Question regarding BPM

Dark Lizardro

The Lizard that used to have a hammer
VIP Junglist
Hey there, guys!

In my last drum and bass track, I wanted a more neurofunk/darkstep feel to it. I got pretty satisfied with the overall tone of the song, but I used a tempo of 190BPM. I tried lower tempos (175BPM, 180BPM, 185BPM), but I felt that the song lost some of it's aggressiveness. I've read somewhere that when you do a drum and bass track above the 180BPM tempo, it falls under the breakcore genre. Is that true? Because I listen to breakcore too (like Venetian Snares and Distimia), but my song is not like that.

agree with derpz... i went one a crazy trip once and realised after playing my tunes at different tempos, a drop or rise in even just one bpm changes the hole vibe... its probably more subconscious but i was messed up on psychedelics my subconscious was very much conscious but yeah it its doesnt work then maybe it just doesnt work... leave it... drum and bass stems from like 160 all the way to 200

doesnt really matter, as long as it has all the other dnb elements. although i like my neurofunk to be around 172bpm with more a groove than pure tear out dnb. Thats just me tho

ideally, you really want to be at around 170-175, because at 190, if a DJ were to play your tune, he'd have to slow it down a shit ton, and in doing that, the change in pitch would be quite drastic.

Really, tempo doesn't matter, it's just about being DJ friendly.

ideally, you really want to be at around 170-175, because at 190, if a DJ were to play your tune, he'd have to slow it down a shit ton, and in doing that, the change in pitch would be quite drastic.

Really, tempo doesn't matter, it's just about being DJ friendly.

Could you explain this to me? I'm no DJ, and I don't want to be one, I just want to produce songs. Couldn't the DJ just adjust the tempo of his "set" (is this how it's called?) to the song he's playing? This question popped out because I've listened to a Noisia live set, and they have their neurofunk followed by some dubstep, and clearly those don't follow the same tempo.

Could you explain this to me? I'm no DJ, and I don't want to be one, I just want to produce songs. Couldn't the DJ just adjust the tempo of his "set" (is this how it's called?) to the song he's playing? This question popped out because I've listened to a Noisia live set, and they have their neurofunk followed by some dubstep, and clearly those don't follow the same tempo.

well as a producer of "dance music", should you ever reach a level of professionalism, the majority of your exposure will come from DJ's playing your shit in raves and clubs. And if you make a tune a pain in the arse to throw in the mix, they probably won't bother.

A DJ most likely wouldn't play a set at around 172, then suddenly cut to the drop of a tune at 190, then back to 172.....it ruins flow and confuses the crowd.

doing cross-genre sets is different, because they're usually split into the different genres, rather than different speed all over the place, they'll try find some clever way to go from one tempo to a much slower one without ruining the flow of the mix.

- - - Updated - - -

theres no need for a dnb tune to be that fast...if you want speed and aggresiveness, you can do that by other means.

and this means alternating hi hats, more agressive patterns and ghost notes?

essentially yeah. I'm no good at it myself, but if you want that sort of 'pace' like many noisia tunes have, that's the way to go about it.

pretty much all theie tunes are at 172, but many of them sound 'faster' than tunes that are at 175+

essentially yeah. I'm no good at it myself, but if you want that sort of 'pace' like many noisia tunes have, that's the way to go about it.

pretty much all theie tunes are at 172, but many of them sound 'faster' than tunes that are at 175+

Well then. I'm already composing another Dnb song, so maybe I'll give it a try.

The most important thing is how it feels to you. Go with your heart.

Having said that 190 is a hella fast. Maybe you could make some dnb/gabba hybrid. Of course to be considered a real genre you have to add step to the end. Good luck with your Gabbastep sound.

Back
Top Bottom