Dubstep Questionj: Knife Party Yoi Gating

xxnocturnexx

Hi, I'm practicing on becoming a Dubstep producer, and I'm currently learning how to use Native Instrument's Massive. I've been able to teach myself mostly with tutorials from Youtube and Google but I got stuck on something.

I've created a pretty unique gravelly yoi sound by myself that I'm happy with, but I wanted to mix it up a little bit. So my question to any helpful people out there is if someone could give some tips on how to create a similar yoi gating effect like the one in Knife Party's Bonfire. It's audible at 1:00-1:01 (it also repeats a few times throughout). The yoi gates the end part of it, which I can't seem to recreate.
I've tried using dblue glitch with the reverser and the gater but with less than satisfying results.

[video=youtube_share;e-IWRmpefzE]http://youtu.be/e-IWRmpefzE?t=59s[/video]

Skrillex uses a similar effect in First of the Year (Equinox), but mostly on the screeches.

You are gonna get flamed soooooooooo badly for this!

I was thinking the same thing, wasn't sure if he's trolling or not.

If not, then its the gayest and simplest noise to make in massive there are hundreds of tutorials online about it. If i recall you can either make it with modern talking or the throat wave. Fuck about with a sample hold on an insert and stick a daft filter on with shit loads of resonance, i hate that i know how to do this from memory F..........M..........L

Can't see why he is trolling??

I'm not a fan of Yoi bass =] but surely people aren't that far up their own ass/arse

I was thinking the same thing, wasn't sure if he's trolling or not.

If not, then its the gayest and simplest noise to make in massive there are hundreds of tutorials online about it. If i recall you can either make it with modern talking or the throat wave. Fuck about with a sample hold on an insert and stick a daft filter on with shit loads of resonance, i hate that i know how to do this from memory F..........M..........L

she's*

Sorry, I'm still learning, didn't mean to offend anyone. :S

Thanks for the tips tho. I was just having a hard time with the gating effect, since I already tweaked around with the sound and didn't want to mess with what I had already made.
Can you also point in the direction of some of those tutorials, since what I'm typing in doesn't seem to get me any results?

Thanks again...

Can't see why he is trolling??

I'm not a fan of Yoi bass =] but surely people aren't that far up their own ass/arse

Again, I'm a she. Just want to quickly add that the sound I made isn't all that similar to Knife Party's, I'm not trying to imitate them, I was just asking how to get the effect...

Yeah in Massive it's usually made with the ring mod or the one whatchamacallit in the down right effects section. Easiest way to create this is definitely with some bitcrusher.

I can even make a tutorial right now with 3xosc in FL and a free plug called "geektronic" check it: http://numerisson.com/novaflash/vst/geektronic/

So do this, or experiment with waveforms:

92422353.png

Play with mod x and the resonance, amount too, you can try even the lfo to make "wobbles". Geektronics SR changes the sound and depth, take the fucking lfo off.

And done, add chorus and poly and shit to make fat or distortion. Also add the sub, don't forget sub in the post modern bass music, definitely.

Sounds like this:

And there you have it bitcheeeees I'm out and stay neurofunk that shit is future and complex and shit.

EDIT: The sound is definitely done with massive, I had couple of presets for the sound but lost it all in the failed backup, they were done with the filters and the effects section below, scream filter was it? Inserts they were called, and a lot of resonance.

Last edited:
Again, I'm a she. Just want to quickly add that the sound I made isn't all that similar to Knife Party's, I'm not trying to imitate them, I was just asking how to get the effect...

I personally don't think it was a gate. I think it is the moving of a wavetable. I could be wrong but I know it works. If you move around the wavetable osc you will hear different vowels. Manually move the position knob or what ever you have to get the desired effect.

You could manually chop up the wave form and put it in the rhythm you want. Or use any sort of beat repeat plug-in (like Supa Trigga!), it sounds to me more like that than an actual gate on the channel.

It's a scientifically proven fact that chicks don't exist on the internet, especially forums

Back
Top Bottom