a half years down the line I still haven't had one.

Think of the money as well mate! Some guy in front of me at the shop this morning brought some milk and 20 silk cut (never understood why people smoke them!) and it came to over £6... fuck that if your going through 20 a day!

8. dose.bs1

dose.bs1 THE DADDY

Yeah i only smoke on weekends, week days if drinkin, loads when im mashed! Good luck with the quitting mate..

9. Fortune^

Fortune^ ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)

Get a bird who doesn't smoke.

I had to stop smoking during my brief marriage to Scarlett Johansson.

I heard later that my smoking was the final straw, she left me for ryan reynolds.

DONT SMOKE, YOU WILL LOSE YOUR CELEBRITY WIFE.

10. richie_stix

richie_stix gomby plz

my mates uses one of them inhalator things... seems quite good, and delivers nicotine in 'hits', rather than a flow and i think this satisfies your craving more (plus you get to go through the actions!)

i need to quit soon, as i can feel my lungs deteriorating and i need surgery on my knee next year so it's on the cards!

thing for me is, it's 75% a mental addiction and 25% physical... i often smoke fags when i don't 'need' one, especially as soon as that first sweet sip of beer touches my lips! i think it's the rountine i will miss, like my first fag as soon as i get into my car... or the after dinner special?

11. safety

safety double safety

i've smoked for 16 years. i gave up last year for 10 months after reading allen carr's the easy way to stop smoking. it was well worth the £2.50 of amazon, it worked, but i didn't follow his advice completely and in the end started smoking when i was drunk and that was it, i was hooked again. i'm now reading the follow up book for people who don't do it with the first one so fingers crossed after this book, i'll be rid of the habit.

i'd seriously recomend the easy way, made it a lot easier than patches and inhalators. he deals with the psychology of smoking and helps rid you of the brain washing. get the book. you don't even have to give up till you finish reading it

12. safety

safety double safety

you need to read the book too, what you just said is basically what it deals with

13. Moskit

Moskit :rodigan: Staff Member

Best thing I ever did, next to quitting smoking Buckets.

Smoked 20 Marlboros & 1/2 Ounce Of Baccy a day bare minimum for 8 years, haven't smoked a Cigarette for 9 years now.

Its different for everyone I think, I just quit, cold turkey...

Tough as fuck at first, but just upped my alcohol & weed intake for the 1st year to cover it, not ideal I know, but worked for me.

However, I now have quite serious drink issues.

Meh, I much prefer drinking to smoking. :rolleyes:

Good luck man.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2009
  14. rob_del_terror

my auntie quit 25 years ago and says she still gets the craving.

i dont smoke much through the week coz i dont smoke in the house.
    not smoking in your house has a massive effect on how much you smoke. especially through winter.

15. Wellsy

Wellsy Member

fags are bunk! been a light smoker for about 5 years but not sure why, used to love going to the tobacco shop when I was 15 and getting shit like banana and strawberry baccy :p I quit cold turkey for about 2 months couple of weeks ago but then started having the odd one again when walking about, but it is dead easy to give up if you just randomly think fuck it whats the point, just stick to it, if you really have intentions of giving up then you will, simple as as!!

16. Moskit

Moskit :rodigan: Staff Member

The only craving I get is for Marlboro Reds after numerous Pints, I smell one blindfolded in a Hurricane, wierd as fuck!

Couldn't physically put the fag to mouth though, would be violently sick... In fact, I think thats what its all about, convincing yourself, that if you smoke tobacco it will make you vomit.

Plus, the house thing is very true indeed, but is a dangerous one, as you can become happy with "cutting down" & not actually quitting. ;)

17. rob_del_terror

other benefits of smokin outside is that your out in the fresh air not a smoke filled room.

i quite enjoy havin a smoke in my garden to be honest. and for that reason i've started after quiting for 3 months before.

18. djhektikz

djhektikz Active Member

This!! dont smoke at tall through the week but as soon as alochol hits my lips! i can smoke a 20 deck in a night easy.

19. RocksteadyUK

RocksteadyUK SkimoBeats

mate go buy some chewing gum.... any old wrigleys will do.... when you feel for a ciggy just chew a gum..... works for me... although i still smoke and dont really see the point of giving up.... but when i have the odd couple of days where i think i should stop for a bit.... this works...

20. Nick-ep

Nick-ep RudeFM/In-Reach

Iv tried so many times to quit but it just does not work. So standard to have a fag a beer like people have said. All i could suggest is go down to rollies rather than cigarettes. Fags are just full of chemicals and dont really sort out the cravings (personally). I usually have about 2-3 rollies a day after meals mainly. Its getting less and less as im trying to get out of routine of 'needing' a fag.
    Rollies last me much longer aswell. I spend about £5 a week on baccy. I think actual cigarettes are alot more addictive than rollies aswell. I never feel satisfied after a cigarette.