question.

hyperd4eva

H&M SCARVES
VIP Junglist
Are monitor speakers any good for mixing on? had mixed reviews that HI-Fi speakers are better and should only use monitors for production. gonna upgrade mixer and speakers this week so need some that i can use for both. this will be mostly for mixing though. not really bothered about pricerange as im gonna go through djfinancedirect.

Only problem with rokits is that they're very coloured, but for dj'ing and listening to music they're fine.

Look at things like a pair of Adam A7X's if you're serious about producing :).
(Also hi-fi sets are terrible for mixing and producing in general, due to the overly coloured sound.)

Only problem with rokits is that they're very coloured, but for dj'ing and listening to music they're fine.

(Also hi-fi sets are terrible for mixing and producing in general, due to the overly coloured sound.)

to be honest im a complete noob with production so these will be mostly for mixing. at the moment i just use headphones to 'produce' i use the word lightly as i usually dont 'produce' anything!!

to be honest, i get along with the rokits just fine, people will say they are coloured and what not, but this only makes a massive difference if your sitting in a perfect shaped perfectly treated room. my mate has the mackie equivilants, but due to the size and shape of his room, its like a full on bass fest wherever you stand! for mixing , the rokits sound great, and people have said to me that my mixdowns (using rokits) are spot on (not bragging btw). Obviously im slightl biased, but i cant argue with the adams comment., but they are a hell of a lot more expensive. for me, you cant go wrong with rokit 8's, bang for your buck i dont think theres much better, If your just getting started with producing they will be plenty good enough!

just my thoughts

i found my mixing improved when i got my rockits.
reason being, i could hear each track and all of its elements more clearer. but to be fair, my set up i had before them was very bass heavy and not very clear.

i would try and go somewhere where you can listen to different models within your budget and make an informed decision from there.

Krks are great, especially for the price! they sound good when mixing and they are also good for production, they are slightly coloured but once you know the monitors they are fine for production!

Cartel, just means you've learned how to mix properly on them in your room environment :p.
With my monitors I have to boost the low mids by about 4db to compensate for my room and monitors, + It helps to double check your lows on a set of good headphones.

But I do agree regardless, nothing wrong with rokits, just have to learn how to compensate for their bass output.

Ive got these, they are the fucking mack daddy! I'd never ever use them for mixing on tho!!

If you are taking about mixing in the DJ sense of mixing tracks on some decks, then hifi speakers are fine, probably preferable as they will have more bass and are more "fun" to listen to. They are cheaper too, you don't need to spend hundreds on speakers if they are just for listening.

For production though, you want proper monitors with a flat frequency response.

yeah basically i just want some decent active speakers for mixing on. cant be arsed with big old hifi speakers with amp etc.

For mixing down or mastering you dont want a single Hi-Fi in the process. You need the most accurate signal response from your auxilary input on your computer all the way through electronic transmission of electrons into sound. So you need as pure and accurate a sound as possible. Unless like I've said before you really know what frequency looks, feels, and sounds like then you could maybe go off of the amount they added extra stuff to a hi fi speaker, and how a monitor should sound and disregard and ignore the extra added colour the hi fi adds. Then only you are playing with the pure ffrequency, but still guessing.So just stick to monitors. You really would need to know the accurate response of a monitor and how sound is supposed to sound and knowing how any speaker sounds, with or without added colour and brightness, then you could use hi fi! But unless you know the frequency itself its best to go with monitors!

My short, and best answer is go with monitors. You need unrelentless power and accuracy! Learn frequency more bro! Its soo awesome! :) haha

Here is a whole thread though to answer your question about monitors. It has the headphone topic in as well but you get the point, lots of good pointers about monitoring in there as well. http://dnbforum.com/showthread.php/167217-monitors-and-headphones

Back
Top Bottom