Question...

hyperd4eva

H&M SCARVES
VIP Junglist
I used to mix every night without fail when I was learning to beat match and I was properly eager and up for getting better. Nowadays iv turned lazy when it comes to mixing, I have an hour mix once a week at the moment. Just don't have the drive for it right now. Not sure why to be honest. How often you guys manage to get on your decks and have u ever gone through a cant be arsed faze?

try to motivate yourself. works different for everyone. some people get motivated by listening to other mixes, some other by just taking a week off or so

I always found that if I was buying tunes at the time I would always be mixing more. I've cut down my spending on vinyl quite a bit but find if I'm getting a bit bored of hearing the same old tunes just go back through B-sides and albums for something different. I've found quite a few bits I'm into now that I wasn't so much before and found other bits I never realised I had.

i was thinking bout this today.. its hard to motivate yourself looking at a wall. I dont mix for a while and collect loads of tunes then have a massive mix with a fresh bagfull.. If your having DJ block then that is the time to produce!!

i was thinking bout this today.. its hard to motivate yourself looking at a wall. I dont mix for a while and collect loads of tunes then have a massive mix with a fresh bagfull.. If your having DJ block then that is the time to produce!!

Wish I could mate.. Just never been so lapse practising. Gonna go have a mix right now!! lol

I used to mix every night without fail when I was learning to beat match and I was properly eager and up for getting better. Nowadays iv turned lazy when it comes to mixing, I have an hour mix once a week at the moment. Just don't have the drive for it right now. Not sure why to be honest. How often you guys manage to get on your decks and have u ever gone through a cant be arsed faze?

try digging out the tunes you were mixing when you were on it... might re-kindle that flame!?

try digging out the tunes you were mixing when you were on it... might re-kindle that flame!?

dunno man, I find ill go week 2 weeks without a mix. then i will record one and get on it again. I suppose i just now have other things which keep me occupied. Need to change it though

I always mix loads after a good night out, like a few weekends ago I went to fabric when it was pretty much a shogun night with friction icicle and rockwell, then did metalheadz the day after. And after that I was mixing for ages every day for about a week. But then it slowly dies down and now my bro has gone off to uni and taken his speakers, which were the only good ones so I'm probably not going to be on it much, or at least not until I get some new speakers.

And as some people said before, if ever you're getting bored of it, switch some of the tunes in your box with some that you don't normally play and mix tunes that you've never tried playing together just to stop it being repetitive

Last edited:
Pretty much every day without fail, even if its just grabbing 2 or 3 tunes that might suddenly pop into my head.

Fridays / Saturdays probably about 4 - 5 hours on and off if I dont go out.

I used to mix everyday, now it's more like when I buy tunes, I got to mix them, try them out so to speak. Still trying to do at least one mix per month while keeping it enjoyable for myself by changing sub-genres (meaning I do one dancefloor mix, the next one techy and so on) :)

you need to be inspired
i always feel like having a mix with some gritty tunes when im pissed off, makes me feel better!

get some new tunes, dig out your old ones
listen to some mixtapes get some inspiration from that
or listen to one of you own old mixtapes and then re create it, see if you can do the same mixes again but better, set yourself some sort challenge, learn a new trick like scratching / beat juggling maybe

Back
Top Bottom