Quick question about high passing breaks

mr meh

VIP Junglist
Is there a general range or a specific frequency where you cut off breaks that your gonna use for layering beats with?

cheers

not really, it depends what sound you want, upto 200hz will give you a full snare, upto 500hz will give you full hats less snare, upto 1khz will give u a pretty sharp backing hat/shaker sound, not a big fan of break loops myself, lots more fun writing ur own

Yeah if you go high enough to get rid of the weight of the snare sometimes you cut the body out of the hats as well, so it does depend. Sometimes you're better slicing bits out rather than trying to eq them out.

Personally like having my snares hit a little closer to 100, maybe cut em at 150, so they have a little bit of bass in them. And yes, make your own breaks, much more satisfying imo. I was strictly 4x4 kicks before I started making my own breaks. Now I can't make a tune without at least putting a bridge with breaks in it somewhere ;P

Yeah, writing your own is good, but sometimes cutting up pre-made ones and putting them behind the main drums gives a nice filling effect.

Also, I haven't tried this, but would sidechaining the breaks to whatever drum work?
Like, I'd imagine it would take out the snare hits so it doesn't sound too overpowered, whilst still giving you the hats in between hits.

Could sound terrible though, like I said I haven't tried it ;)

Yeah, writing your own is good, but sometimes cutting up pre-made ones and putting them behind the main drums gives a nice filling effect.

Also, I haven't tried this, but would sidechaining the breaks to whatever drum work?
Like, I'd imagine it would take out the snare hits so it doesn't sound too overpowered, whilst still giving you the hats in between hits.

Could sound terrible though, like I said I haven't tried it ;)

actually thats used quite a lot. sidechaining the kick and snare to the breaks => you dont have to eq so much out.

depends on the tune tho really. if i want a break'ish tune id only cut out the kick and replace that, layer the snare and work on the transients with a compressor&transient shaper and eq to taste (or better: to fit with the tune) - if im doing a proper two-steppy dancefloor tune where i just want some little fills in the background, i usually sidechain or cut out kicks and snares and give it a rolloff at like 500-1000hz and eq the hiend so no spikes come out and it sounds nice and clean.

and @miszt its just how you use it. ie the amen - generally i cant stand tunes that just rely on that (why i cant stand most jungle :D) - but if its done nice and fits just tooo good, the tune is perfect (best examples this year so far for me: phil tangents billys smile, lsb rolling sideways or colourz - all i need) - all rely on the amen heavily, but its used so good i dont care really - and do you think those tunes would be anywhere near as good without the obvious sampling?

soo. best of both worlds really - and without the soulpride-snare all these minimal tunes wouldnt sound the same as they do now. i kinda think spectrasoul and the likes use it in like every tune :D

An easy-few-use electronic parking brake that switches off when you press the gas keeps your feet from cramping at red lights.

An easy-few-use electronic parking brake that switches off when you press the gas keeps your feet from cramping at red lights.

haha lol what? wicked advice there mate!

in answer to the original question, it depends how your using the break in the mix, you could have it high passed at 80HZ if you want the whole sounds, obv the 80HZ will remove and boominess from the break, but use your ears for it, have the rest of the drums playing and experiment which frequency sounds best to high pass at.

Ajay

Ive been experimenting by high passing some really splashy type rides and sending it to a reverb on a send and then sidechaining the send, tryin to get that icicle sorta drum work, works quite well if you got a big kick n snare to hold the wieght of the tune on.
And sending your mid bass to the same reverb sounds nice too.

But yea to answer, high pass as much as you feel you need to and if the snares or kicks in the breaks suck then replace them with a hat in the break so there are no gaps?? all depends what your going for tho! sometimes a tune relies solely on a break to get the same sound as many mainstream tunes?

Back
Top Bottom