Question!

Robin Chibi

Where would a begininer/newbie with dedicated will to learn be able to get into the community and start making some basic beats?

Thanks,
Dan

well first off you need something to make your beats on m8.
could be software or hardware.
What have you got? PC/MAC ? etc
Once youve got your software or hardware best place to go is Youtube - search for tutorials on your hard/software.
Come back with more info about what you have or how much you wanna spend etc and we can help out more.
:drums:

well first off you need something to make your beats on m8.
could be software or hardware.
What have you got? PC/MAC ? etc
Once youve got your software or hardware best place to go is Youtube - search for tutorials on your hard/software.
Come back with more info about what you have or how much you wanna spend etc and we can help out more.
:drums:

I have a PC, Windows 7. What type of software do you recommend? Also, what equipment would I need to buy, I can pretty much afford anything =p

As for my taste in music, I like glitch hop, dubstep, drumstep, house music, and a lot more but those are my favs.

Last edited:
Lucky you

Well there's lot's of software;

Scrap logic because it's mac only.

Cubase, FL Studio, Ableton, Reason, Studio One, Sony Acid.

All good software & do the same thing just in different ways. I'd recommend getting demo's of all them and seeing which one you like the most. If you demo Cubase most people are thrown off because it doesn't look particularly nice & it's complicated. But if you stick it out it's very very powerful software.

To be honest all of them are powerful and take some time to learn but yeah. Give em a try.

Firstly, get trials of each DAW...the 3 main ones for Windows are...

Fruityloops - A easy to use, sometimes considered inferior DAW however its capabilities are being realised and its being used by a large amount of high profile producers now. Good inbuilt builts, cheap too.

http://www.image-line.com/downloads/flstudiodownload.html

Cubase - A profession DAW with advanced and trusted components, expensive but worth it.

http://www.steinberg.net/en/products/cubase/trial_version.html

Reason - A visual and all-in-one DAW, you can purchase VSTs (3rd party instruments or "plugins") which is a downfall however its more than enough to produce and further understanding of music.

http://www.propellerheads.se/download/

Each are as good as one another the only difference is workflow and feel...get trials and see which one is best for you...Once you have a DAW but some sample packs and watch some tutorials and start playing...

External equipment is really necissary however a decent pair of studio monitors (up to £300ish) will be a great help and a 2nd larger display monitor to work on would be benificial.

I have a PC, Windows 7. What type of software do you recommend? Also, what equipment would I need to buy, I can pretty much afford anything =p

afford anything? the list of hard/software you could buy is endless.

for a beginner id suggest a DAW(logic, fruity loops, cubase etc.) and a midi keyboard. Then once youve gotten used to using the synths and layering drums and percussion etc. you could buy a few vst instruments/plugins.

Depends completely on if you have any experience at all though

yeah dual monitors is a must imo. literally doubled my work flow when i got a second monitor.

speakers, audio interface are essential yeah. midi keyboards come in handy.

if you can really afford anything buy the SSL Waves pack. High quality production tools.

yeah everything these guys have said.
If you want to do it on a budget then you only need to buy a soundcard and some software. Getting decent speakers is advisable but maybe not straight away in case you dont like producing. dont want to blow loads of cash straight away - but its up to you.
Most of the big named software do demo versions - so best thing to do is download a demo. Watch a tutorial and see how it goes.
If you like it and get into it then i would advise investing in some proper monitor speakers and a midi keyboard.
But you can get started for next to nothing. just be aware that it can take months to really get into producing. all depends how much effort you put in and how determined you are to make choons.

Getting decent speakers is advisable but maybe not straight away in case you dont like producing.
I'd say proper monitors or at least some good headphones are the first thing I would buy. You wanna be able to hear what you are doing after all. Even if you're not producing and just listen to tunes or Djing. It's just a more quality experience and you will learn how things should sound ;)

I'd say proper monitors or at least some good headphones are the first thing I would buy. You wanna be able to hear what you are doing after all. Even if you're not producing and just listen to tunes or Djing. It's just a more quality experience and you will learn how things should sound ;)

What software is the easiest to learn, I tried ableton live and I had to practically read a book to learn it.

Also, I already have a 5.1 surround sound system, would that be good for speaker wise? And I have a second monitor in the other room which I rarely use, it's a flatscreen 20'' monitor.

lol
none are "easy" unfortunately mate.
just dedicate some months to learning it and you'll be away. It's an "on going" thing.

I've been making tunes using Cubase for about four years now and i'm still learning new things about the software and production all the time.

---------- Post added at 17:55 ---------- Previous post was at 17:53 ----------

and no. a 5.1 system is not a good idea unless your making surround sound music/film effects.

you want a pair of studio monitors.

lol
none are "easy" unfortunately mate.
just dedicate some months to learning it and you'll be away. It's an "on going" thing.

I've been making tunes using Cubase for about four years now and i'm still learning new things about the software and production all the time.

---------- Post added at 17:55 ---------- Previous post was at 17:53 ----------

and no. a 5.1 system is not a good idea unless your making surround sound music/film effects.

you want a pair of studio monitors.

What pair of studio monitors do you have? What's a good brand... Is there any that makes 1 better than another besides coord length or stuff like that...?

Oh and by easy I meant, which is more user-friendly, I realize everything takes hard work in life and nothing comes easy, not a newb at life =]

Last edited:
well the sky is the limit on monitor speakers. how much you want to spend? if you go for big brands you wont go wrong (krk's etc). but thats a whole subject on its own.
i think every daw is used by someone on this forum. so it depends who you ask "what is the easiest to get started"

Choosing software is a personal thing mate, once you learn the DAW you are using then it will become user friendly!

I use Cubase too and have been producing for I think 9 months now. I am happy with the progress I have made but still have a long long way to go!

I see your point that ableton live isn't very welcoming/user friendly. I personally thought Cubase was pretty easy to navigate after some time using it :)

For you though I think Fruity Loops may be a good idea. Lots and lots of people use it when they start producing and it will take them all the way as well! Another option could be Reason as a beginner. This offers everything you will need from the word go! There is no VST support though so you will be limited to what they give you, although, as I am sure a Reason user can explain, you are provided with plenty!

Jordan

Another option could be Reason as a beginner. This offers everything you will need from the word go! There is no VST support though so you will be limited to what they give you
And that is actually an advantage. It;s too easy to torrent all sorts of plug ins, just click trough presets but not learning what they actually do.... Just get one DAW for the start, stick to it, learn it properly. You can definitely create a good tune with just the build in tools of whatever daw you choose. It's all about the time you put into it ;)

Back
Top Bottom