questions bout mastering

RevTech

Butthole=output transduce
VIP Junglist
I got a tune being mastered,

how long will it take until he is done? I reckon a month or what.

Also, how much better will it sound really?

(sorry if I sound like a noob and all)

It takes about an hour or more per track I hear. Mastering is a pretty quick thing, it doesn't really help kneading the track around too much, unless the engineer is really inexperienced and doesn't know what he's supposed to be doing. A professional ME knows what his equipment does and what it can do to that particular track even before he touches anything.

On optimum mixdown the mastering affects the sound very little. Nowadays the most audible effect of mastering is turning the track as loud as possible without pumping.

It takes about an hour or more per track I hear. Mastering is a pretty quick thing, it doesn't really help kneading the track around too much, unless the engineer is really inexperienced and doesn't know what he's supposed to be doing. A professional ME knows what his equipment does and what it can do to that particular track even before he touches anything.

On optimum mixdown the mastering affects the sound very little. Nowadays the most audible effect of mastering is turning the track as loud as possible without pumping.

This is spot on.

I would be worried if someone said it was going to take a month to master my track!!

Once your track is mastered it should sound louder, sometimes the mastering my bring out the sound a bit more in some areas... light brighter sounding high hats etc... all depends on the mastering engineer and the material he is working with.

Of course, if he does it for free, it's going to be worth it anyway. If only to see if the ME was any good. Giving out free mastering can of course be very educational.

I'd like to hear the difference when/if you get it back.

Back
Top Bottom