Questions about releasing remixes

Discussion in 'Production' started by Dolomite, Mar 22, 2015.

1. Dolomite

Dolomite New Member

Say you remixed a non-drum n bass track (e.g house, hiphop, garage etc etc) into a drum n bass track, how would you release it? Would you contact the label that released the original and ask them to release it on their label? would you ask them for permission to release your remix on whatever drum n bass label? would you contact the original artist directly for permission? Or would you be forced to release it for free as a bootleg?

Also, what if you remix an old song (about 10 years plus) and the original label no longer exists and the original artist appears to be inactive. Would they actually care if you released a remix on whatever label?

Replies are appreciated, Thank you

2. Saftstein

Saftstein Active Member

If you want to release am official remix you always have to do it with the permission of the label who released the original. Sometimes the remixes are released on different labels because they have a contract with the original artists/label.
    I think the rights of music disappear after 100 years or so. If the label doesn't exist after 10 years, anyone else has the rights.

In the case you don't have official rights release it as a free bootleg and you won't have any problems.

EDIT:
    What i'm wondering is, are you allowed to release a remix on bandcamp? Hmmm, has anyeone ever done this?

Last edited: Mar 24, 2015
    logikz and Dolomite like this.
  3. Dolomite

Dolomite New Member

Thank you, explained alot :)

4. logikz

logikz I Am Not The King Staff Member

yeah, be careful of the stairs my man. be weary of the stairs. i remixed to shape the future a long time ago. it was really fun, but i kept it to myself, so as not to get the stairs. its only good sense.

Dannyboy93 likes this.
  5. Dark Lizardro

Dark Lizardro The Lizard that has a hammer Staff Member

According to their ToS, no, you can't release any copyrighted material.