Quick Question before a gig tonight

mad scientist

Turkish
Hello experts. So I have a gig tonight doing the closing set at a local club. I've DJ'ed out 4 times already, but I've only used my controller at the shows. (No Sync buttons)

Inside my home studio, I have one Gemini 1800 CD player (super old, with a small jog wheel) and a Stanton C304 (with a more normal sized platter). I also have 2 1200's, but I know for sure the club I'm spinning at tonight has 2 900's. So, my question is as follows, and thank you for any and all replies.

How fast should I be spinning the platter in order to speed up/slow down my tunes being mixed? I ask this because on my older Gemini CD player, I feel like I have to spin the platter faster, but the platters a lot smaller thus making it hard to fine tune. I mean should I be expecting a dramatic difference in the performance of the jog wheel on the 900's compared to my older units at home? I plan on keeping the pitch range on the 900's at 6% and I guess I should mention that all my tunes are between 87 (174) bpm's to 87.5 (175) bpm's. After I've made my pitch adjustments do the tunes stay matched throughout or will I be adjusting throughout the mix? (one good thing about controllers, they keep the beats locked) I already know how to beatmatch, but sometimes I feel like I over think it and thus sometimes resulting in going in and out of matched beats. Plus, I have to resort to using a shitty pair of headphones because my good ones kind of expired and stopped working.

So thanks for your time, and I anticipate hearing from you.

Definitely over thinking it mate. You'll have to adjust the jog wheel until its beat matched, no one can tell you how much this will be because there are so many variables involved in this process (reaction speed, accuracy of the bars you've counted etc etc). As for the bpm, you'll have to adjust it each tune, it won't stay locked. 174 up to 175 is + 0.60 or so on the pitch fader, again though, its all about using your ears. :)

Sent from Andy C's trucker hat using Tapatalk.

probably slight less than the gemini ones i'd guess mate. not sure, usually pioneers have adjustable jog wheels but i dont think the 900s do

Ride the pitch. From my experience of cdjs (which I'll admit is limited,) the touch on the cd trackwheel is much more sensitive than you'd expect. Even more on the higher end 800's /1000's etc. Take it easy and if it sounds right don't be eager to drastically change the pitch

having used various cdjs i'd definitely suggest going easy with it first til you get used to it. riding pitches on older cdjs is a bitch as well, a lot easier on the newer ones though

Word!! Thanks everyone. I honestly feel like I over think the whole process. I get everything matched up, but then I second guess myself. I'll ease up on the over thinking. I've got my tunes sorted, so now its time for a cold one, a smoke, and then off to the club!!

Word!! Thanks everyone. I honestly feel like I over think the whole process. I get everything matched up, but then I second guess myself. I'll ease up on the over thinking. I've got my tunes sorted, so now its time for a cold one, a smoke, and then off to the club!!

Having a blaze beforehand helps the overthinking i find.

Back
Top Bottom