quick sidechaining question

Krispy

VIP Junglist
Does sidechaining still work if the sound you are trying to make come through is muted? Saying I want to create an on/off effect on a channel. I use some kicks on a channel but I dont want the kicks to be heard, just have the other tracks quieted at those points.

Does this make sense?

yeah i guess you can still sidechain something even if it is quiet because the signal is still coming through so makes sense

i know in ableton, if the sidechained track is being triggered by a kick drum in another track, dedicated to sidechaining, i can just mute the whole kick drum track, and it still works.

what is sidechaining and how or why would i go about it in reason? i realise i could search on google but half the time the way its worded is making it more complicated than it is!

what is sidechaining and how or why would i go about it in reason? i realise i could search on google but half the time the way its worded is making it more complicated than it is!
Imagine putting a compressor on your bass track. Normally the comp is triggered by the bass signal itself, when it reachs the thresh-hold set. With sidechaining you would set up another track with some sort of hit (perhaps a kick or a hat) Now you set it up so that the compressor is triggered by that hit instead, so each time the kick hits the bass is compressed.

How you set it up will be DAW dependent I guess so you'll have to figure that out.

Like the others said, the trigger track (kick, whatever) can be part of your tune (sent to the output) or just there for the purpose of side-chaining (don't send it to the output/mute it)

in creates a pumping effect on whatever track is being compressed. you can really make a bassline or a drum break move with sidechain compression. i like to sidechain my constant hi-hat track to the snare, so the hats dip out to pronounce the snare more...just one of many uses...

in creates a pumping effect on whatever track is being compressed. you can really make a bassline or a drum break move with sidechain compression. i like to sidechain my constant hi-hat track to the snare, so the hats dip out to pronounce the snare more...just one of many uses...

Never heard of the hi-hat to the snare idea before, good one

Sidechaining basically ducks the volume of a synth (pad, bass, whatever you want) by triggering an other instrument, say a kick drum.

Put an MClass Compressor on the instrument you want to sidechain. Create a ReDrum, flip the rack and disconnect the cables. Import a kick drum into a ReDrum channel then take the output of that drum channel and put it in the sidechain input of the MClass Compressor you have just created. To get a really exaggerated pumping sound just put the compression ratio to infinity and the threshold all the way to the left. The kick drum won't come through the mix as it isn't connected to any audio output.

You can use the ReDrum and a Spider Audio Splitter to send the kick drum as a trigger signal to up to 4 different instruments with an MClass Compressor connected.

So useful its untrue.

Sidechaining basically ducks the volume of a synth (pad, bass, whatever you want) by triggering an other instrument, say a kick drum.

Put an MClass Compressor on the instrument you want to sidechain. Create a ReDrum, flip the rack and disconnect the cables. Import a kick drum into a ReDrum channel then take the output of that drum channel and put it in the sidechain input of the MClass Compressor you have just created. To get a really exaggerated pumping sound just put the compression ratio to infinity and the threshold all the way to the left. The kick drum won't come through the mix as it isn't connected to any audio output.

You can use the ReDrum and a Spider Audio Splitter to send the kick drum as a trigger signal to up to 4 different instruments with an MClass Compressor connected.

So useful its untrue.
legend, thanks

---------- Post added at 12:40 ---------- Previous post was at 12:38 ----------

take it its good to get ur kick coming through the mix without having to bump the volume up or eq it too much?!
and to create a sorta bounce on the bassline?> gnna have to have a go at this!!

legend, thanks

---------- Post added at 12:40 ---------- Previous post was at 12:38 ----------

take it its good to get ur kick coming through the mix without having to bump the volume up or eq it too much?!
and to create a sorta bounce on the bassline?> gnna have to have a go at this!!

You are creating the illusion that kick is more pronounced anyway as the other elements are ducking when the kick drum hits.

Back
Top Bottom