question on levels for mastering...

Dubsta

VIP Junglist
Before sending a track to be mastered ive been told it needs to be at a level to give them something to play with.....Im assuming this means the volumn.....im using reason.....so cant really get a good reading of the levels.....or can i?

and what level is best 6db? maybe?

Im really green with the mastering side of things so any advice would be well appreciated. thanks

Usually they say it can peak only at -3db or -6db. So keep it AT LEAST under -3db so they have dynamic range headroom. I think you can use some voxengo pluygins to check peaking. No limiters, or eq at master. I think cutting the <20hz and >20khz is ok tho.

Get Voxengo Spam (its free) when you send a track to get mastered they need at least 3db to master with. So make sure its not peaking over -3db. If you have Spam check that your RMS does not go below 15. This should leave plenty of headroom for the mastering engineer to work with. Peace

p.s I am not sure how reason audio works but if I was you I would bounce it out and put it into another DAW (If you have one).

Just contacted my sound engineer i'll be sending my track for mastering to, he preferred -4dB on peak. In reason it's very easy to check your output peak check the image and numbers for the steps:

1. Make sure you have the right channel selected you can see that because of the green bars popping out (click the square under the bars mine is currently selected and red)
2. Tick both Peak and Infinte
3. Play your entire track and in the end just check what volume the peak reached, mine is currently at -14 isch.

Q9zzZ.png

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom