Question?

Youre not the only one mate.

Personally i would rather pay and get my dubs cut than burn it to a cd, so much more satisfaction involved.

Im proper against CDJ's, fuck knows why, im just a firm believer that a DJ uses vinyl, not like radio show hosts who call themselves DJ's but but just press play on a cd deck)

BUT each to there own.....

yea mate i agree!

with the cutters i use i get to watch them master the tune and have an active input on how it sounds on the vinyl aswell. now u dont get ur own lil mastering technician with years of experience inside ur cd burner i guess lol

but i cant afford to keep paying for dubs to be cut everytime i got a new tune i wanna play out

I do love vinyl but will definately be adding cdj to the setup as soon as i can afford it. purely econmical purposes ofcourse :)

Last edited:
I'm against CD's or MP3's for DJing. I can't think of any reason why I would want a CD deck or MP3 controller.

Maybe after a while I'll start to come around to the idea of CD decks. But they just seem a bit whack.

But then again, I'm new to DJing, I've been mixing for about 3 months on vinyl. So what do I know?

i only own vinyl going back 15 odd years now and have a pair of Technics 1210's. I have been 'ripping' most of my vinyl to mp3 as where i live it is rare to find another set of vinyl decks. I have played CDJ's with my MP3 files at a couple of friends and aside from adjusting to a slightly new technique it was 'same shit, different day' for me.

There is no logic for playing vinyl anymore :(

As a format Vinyl vs Digital : vinyl heavy, digital light. vinyl bulky, digital next to nothing. vinyl damages permanently, digital burn from backup another CD. Vinyl expensive, digital cheap. Vinyl have to buy two tracks when you might like one, digital buy only what you want.

As a player Vinyl vs Digital : Vinyl decks heavy, bulky and limited function, digital small, light and dripping with functions.

No doubt i prefer handling each record, choosing by label/sleeve image having the 'it might skip at any moment vibe' going on ! Now a 'cheat' when playing CDJ you can touch the platter without the sound 'warping' so adjusting speed/phasing during a mix is so much easier than on vinyl.

I say you need much more commitment (both financial and effort) to play vinyl but frankly its all about the music and only another vinyl DJ gives a shit about the format.

Last edited:
I use CDJ, cos theres no way i can afford vinyl, and yeah its alot easier, i guess thats why people who use vinyl have something against CDJs.

like i surf n i used to hate on bodyboarders, and the more i thought about it i realized i only resented them cos they could take off later cos they didnt need to get up..

same thing with vinyl an cdj.. so long as the mixing is good, and they are actually beat matching, it really shouldnt bother anyone...

just use what your comfortable with. if you dont like cdjs dont use em.. simple.

i only own vinyl going back 15 odd years now and have a pair of Technics 1210's. I have been 'ripping' most of my vinyl to mp3 as where i live it is rare to find another set of vinyl decks. I have played CDJ's with my MP3 files at a couple of friends and aside from adjusting to a slightly new technique it was 'same shit, different day' for me.

There is no logic for playing vinyl anymore :(

As a format Vinyl vs Digital : vinyl heavy, digital light. vinyl bulky, digital next to nothing. vinyl damages permanently, digital burn from backup another CD. Vinyl expensive, digital cheap. Vinyl have to buy two tracks when you might like one, digital buy only what you want.

As a player Vinyl vs Digital : Vinyl decks heavy, bulky and limited function, digital small, light and dripping with functions.

No doubt i prefer handling each record, choosing by label/sleeve image having the 'it might skip at any moment vibe' going on ! Now a 'cheat' when playing CDJ you can touch the platter without the sound 'warping' so adjusting speed/phasing during a mix is so much easier than on vinyl.

I say you need much more commitment (both financial and effort) to play vinyl but frankly its all about the music and only another vinyl DJ gives a shit about the format.

sums it up quite nicely!

Youre not the only one mate.

Personally i would rather pay and get my dubs cut than burn it to a cd, so much more satisfaction involved.

Im proper against CDJ's, fuck knows why, im just a firm believer that a DJ uses vinyl, not like radio show hosts who call themselves DJ's but but just press play on a cd deck)

BUT each to there own.....

Granted you just press a button but ffs you still have to mix, its exactly the same principles as vinyl, no different whatsoever!!

This topic comes up so much its getting fucking old, Oria has hit the nail on the head proper! I wish I could lock all these fucking threads lol!

So DJ's use CD's and MP3'S, who gives a fuck what they use?

I for one didn't enjoy carrying a nights worth of vinyl up and down stairs of our local council estates. Bare in mind, although DnB is my music, I was playing at parties where they wanted Garage, House and RnB too. Mobile DJing is a different ball game and the vast majority of mobile DJ's welcome CD's, mp3 and WAVs with open arms.

There's nothing wrong with a DJ using digital media as long as the mixings clean, the sets good and they don't bring pre-pitched CD's (Not mentioning any names)

Have to say if I was playing out now, I'd switch to CDs or HDD decks.

I use both Vinyl and CDs. I've had to stop buying vinyl due to a new mortgage and new member of the family so buying WAVs has been a god send and kept my collection up to date without having to fork out a shit load of money for vinyl. I haven't bought a substantial vinyl order for about 18 months now.
An album of 13 tracks will cost a tenner as WAVs or the vinyl will cost £20 for 8 tracks. I prefer mixing with vinyl due to speed of mixing and the feel but digital is the future and it won't be long before vinyl is phased out completely. I give it another decade and vinyl will be no longer.
I find when I play out that my sets are still 95% vinyl though as I am asked to play jungle sets a lot.

i currently own 1210's and numark arc3's and i personally prefer to use vinyl, but while here at uni i only have a small selection on vinyl and only have my cdjs here. So atm its cd's and vinyl. cd's for digital releases and pre-releases. But i dont go to a vinyl shop anymore, i just order online when hunting down a vinyl.

i buy vinyl regularly. i buy it, clean it, rip it to flac, store it and then play the file in traktor scratch. i then have a perfect digital copy that i can't have beer spilt on or scratched and a perfect condition vinyl for home. i don't use bpm counters, sync lock, key lock or anything else, i am literally playing mp3s the same as i do records. personally, i dont see the problem.

i used to hold the same prejudices against these 'fake' djs until i realised that times are changing and that you only limit yourself by holding these archaic views. 90% of people don't have a clue what the fuck you're doing behind the decks anyway so get over it and stop clinging to days gone by. :)

Back
Top Bottom